Newbie with way too much bike.

NeuronBasher

Jan 10, 2022
North Carolina
HI all, new forum member from the Raleigh, North Carolina area. I'm super excited about my new 2022 Turbo Levo Comp Alloy (just arrived last week) and how it can help my late 40s self get out on the trails and focus more on fun, with exercise being a nice bonus side effect. I'm very much a newbie and have way more bike than I need, probably forever.

Currently just working on getting in some laps on local trails with a goal to make it out to the Kanuga ebike friendly bike park in the Spring.

I've been lurking on the forums for some time, thanks to everyone who participates in making this a community full of great information and encouragement.

Here's an obligatory pic of my new bike.

FIhEfeMXIAQlhFj.jpeg

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
HI all, new forum member from the Raleigh, North Carolina area. I'm super excited about my new 2022 Turbo Levo Comp Alloy (just arrived last week) and how it can help my late 40s self get out on the trails and focus more on fun, with exercise being a nice bonus side effect. I'm very much a newbie and have way more bike than I need, probably forever.

Currently just working on getting in some laps on local trails with a goal to make it out to the Kanuga ebike friendly bike park in the Spring.

I've been lurking on the forums for some time, thanks to everyone who participates in making this a community full of great information and encouragement.

View attachment 79783
Nice!! Same bike (but red) supposed to be in my hands inside a month. Replacing a 2019 Giant Trance +1 Pro which has served me well for over 10,000 kilometres with no motor problems. Will be sad to see it go.
If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost in USD$?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Hello & welcome ..hope you have a lot of fun on your new bike ..you might think you have too much bike but as your skill set / experience grows so will your appreciation of what your bike is capable of .. you will grow into it ..and you are never to old to learn ..
Late 40's means you are still a relatively young man ..certainly on this forum ...and I'm definitely in the camp that thinks you can never be "over biked " ..
All the best ...👍

NeuronBasher

Jan 10, 2022
North Carolina
If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost in USD$?

I paid the MSRP of $7500 for it.Ingotnit by signing up for in-stock notifications on the Specialized site and ordering it there when the S2 size popped up as available. They shipped it to my LBS where it was assembled and waiting for mea little over a week after I ordered.

It’s the second time I’ve done that and it’s been a good experience both times.

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
Welcome from a fellow newbie! I second The Hodge, you can never have too much bike. The better the equipment the more confidence it will lend you in the learning process. I'm a former Appalachian boy (Charlottesville, VA) I'm sure they're plenty of great trails to ride in the area. I love NC. Have fun!

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I paid the MSRP of $7500 for it.Ingotnit by signing up for in-stock notifications on the Specialized site and ordering it there when the S2 size popped up as available. They shipped it to my LBS where it was assembled and waiting for mea little over a week after I ordered.

It’s the second time I’ve done that and it’s been a good experience both times.
Interesting. That is approx. USD$1000 cheaper than the NZ RRP ( recommended retail price)( NZD $12,500). Comparing similar spec'd Giant and Specialized e-MTBs, Giant gives you more bangs for your buck. I can hardly wait to get my hands on my Levo Turbo Comp! Hope I am not disappointed. Good luck with your new bike. Maintain it after each ride and you should have many years of enjoyable riding.

SurreySteve

Jan 9, 2022
Surrey Hills
Welcome from a fellow newbie! I second The Hodge, you can never have too much bike. The better the equipment the more confidence it will lend you in the learning process. I'm a former Appalachian boy (Charlottesville, VA) I'm sure they're plenty of great trails to ride in the area. I love NC. Have fun!
Does it work different on a eBike ?
I hate being over biked on a normal bike .. it just sucks the fun out of my local riding. (Which is pretty much what Paul rides on his YT)

I’m trying to get my head around the new reality and hoping the more fun and less effort going back up will be a trade off for lack of fun on the way down.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've not experienced any lack of fun on the way down ..quite the opposite in fact ..( Whyte e160 rs )..thats me coming from a Whyte T130rs & a Santa Cruz Nomad before that ..

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
Well, I'm having a blast. Emtbs are heavy going down, there's no denying, all the more reason to have a good amount of travel. They require quite a bit more of umph to track you're line. I'm tackling trails both up and down I wouldn't have managed before. And techie uphills have become a joy!

NeuronBasher

Jan 10, 2022
North Carolina
Yeah, I'm definitely not having less fun on this bike than I was. My point about too much bike was really just that it's got far more capability than I do right now, which is great because it gives me more space to grow into. I'm loving it.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Enjoy that new bike it looks great! Take your time and enjoy doing what you're comfortable riding. There's no harm in getting off if need be, much better than getting hurt. These eMTB's are a game changer IMHO.

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Yeah, I'm definitely not having less fun on this bike than I was. My point about too much bike was really just that it's got far more capability than I do right now, which is great because it gives me more space to grow into. I'm loving it.
Neuron:
What you will probably find is that a beginner skilled rider will be able to ride beginner trails the same as they did on an analog bike. Moving to intermediate trails the intermediate skilled rider may get themselves into trouble on more advanced sections of the intermediate trail going uphill. The application of the additional power from the Ebike can get a rider in trouble in those more difficult sections. Lastly, an advanced rider will likely also be more likely to get in trouble going uphill on an Ebike if they are an aggressive rider. Uphill terrain that wasn’t rideable previously will now be rideable, so the new aggressive advanced skilled rider on an Ebike will be trying to clean uphill terrain that they previously walked. Therefore the chance that they might try to ride a spot that wasn’t rideable previously might still be unrideable and trying to ride it could result in a crash. Whether the crash would lead to an injury is unknown, but crashes sometimes do.

Riding level or downhill terrain shouldn’t be any more difficult unless you are increasing your speed significantly from riding your analog bike.

If you damage your Ebike so it won’t ride for you and you aren’t a good trailside mechanic you won’t have much fun pushing your bike back to you car. I am a good trailside mechanic so when I am unable to fix my broken bike it sucks to push it back to a pickup point. Carry a spare tube so if you get a flat you can’t fix maybe a nice trailside mechanic you come across might change the tube for you.

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
Neuron, any advice for improving my downhill runs? I'm an intermediate rider and find myself managing technical uphills with confidence. Once I got used to the sensitivity of emtb mode, it's a real pleasure to use after previously only using trail mode on a Canyon with a shimano motor. I can't get past the psychological barrier of flying downhill. I'm not a snail but my times are pretty crap by comparison with flat ground or uphills. Oh, and it's a must to always carry a tube, pump and trusty gauge among other necessities. Being stranded in the wilderness with a flat sucks.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

Welcome to the ebike club! I am sure you will have many years of enjoyment. Please ride within your abilities (its all about progression) as we have enough newbies who have bought their first ebike and rip around on the flats and blast past other riders on the hills, only to get slaughtered (and get in the way) on the downhills by riders on acoustic bikes. These kind of behaviors are not only poor etiquette but fill the other forums with fuel against ebikers. Know your limits and ride within them. Find someone to ride with and remember, you are never too old or too good to take some lessons!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Ride, read a book, ride some more.
Mastering Mountain Bike Skills, second edition unless there is a third.
Brian Lopez and Lee McCormack’s book will help you grow you skills.

An excellent book to read! Brian Lopes, although a tad arrogant and a bit of a dick in person, with the help of Lee, have put together a great book. There are also many very good online Youtubers that have put together some progressive series such as:

Joy of Bike with Alex Bogusky
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCucbPdaUiex4Atyl2XCP18Q

Rich Drew
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRebP4wYkzzYvKCC7ej4k_g

There is also value in recording yourself riding and analyzing what needs work. It can be very revealing how you think you ride compared to how you actually ride.

Progression

Last edited:
May 4, 2018
Canberra

View attachment 79783
Beautiful looking rig. Dont worry re age.. im 57 and the great think about mtb alike surfing is no one cares about age ... just that you are diing what you enjoy.

And theres not too much bike... just take your time and ride to your ability .

Enjoy

emtber

Oct 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
It's a beauty Neuron! I like your color much better than my maroon Expert I picked up in Oct. Wish they had the latest models back then. I use to be a light roadie in my 20s-30s, but quit for skiing and golf. Now I'm back and an emtb newbie at 69! I had a fair number of crashes early on, so I quickly protected myself with plenty of body armor, but not before collecting a few scars on the knees, shins and elbows. So my advice is to buy protection before you get hurt from the inevitable falls. It doesn't matter how athletic you are, s**t happens, right? Hard pack, trees and rocks are not forgiving, at any speed. Since armoring up, my only injury has been a scrape on the thigh from a branch that got around my knee pad. With experience, I've been crashing a lot less less, and shoulder and hip padding has allowed me to go unscathed after some good tumbles. Armor cannot save us completely, but it can help a lot and is worth the investment. As others have said, try to ride well within your ability. That way you can really get intune with the handling, balance, brakes and traction, and slowly learn and improve your skills. It's hard to be aware of and improve one's skills at high speed cuz you're full of adrenaline and trying to hang on. As you no doubt discovered, the 29 wheel rolls over everything, even a curb, so it goes fast quickly and is very capable, making it easy to go much faster than a newbie will be able to handle. The faster you go, the harder it is to maintain control and the more serious the damage is likely to be when something goes wrong, which happens to newbs and experts alike. I know I sound like an overly cautious old guy, which is true to some extent, but I am athletic and know how to learn physical skills, and youtube is full of riders getting severely hurt. Don't, like them, be a victim of your own enthusiasm. To be ready for that bike park in the spring, riding often, at slow and moderate speeds, will allow you to develop your skills the quickest and fall the least. As for our bikes, I am riding in the high and steep setup for the easiest maneuverability. Using the +1 deg headset cup steepens the HTA to 65.5 which is a good trail bike setting and makes the bike noticeably easier to turn than the slacker HT settings, but I have an S3 and your S2 was easier to maneuver, so perhaps you're good to go with the stock headset. One thing I've learned recently is that the Gen 3 turns best when I weight the front tire properly. As a newbie, I did not know how to do this, especially on tight turns going uphill, where the tendency is for gravity to keep me back on the saddle. Also, instructors say to sit in the saddle of an ebike and allow your body weight to provide traction on the back wheel. For the Levo, these things makes the bike go straighter and turns are much too wide, often straight off the trail. I've since learned to get to the front of the saddle on the ups, or slightly off, and lean well forward, where I can put some pressure on the bars and front tire. Not a lot of pressure or I can't steer accurately, just enough to make the edges of the tire dig in and bring the bike around. Now I have to take it easy so I don't overturn! There's a lot of finesse to riding well that is not apparent. I plan on getting some instruction in the spring. Light hands, heavy feet!

Last edited:

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
It's a beauty Neuron! I like your color much better than my maroon Expert I picked up in Oct. Wish they had the latest models back then. I use to be a light roadie in my 20s-30s, but quit for skiing and golf. Now I'm back and an emtb newbie at 69! I had a fair number of crashes early on, so I quickly protected myself with plenty of body armor, but not before collecting a few scars on the knees, shins and elbows. So my advice is to buy protection before you get hurt from the inevitable falls. It doesn't matter how athletic you are, s**t happens, right? Hard pack, trees and rocks are not forgiving, at any speed. Since armoring up, my only injury has been a scrape on the thigh from a branch that got around my knee pad. With experience, I've been crashing a lot less less, and shoulder and hip padding has allowed me to go unscathed after some good tumbles. Armor cannot save us completely, but it can help a lot and is worth the investment. As others have said, try to ride well within your ability. That way you can really get intune with the handling, balance, brakes and traction, and slowly learn and improve your skills. It's hard to be aware of and improve one's skills at high speed cuz you're full of adrenaline and trying to hang on. As you no doubt discovered, the 29 wheel rolls over everything, even a curb, so it goes fast quickly and is very capable, making it easy to go much faster than a newbie will be able to handle. The faster you go, the harder it is to maintain control and the more serious the damage is likely to be when something goes wrong, which happens to newbs and experts alike. I know I sound like an overly cautious old guy, which is true to some extent, but I am athletic and know how to learn physical skills, and youtube is full of riders getting severely hurt. Don't, like them, be a victim of your own enthusiasm. To be ready for that bike park in the spring, riding often, at slow and moderate speeds, will allow you to develop your skills the quickest and fall the least. As for our bikes, I am riding in the high and steep setup for the easiest maneuverability. Using the +1 deg headset cup steepens the HTA to 65.5 which is a good trail bike setting and makes the bike noticeably easier to turn than the slacker HT settings, but I have an S3 and your S2 was easier to maneuver, so perhaps you're good to go with the stock headset. One thing I've learned recently is that the Gen 3 turns best when I weight the front tire properly. As a newbie, I did not know how to do this, especially on tight turns going uphill, where the tendency is for gravity to keep me back on the saddle. Also, instructors say to sit in the saddle of an ebike and allow your body weight to provide traction on the back wheel. For the Levo, these things makes the bike go straighter and turns are much too wide, often straight off the trail. I've since learned to get to the front of the saddle on the ups, or slightly off, and lean well forward, where I can put some pressure on the bars and front tire. Not a lot of pressure or I can't steer accurately, just enough to make the edges of the tire dig in and bring the bike around. Now I have to take it easy so I don't overturn! There's a lot of finesse to riding well that is not apparent. I plan on getting some instruction in the spring. Light hands, heavy feet!
You forgot elbows bent. Having bent elbows while you ride allows the rider to push the front of the bike forward when going over obstacles or off drops.

DirtFarmer

Dec 12, 2021
Lethbridge
An excellent book to read! Brian Lopes, although a tad arrogant and a bit of a dick in person, with the help of Lee, have put together a great book. There are also many very good online Youtubers that have put together some progressive series such as:

Joy of Bike with Alex Bogusky
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCucbPdaUiex4Atyl2XCP18Q

Rich Drew
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRebP4wYkzzYvKCC7ej4k_g

There is also value in recording yourself riding and analyzing what needs work. It can be very revealing how you think you ride compared to how you actually ride.

Progression

Don't forget Roxy’s Ride & Inspire.

CvK

Jan 13, 2022
USA
I’m just about 45 and can’t say enough about armoring up and working skills progression. I’m jumping back in after years of other sports. My mind is still pretty quick but after getting back in the saddle I’ve needed to rebaseline my reaction speeds. Also really like these guys:

Cdillardktm

Feb 2, 2022
Dallas TX
I'm 51 years young and I ordered The same bike but red 4 weeks ago from my local bike shop. I'm told I will have in my hands within 2 weeks. Over the last 25 years I have been riding my KTM 350 dirt bike on single tracks. 2 years ago I decided to get back into mountain biking. I purchased a specialized fuse hardtail. Seat time will give you the most confidence and those jumps and drop-offs look way more scary than they actually are.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles