• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

New Pads and Rotors 2023 Strive ON: Not Too Happy with DB8 Performance

travelinscout

Jun 30, 2024
Tucson
Hello! I am pretty unhappy with the performance of the DB8 brakes on my Strive ON. My non-ebike Canyon has the XT 8120, and they are awesome.

On the Strive, it seems that they will only slow the bike to a point, and then no matter how hard I squeeze, I get no more braking.

I am thinking of the Galfer Purple pads front and rear, and I am not sure if I should scrap the SRAM Centerline rotors as well.
How are the Galfer rotors below?

Galfer D.223 Unisex Adult Wave Brake Disc, Black, One Size​

Galfer MTB/E-Bike Disc Wave Diameter 203 x 2.00 mm, Adult Unisex, Black, Standard​

Are the rotors simple to swap? I work on my own bikes whenever I can and can manage most things.

Thanks!

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
TBH i'd swap the brakes rather than the rotors, the DB8s are 'ok' at best. Rotors are very simple to swap yes, but i'm not sure it'll give you a lot. The fact you're not able to lock up your tyres says to me it's more likely that your pads are knackered/rubbish rather than your rotors. But you could easily clean your rotors with some brake cleaner when you have the pads out.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I would definitely try some new pads. I have DB8's on my enduro Amish bike and while they take a little more lever input than some, they stop well. I can lock the rear up with ease on pavement if squeezed with authority.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't know you, or anything about you, so please forgive me if what follows is "teaching my grandma to suck eggs".

Before you start spending money on new kit (always a joy), check the basics first.

Are you sure that the brakes don't just need bleeding? If you repeatedly and rapidly pull the brake levers, do they improve? If so, they need bleeding.

Take a look at the pads. Are they slightly shiny, or even black. Then they are contaminated. If so, the discs will also be contaminated.

Did you bed the brakes in when the bike was new? If not then you will never get good braking.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles