New Sworks Levo. Chain already off... how to fix?

Foxxer

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Hello,
Ive less than 2hrs on my first e-bike, a new 2021 Turbo levo Sworks. I went for a brief ride with my 5 yr old with his little bike, and as we cycled away from the house, I tried to pull a wheelie or sorts. Chain came off. Now earlier this morning I heard what sounded like a gear shift even though there was no shiting of the gears. I guess the chain was possibly already catching in the system.

Here is a video which shows the details. Im looking for advice if this needs to be fixed or replaced. My concern is if this happened in the middle of a mountain or trail...id be doomed.

Again a newb...so i know some of you maybe eye rolling.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
It's a simple and easy fix with knowledge and the right basic tools. However, as a noob you'd best take it in to the shop.

Also have them check the derailleur adjustment and alignment and talk to you a bit about shifting and ebike power.

You'll learn, and you and the bike will be fine. Have fun! :)

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Definitely agree - take it back to the shop. Also familiarise with the Eagle XX1 especially p.28 of the manual regarding dual suspension setup.

You'll need a new PowerLock chain link. There are a few potential causes like improper shifting under load, incorrect chain sizing due to not compressing the rear shock, maybe incorrect limit screw settings amongst other possible causes.

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/d...0-000-rev-b-eagle-axs-systems-user-manual.pdf

Eagle PowerLock.png

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
if there's a SWAT tool in the fork steerer (my LEVO did) it'll have a chain tool and a spare link you can use to fix the chain.

chain breaks happen (tho not usually brand new!), suggest teaching yourself how to fix them trailside. it's probably number 2 issue on the trail after punctures.

be assured your bike is not faulty!

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
And my Levo has a small tool set in the front stem. It’s mostly Allen keys. I don’t see a tool to fix this or spare links.
order up new xo chain off net
lay out old chain next to new one and break at same length with chain tool/multi tool (the one in the stem is a pita to get to)
degrease new chain
install paying attention to little arrows for direction on link , apply wax

Foxxer

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
order up new xo chain off net
lay out old chain next to new one and break at same length with chain tool/multi tool (the one in the stem is a pita to get to)
degrease new chain
install paying attention to little arrows for direction on link , apply wax
Im going to take it to the bike shop (Mikes Bikes in Petaluma) to fix it. Or they are going to send their mobile service which would be far better for me right now.

So that tool I can easily access at the top, it looks like just as it does in the website link, a bunch of Allen type keys. I don't see how any of them can fix this chain link. I don't see any spare chain links. Are they under the fork in some other compartment?

Anyone recommend a good video how to fix such a chain event when out in the hills?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Ask the shop to show you the chain tool and how to use it. (You just spent £xxxxx on a bike!)

Yes I think derestriction will invalidate your warranty is Spesh found out.

But also it means you're no longer riding a "bicycle" in the legal sense, it becomes an uninsured motorcycle legally. So if you have an accident the book will be thrown at you.***

*** obv depends on the legal situation where you live.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Very . Doesn't void warranty if bike shop doesn't know ?
There's the possibility or maybe even probability that they know.

‘Plausibility logics’ are likely not only reporting via diagnostics in Mission Control but also flags logged in specific storage within the battery pack, possibly integrated into the BMS.

EN15194:2017

4.2.17.2 Prevention of tampering

a) Anti-tampering relevant parameters shall only be accessible to the manufacturer or authorized persons and changes of software configuration parameters require programming tools that are not commercially available or security protected.

b) Assumable manipulations on the approval relevant configuration shall be prevented or compensated by effective counter measures, i.e. plausibility logics to detect manipulations on sensors

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Well I use my bike mainly for commuting . So to me de restricted is the only way . If your using ur bike for how it was intended ( trail bike ) I think de restricted isn't as important as u can get ur kicks from the down hills. De restricted definitely makes kicking it around the streets a real blast.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles