New from West Sussex! Est-900

Soda

Dec 20, 2019
Uk
I have been toying with the idea of an e bike for some time. I'm a motorcycle rider bit a recent move has meant an e bike would probably suit me better

So after a trial on decathlon's est500 I picked one up in the sale, this was short lived as I got a doa ?

Luckily for me they did me a deal on a est 900 and boy am I glad I paid the extra.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I'd not heard of Decathlon e-bike range before, HT's only at the moment but making use of the 90Nm Brose motor, that looks like a bike with a lot of potential for not a lot of money. Enjoy!

Soda

Dec 20, 2019
Uk
I'd not heard of Decathlon e-bike range before, HT's only at the moment but making use of the 90Nm Brose motor, that looks like a bike with a lot of potential for not a lot of money. Enjoy!

I'm not a proper mountain biker haha but yes a nice sturdy feeling ht is what I got. Oversized tyres etc. Makes for a fantastic comuter to put a smile on your face

I have ofc dabbled with the speed limiter which is amazing fun!!

IMG_20191215_173205_529.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
About this time last year I started with an e-st500 ..

I quite liked it for what it was - cheap ! :) It didn't like water though .. The "torque" (actually just movement) sensor in the crank would get wet and the bike would stop. If you were lucky it would dry out in a couple of days (this was how they fixed it at the shop - leave it for two days ... viola .. fixed)..

It was ok on fireroads, but as others have mentioned (@Rusty) for instance, the hub motor doesn't work too well on an MTB. It gives confidence on some drops, as the weight is at the back, but on steep climbs it would really easily and quickly flip out - especially with the (torque/movement sensor) just delivering max power as the pedal comes over the top. I still have hill anxiety now from the number of times I ended up on my head.

Got rid of it in the end as I was sick of getting stranded on every ride. They were still developing the E-st900 at the time. Looked much nicer, brose motor. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun !

The e-st500 now comes with grease packed around the BB to stop water ingress, so is probably fine. Still, it can be a bit scary with no power to full power, and continued power for a couple of seconds as it has to presume you're still pedalling until it picks up another 360 degree revolution of the crank. On the bright side, you can be really really lazy... As it only measures movement, not torque, you just need to move the pedal past the top sensor position every few seconds and the motor will drive you along at full tilt ...

Soda

Dec 20, 2019
Uk
22.7km traveled today on a random trip out

Riden in "full power" mode but mainly on 2 bars of power unless stretching it's legs on the road or a big hill

Used 1 bar of battery which I think is amazing as I'm nearly 100kg

Incredibly impressed so far

20191223_153731.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles