New ebike choice help

paulus10

May 7, 2020
Saltburn uk
Hi I'm in the market for a new full suspension electric mountain bike. looking to spend around £3000. I've narrowed it down to these 3 but I'm open to other suggestions around this price also. I'll mainly be doing trails and occasional trail centres. thanks in advance .

Giant stance E+1 with Motor: Giant SyncDrive Sport, 70Nm powered by YAMAHA £3299
Giant Stance E+ 1 27.5" 2020 | Tredz Bikes

Vittus E sommet with SHIMANO STEPS E7000 Motor £3199
Vitus E-Sommet - Vitus Bikes

Stilus electric mountain bike form decathlon with BOSCH PERFORMANCE LINE CX 2020 motor, 75Nm torque, power of up to 600W £2699
ADULT ALL MOUNTAIN MTB BIKE - Stilus Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You cant really beat the Stlyus, hell of a spec for the price, plus latest Bosch motor, and you could get a bigger battery at a later day. The one downside to it is perhaps the geometry as it has long chain stays, which really help with climbing but will make it slightly less maouverable.

The vitus is probably the most progressive bike in terms of geometry etc etc.

paulus10

May 7, 2020
Saltburn uk
You cant really beat the Stlyus, hell of a spec for the price, plus latest Bosch motor, and you could get a bigger battery at a later day. The one downside to it is perhaps the geometry as it has long chain stays, which really help with climbing but will make it slightly less maouverable.

The vitus is probably the most progressive bike in terms of geometry etc etc.

Thanks Mate, really appreciate the advice

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I’d go for a lower tier Trance over the Stance (should be achievable with a bit of haggling)... better suspension, slightly more power and better engineering around the power train.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Apart from "Shimano's Deore XT Eagle groupset" which does not exist (must be a typo, Eagle is Sram trade name), the Giant Trance has much better suspension than either of the other two, and so it should have, as it is a grand more expensive than the Stilus. It also has more suspension travel than the Thron. Compared to the Trance, I'm not sure what the Thron has to offer (and I'm a Focus fan). You really ought to test ride as many of those three as you can.

When you do get a test ride, makes sure that the bike is set up for you, not just he last person that rode the bike. Not just saddle height and %sag, but rebound too, tyre pressures, bar layout etc. If they make a fuss, say that you are making a £3000 decision based on the test ride and you need to make sure you make the correct one.

paulus10

May 7, 2020
Saltburn uk
Apart from "Shimano's Deore XT Eagle groupset" which does not exist (must be a typo, Eagle is Sram trade name), the Giant Trance has much better suspension than either of the other two, and so it should have, as it is a grand more expensive than the Stilus. It also has more suspension travel than the Thron. Compared to the Trance, I'm not sure what the Thron has to offer (and I'm a Focus fan). You really ought to test ride as many of those three as you can.

When you do get a test ride, makes sure that the bike is set up for you, not just he last person that rode the bike. Not just saddle height and %sag, but rebound too, tyre pressures, bar layout etc. If they make a fuss, say that you are making a £3000 decision based on the test ride and you need to make sure you make the correct one.
thanks for the tips,
yes i'm edging towards the giant trance E+2 (mid range)
my wife has a 2017 giant E+1 and its been a great buy

paulus10

May 7, 2020
Saltburn uk
thanks for the tips,
yes i'm edging towards the giant trance E+2 (mid range)
my wife has a 2017 giant E+1 and its been a great buy

Update - I eventually went for the focus jam2 6.7 nine. Really like the look of the bike, spec, motor and 625wh battery. Ordered from LBS and received a good discount, but unfortunately I have to wait until early August for delivery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles