Newbie posting - pls be gentle!

Dave365

Feb 24, 2021
Gravesend
Hi all, completely new to the forum and indeed just purchased my first ever electric MTB!! Unfortunately the green eyed monster got the better of me after watching my mate waiting for me at the top of the hills smiling whilst I slowly crawled up them - it began to get a bit demoralising.....
Anyway after using his a couple of times, i completely got the bug, especially as it now gives the ability of going to much further different locations that before i wouldn't have dreamed of on the usual MTB without the car (a real nightmare in lock-down).
So plumped for an off the shelf jobbie from Decathlon, the Rockrider E-ST900 - as it had really good overall reviews and after doing a few test rides on my mates was very impressed for the money.
Literally just took delivery of it, so now looking forward to repeating some of our recent treks but with a bit of added assistance!
As far as I can see it there are 2 major criticisms of the bike, and I have also seen this on other reviews, firstly and most importantly are the stock tyres that come with it, which are the Hutchinson Taipan Koloss 27.5+ tyres (2.8" cross section) on 27.5+ Sunringle Duroc 40 Wheels (with 36mm rims).
Lets just say they are not particularly good in the wet mud in the woods! The only time my non electric MTB actually outperformed it!
Any suggestions for a tubeless tyre set-up? Looking for some intermediates as do a bit of all round riding, part road, part canal paths, part woodland trails etc., so no one specific type just a good all rounder? (Hoping to do North & South Downs way etc.)
Secondly, and not as important from riding perspective is the stupid placement of bottle holder - on top of the very high cross frame - not sure who came up with that idea - but a non-starter as don't fancy resting on it when not on seat!
Any help much appreciated.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
How about this next time you're in Decathlon?

1614173387230.png

You'll never get a definitive answer if you ask about tyres but a common combo in your tyre size is the Maxxis DHF with DHR and there's a whole subsection on this forum about tyres and setting up tubeless.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles