New ride almost killed me

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
On a day when it was 107* in Calif 30 mins down the hill we opted to pedal up 5k elev and then do some of the most technical riding 2x harder than other local chunky trails. THEN, you have to hike/lift 50lb bike over boulders out of the canyon. Something I did not know was going to happen. We typically pedal out -novel concept right?
We had a pool at the bottom to fill water bottles and my buddy (ring leader/deceiver) took the plunge in skivys (see end of video). Also the day before we ran into a massive rattlesnake (end of vid pic)

**Not the self -learn to use 'walk assist' I was pushing full weight of bike without assist, didn't even know it existed.

Big weekend!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Sensational!...I would sign up for that in a heart beat if I was at least in the same country.

I love a good epic adventure. Good times.

I agree e hike a bike sucks arse. But if the riding is epic then it's worthwhile.

Ps I'm all over walk mode for my hike a bikes.

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
Sensational!...I would sign up for that in a heart beat if I was at least in the same country.

I love a good epic adventure. Good times.

I agree e hike a bike sucks arse. But if the riding is epic then it's worthwhile.

Ps I'm all over walk mode for my hike a bikes.
Hit me up if you come to Calif I live in the same county as Yosemite! Love to go to NZ someday

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I liked the video, but I wouldn't ride that. It's beautiful country, but that area doesn't seem to have much flow. Don't take that as a slam to folks who like that kind of riding. We're all different and we often look for different challenges. Just too much chunk for my preference.

I like riding in rocky areas like Moab and such, but those places have a fun flow to them for the most part. Moab has ledges, rocks, holes to dodge, and g-outs, but it's not a constant hammering like that trail seemed to have. It seemed like there was never much "yee-haw" stuff to get a little speed.

And no...I'm not Greg Minnaar. 😄 I still like both your vids...very entertaining.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
On a day when it was 107* in Calif 30 mins down the hill we opted to pedal up 5k elev and then do some of the most technical riding 2x harder than other local chunky trails. THEN, you have to hike/lift 50lb bike over boulders out of the canyon. Something I did not know was going to happen. We typically pedal out -novel concept right?
We had a pool at the bottom to fill water bottles and my buddy (ring leader/deceiver) took the plunge in skivys (see end of video). Also the day before we ran into a massive rattlesnake (end of vid pic)

**Not the self -learn to use 'walk assist' I was pushing full weight of bike without assist, didn't even know it existed.

Big weekend!

Awesome friggen video! I felt, heard, and saw your struggle. Oh…and I forgot to breathe a few times. 👍🏻

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX

Big weekend!

Great video
Thanks for sharing 👍

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I loved the fact that you admitted that you were scared ..faced up to your fear & conquered it ..well done that took big balls !
Looking at that terrain..I'm guessing the camera levelled things out a great deal and it was a whole lot steeper than it looked 😅 😳.
The rocks looked a lot grippier than anything I've ever ridden in the UK..but saying that would I have the " bottle" to attempt it in the first place ..honestly I'm really not sure ??.
Well done ..respect is due ..

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
Great video! Too crazy for this old guy, that’s for sure. Glad you made it down safely. I’ve been on rides, where I want them to be over. Lol! God is good!
Is that up Hwy 108. I think I heard someone reference, Pinecrest. I love that area! Was your bike new? If so, what a way to break it in!

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
I liked the video, but I wouldn't ride that. It's beautiful country, but that area doesn't seem to have much flow. Don't take that as a slam to folks who like that kind of riding. We're all different and we often look for different challenges. Just too much chunk for my preference.

I like riding in rocky areas like Moab and such, but those places have a fun flow to them for the most part. Moab has ledges, rocks, holes to dodge, and g-outs, but it's not a constant hammering like that trail seemed to have. It seemed like there was never much "yee-haw" stuff to get a little speed.

And no...I'm not Greg Minnaar. 😄 I still like both your vids...very entertaining.
Just came from Tahoe where the trails I did were a good mix of flow and chunk. The steep and mega slab rolls drops ect terrain like you see here don't have the terrain to have much flow it's all techy and terrifying. You build a trail on what the Mt gives you. :oops:

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Awesome video! Spectacular route.

Is there a reason you don't hold the bars with your thumbs hooked under? I couldn't ride like that.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada

Big weekend!

for the walk mode hike a bikes I lean on my seat and let it basically pull me up the hill. Its actually almost easier than regular hike a bikes unless its completely unrideable. Haven't and probably won't do any bike on the back type hike a bikes with it ever though lol

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
Awesome video! Spectacular route.

Is there a reason you don't hold the bars with your thumbs hooked under? I couldn't ride like that.
Just the way I'm used to riding. I work in physio therapy and treated enough thumb replacement patients that I'm very aware of over use that can leads to joint failure

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Just the way I'm used to riding. I work in physio therapy and treated enough thumb replacement patients that I'm very aware of over use that can leads to joint failure
Interesting. I'd struggle to hold on and move the bike underneath me.

When just cruising and pedalling uphill on smooth trails I'll often position my hands the same to relieve a bit of pressure and change position, but if the trail is remotely rough or I'm descending, I hook my thumb under.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Interesting. I'd struggle to hold on and move the bike underneath me.

When just cruising and pedalling uphill on smooth trails I'll often position my hands the same to relieve a bit of pressure and change position, but if the trail is remotely rough or I'm descending, I hook my thumb under.
i do the same, long uphills I put my thumbs above but anything else I just run as normal

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Just came from Tahoe where the trails I did were a good mix of flow and chunk. The steep and mega slab rolls drops ect terrain like you see here don't have the terrain to have much flow it's all techy and terrifying. You build a trail on what the Mt gives you. :oops:
I don't know all the technical and regulatory issues that would be involved, but in both of your videos, that terrain could eventually be massaged a bit to turn into a really hoot of a trail. Having been involved in my region where we started with raw, unfriendly terrain, hardcore places can become really rideable and more fun than just a survival course.

I wouldn't condone the bringing in of concrete and paving equipment :ROFLMAO: ...but something a little more flowy would be awesome. I think you could tell from my responses to your two videos that I wasn't knocking y'all going for it there. It's just that in its current state, I'd look at that more like one of those efforts that we've all probably participated in..."hey, let's see if we can go from point A to point B on our bikes."

Again...I loved both videos and watched them in their entirety. Something I don't normally do with long vids. Good stuff.

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
I don't know all the technical and regulatory issues that would be involved, but in both of your videos, that terrain could eventually be massaged a bit to turn into a really hoot of a trail. Having been involved in my region where we started with raw, unfriendly terrain, hardcore places can become really rideable and more fun than just a survival course.

I wouldn't condone the bringing in of concrete and paving equipment :ROFLMAO: ...but something a little more flowy would be awesome. I think you could tell from my responses to your two videos that I wasn't knocking y'all going for it there. It's just that in its current state, I'd look at that more like one of those efforts that we've all probably participated in..."hey, let's see if we can go from point A to point B on our bikes."

Again...I loved both videos and watched them in their entirety. Something I don't normally do with long vids. Good stuff.
Agreed but I have zero say in trail building up here. The guys I go out there love the 'terror chunk' :oops:

Having just come back from Tahoe, my grip is our more flowy trails have way too tight of turns and could be opened up to punch out of one into the next. But thanks for the comments and I do agree with you!

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
I loved the fact that you admitted that you were scared ..faced up to your fear & conquered it ..well done that took big balls !
Looking at that terrain..I'm guessing the camera levelled things out a great deal and it was a whole lot steeper than it looked 😅 😳.
The rocks looked a lot grippier than anything I've ever ridden in the UK..but saying that would I have the " bottle" to attempt it in the first place ..honestly I'm really not sure ??.
Well done ..respect is due ..
thanks mate! They have texture, Unless, there is gravel or what we call 'kitty litter'. Then you can wash out a front wheel. That and the exit roll outs had my attention. Being a new trail it made it even more sketch coupled with heat exhaustion meant my core energy caused me to feel like a rag doll on the drops when i should be locked into 'attack position'

In any case thank you for the encouraging words, cheers!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles