New Security Device

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Been sent details about this, Does it look any good?

I've got a Tile on the bike at the moment, this looks interesting though.

The only detail I cant find is the diameter of seat post it can cope with.

Should have added, here's another one I'm looking at, although I'm not sure it will fit with the double water bottle cage.

Last edited:

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I have little confidence in anything “internet based”.
My bike has a onboard alert via app thingy but the response time means the thief will be in the next post code before my phone tells me the bike has moved.
If it’s for home use, just take the wheels off/battery out and put them somewhere the bike isn’t.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I have little confidence in anything “internet based”.
My bike has a onboard alert via app thingy but the response time means the thief will be in the next post code before my phone tells me the bike has moved.
If it’s for home use, just take the wheels off/battery out and put them somewhere the bike isn’t.

I hear what your saying, but I'm getting a little paranoid, Specialized don't have any security alerts on their app so it's up to us owners sort.

At home, the battery is kept in the house and the bike locked up in a locked shed with a motion alarm and camera. I'm thinking more of if I make a stop when I'm out.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Odd thing security. Make the thieves take a long time and/or make noise whilst they are there.
When out I take two locks. One for the bike and one for a wheel I remove and lock somewhere remote from the bike.
You will never deter thieves with a van and bolt cutters.
Sadly nobody will ever challenge anyone fiddling with your bike.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I go for the bear approach. You don't need to be able to run faster than the bear, just faster than the person next to you.

When I'm at work, I have a Bordo alarm and an old d-lock plus cable around my front wheel, making it more hassle than bikes next to it. I'm under no delusions that these would keep a bike thief worth his salt busy for more than a few minutes, but for during the day and in a relatively well-walked area right below my second floor office, it's good enough for me.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Odd thing security. Make the thieves take a long time and/or make noise whilst they are there.
When out I take two locks. One for the bike and one for a wheel I remove and lock somewhere remote from the bike.
I go for the bear approach. You don't need to be able to run faster than the bear, just faster than the person next to you.

When I'm at work, I have a Bordo alarm and an old d-lock plus cable around my front wheel, making it more hassle than bikes next to it. I'm under no delusions that these would keep a bike thief worth his salt busy for more than a few minutes, but for during the day and in a relatively well-walked area right below my second floor office, it's good enough for me.

Thanks guys, good points made. Until recently I've been riding from and back to the house without making any stops, as I'm riding further and different routes I'm seeing places I could stop for a break. It's at those places I'd need the security for a short period while I go into a shop/cafe.

My thinking is something like this might be worth the investment for a couple of minutes, specially if a siren goes off if the bike is moved.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Anything is better than nothing. Locks will always deter the opportunist, it’s the pros waiting and watching you have no chance against.

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK

I’m with you on the 2 lock deterrent, on my commuter I use an Abus Bordo Alarm, plus a keyed alike Dutch lock on the rear wheel with the thick extension chain, 2 different types of lock means different tools, more noise & more time.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
By the way, I like the US name for Dutch / frame locks: Café locks. 'Cos you would use one when you're popping into a café.

Not that I'd trust them for that.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Sadly true. Even Jimmy Saville wasn't challenged for similar deeds :-(

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles