Newbie to eMTB

freaks

Jun 6, 2020
Bangor
Hey, I’ve got my Rockrider e-st900 hardtail a couple of weeks ago and it puts a smile on my face every day!

I use it mainly for commuting the 2 miles to and from work instead of the car (Bought on the cycle to work scheme so max was £2k). It’s all uphill on the way home so the eMTB is perfect, especially after a 12 hr night shift. I‘ve been out for few 10+ mile rides and always try to go off road for at least part of it. I’m over 50 now so can’t really see myself doing full on downhill biking.

I‘ve already upgraded the tyres to Maxxis Tubeless and have ordered a Suntour suspension seatpost to save my back. Just don’t tell the wife... Any suggestions what next, pedals maybe...

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I say just ride it and see if anything bothers you. Otherwise, make sure you have the tools needed to get going again if something goes wrong. Also, if you don't want me to tell your wife about your new seatpost, then my strongest suggestion is don't read the "what did you buy for your bike today?" thread.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m over 50 now so can’t really see myself doing full on downhill biking.
Never say never ! 18 months ago I bought a decathlon EMTB hard tail... 10 months and various broken bones later I had a kenevo.. ??

If you do go that route, worry first about you, not the bike.. decent helmet, knee pads. Then if you start to be more stupid, body armour.

Enjoy it, it's great whatever you do ??

freaks

Jun 6, 2020
Bangor
Never say never ! 18 months ago I bought a decathlon EMTB hard tail... 10 months and various broken bones later I had a kenevo.. ??

If you do go that route, worry first about you, not the bike.. decent helmet, knee pads. Then if you start to be more stupid, body armour.

Enjoy it, it's great whatever you do ??
I’ve never had a broken bone, can’t wait ?!!! Really can’t see me getting an “upgrade” anytime soon. Have to pay off the cycle 2 work scheme loan first!

freaks

Jun 6, 2020
Bangor
I say just ride it and see if anything bothers you. Otherwise, make sure you have the tools needed to get going again if something goes wrong. Also, if you don't want me to tell your wife about your new seatpost, then my strongest suggestion is don't read the "what did you buy for your bike today?" thread.
This new hobby looks like it’s about to get (even more) expensive!

freaks

Jun 6, 2020
Bangor
Also looking at a larger chainring as I only seem to be using gears 7-10 with my 34T. Considering a 40T direct from Miranda website for €50.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Also looking at a larger chainring as I only seem to be using gears 7-10 with my 34T. Considering a 40T direct from Miranda website for €50.

I have exactly the same bike, and did these modifications:
-Added rain fenders
-dropper post
-Maxxis 2.8 Rekon+ skinwall
-Bike kickstand
-42t instead of 34t

42t gives you 1mm clearance to the rear frame, a 44t won't fit.
Don't forget to buy a longer e10 or x10e chain

It is (kind of difficult) possible to get the 34t off, putting the 42t on is easy

Pic of the bike here: New Rockrider E-st 900 mountainbiker from Belgium - EMTB Forums

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles