Newbie here from Gunnison CO

GunnyAmp

Aug 25, 2018
Gunnison, CO
Have been riding Moto for years and just started riding MTB’s. Having a blast riding but feel really limited in my range and uphill capabilities. Starting my research on EMTB’s and looking forward to learning from this group. Anyone on here in the Gunny / CB area?

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
They don't have any dealers in the US. There US HQ is in Golden. I demoed them at a demo event in Snowmass. My last 2 bikes are 29ers, 27.5+ this time, the meta power race probably

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I'm a TuneUp fan myself. I'd start there. Say Hi to Dave-mo from Bigwheel.....

But quite frankly I don't think any of the manufactured bikes at this time are suitable for that area. I had my 1000w hub motor any road bike with me a few years ago when I was back in the area for PP40 and rode to the very top of Hartman's on it and back down Bambi's from town. Not to mention up, and over Paradise at least, every drainage around CB. Then I rode my Townie over PP for the event analog and as I now live at sea level the miles I put on my eBike really helped me to acclimate.

I use a 52v TSDZ2 kit motor on my old steel 29"er for my mtb. It has features the manufacturers lack but better things are coming out every day it seems. It does the job at a lot less cost if you already have a bike you like and are willing to convert.

GunnyAmp

Aug 25, 2018
Gunnison, CO
I'm a TuneUp fan myself. I'd start there. Say Hi to Dave-mo from Bigwheel.....

But quite frankly I don't think any of the manufactured bikes at this time are suitable for that area. I had my 1000w hub motor any road bike with me a few years ago when I was back in the area for PP40 and rode to the very top of Hartman's on it and back down Bambi's from town. Not to mention up, and over Paradise at least, every drainage around CB. Then I rode my Townie over PP for the event analog and as I now live at sea level the miles I put on my eBike really helped me to acclimate.

I use a 52v TSDZ2 kit motor on my old steel 29"er for my mtb. It has features the manufacturers lack but better things are coming out every day it seems. It does the job at a lot less cost if you already have a bike you like and are willing to convert.

Can you share some more info on your setup? Pics? Battery? I am up for a DIY project for sure

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Can you share some more info on your setup? Pics? Battery? I am up for a DIY project for sure

I use a TSDZ2 52v mid drive that has torque assist instead of cadence sensing which is key: They are available online and easy to install in a standard 68 or 73mm bb but this US based reseller has good rep and knows the TS as well as anyone: NEW VERSION 52v TSDZ2 - VLDC 5 w/ Throttle, E-brakes, Light Cables - Re-Cycles E-bikes

A caveat here is that the stock chainring, a 42t, makes for horrible chainline in the granny gears. I made a conversion to another 42t as it is the smallest ring that will fit past the gear reduction casing and that solved it. You need an offset chainring and an adapter for that. He will know what you need if you ask for it probably.

With a 52v 10ah battery I can get around 3.5 hrs. of play time, thought the other day I did 5000' in 22 miles and the battery lasted all but the last 500' or so but the bike was still ridable, and with the 18a version you are peaking at 936watts which will scoot you right up heartbreak hill to the goods no problem. But I only use eco mode as I find it to be plenty sufficient for anything I do on my mtb which is probably more like 700w.

The throttle feature is a must have in my book as it is very useful for starting off until the PAS kicks in and for a few times perhaps while riding that you might find it good to have on board. The EU regs don't allow throttles at all so that is making them seem like they don't belong but au contrare.

So for about a grand you can convert your favorite ride into a bike with performance above par with the popular manufactured models. Another feature is that being a non proprietary system it is easy to service and upgradable in the future specifically as the new 2170 cell batteries become available.

Get as good of a battery as you can afford though as the cell Ah ratings are all over the place. Higher mAh the better. I use what the shark style ones which are most popular in the DIY world. I would suggest this 14ah version as the extra ah means extra fun with only a slight weight penalty: 52V 14AH Electric bike battery Sanyo GA 18650 51.8V Lithium ion Battery

B8C8CA76-FC6F-46F2-B551-BA55EF7ADEA4.jpg

GunnyAmp

Aug 25, 2018
Gunnison, CO

I use a TSDZ2 52v mid drive that has torque assist instead of cadence sensing which is key: They are available online and easy to install in a standard 68 or 73mm bb but this US based reseller has good rep and knows the TS as well as anyone: NEW VERSION 52v TSDZ2 - VLDC 5 w/ Throttle, E-brakes, Light Cables - Re-Cycles E-bikes

A caveat here is that the stock chainring, a 42t, makes for horrible chainline in the granny gears. I made a conversion to another 42t as it is the smallest ring that will fit past the gear reduction casing and that solved it. You need an offset chainring and an adapter for that. He will know what you need if you ask for it probably.

With a 52v 10ah battery I can get around 3.5 hrs. of play time, thought the other day I did 5000' in 22 miles and the battery lasted all but the last 500' or so but the bike was still ridable, and with the 18a version you are peaking at 936watts which will scoot you right up heartbreak hill to the goods no problem. But I only use eco mode as I find it to be plenty sufficient for anything I do on my mtb which is probably more like 700w.

The throttle feature is a must have in my book as it is very useful for starting off until the PAS kicks in and for a few times perhaps while riding that you might find it good to have on board. The EU regs don't allow throttles at all so that is making them seem like they don't belong but au contrare.

So for about a grand you can convert your favorite ride into a bike with performance above par with the popular manufactured models. Another feature is that being a non proprietary system it is easy to service and upgradable in the future specifically as the new 2170 cell batteries become available.

Get as good of a battery as you can afford though as the cell Ah ratings are all over the place. Higher mAh the better. I use what the shark style ones which are most popular in the DIY world. I would suggest this 14ah version as the extra ah means extra fun with only a slight weight penalty: 52V 14AH Electric bike battery Sanyo GA 18650 51.8V Lithium ion Battery

View attachment 4500

Very cool!! Thanks for the awesome info I was doing some research and came across this article Recipe for a Badass DIY Electric Mountain Bike

I actually rode a bike last week with the Bafang 1000 W motor and 500 amp battery. I have to agree with the throttle was pretty cool to have that option.

What are your thoughts on the Bafang setup?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Very cool!! Thanks for the awesome info I was doing some research and came across this article Recipe for a Badass DIY Electric Mountain Bike

I actually rode a bike last week with the Bafang 1000 W motor and 500 amp battery. I have to agree with the throttle was pretty cool to have that option.

I don't like them particularly. Cadence sensing is not the right format for mtb. I doubt the battery was 500amp probably 500wh. The TS is a far preferable motor if you plan on pedaling along. If not stick with the moto.

GunnyAmp

Aug 25, 2018
Gunnison, CO

I don't like them particularly. Cadence sensing is not the right format for mtb. I doubt the battery was 500amp probably 500wh. The TS is a far preferable motor if you plan on pedaling along. If not stick with the moto.

Yes, you are probably correct, 500WH. Good to hear the feedback. I think I will give your setup a go. Will keep you posted. What about the E Brakes, will they work with hydraulic discs or just cables?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Yes, you are probably correct, 500WH. Good to hear the feedback. I think I will give your setup a go. Will keep you posted. What about the E Brakes, will they work with hydraulic discs or just cables?

I don't use them personally but the ones with the kit are cable type. Never really had a need for their function to date and I like to drag my rear brake lever slightly in tight situations and while timing my cranks to keep the PAS active via the amount of pressure I can maintain on the pedals. Instant engagement is key in those types of situations and that is the solution I have come up with. Brake cutouts would interfere with that process.

GunnyAmp

Aug 25, 2018
Gunnison, CO
I don't use them personally but the ones with the kit are cable type. Never really had a need for their function to date and I like to drag my rear brake lever slightly in tight situations and while timing my cranks to keep the PAS active via the amount of pressure I can maintain on the pedals. Instant engagement is key in those types of situations and that is the solution I have come up with. Brake cutouts would interfere with that process.
Good to know, would prefer not to mess with them myself. I am assuming the kit will fit most bikes any obvious exceptions?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Good to know, would prefer not to mess with them myself. I am assuming the kit will fit most bikes any obvious exceptions?

Works best with a dt that goes straight out of the bb instead of the goose neck ones currently in favor. Other than getting good chainline it is a pretty easy setup.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
Before you decide to go for a DIY eBike setup you have to consider what type of terrain and tracks you bike. For the enduro DH variant of trails this adapted eBikes are way off. They simply don't have the integration and security of integration needed to last many miles and to not make you have a serious accident. If your trails are mellow and not very technical however it's a good way to start.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles