New Bosc Gen 5 rumours

Northman57

Jul 30, 2020
Italy
Hi there! Are there any rumors about the full-power successor to the Bosch CX motor, which is now five years old? I’ve heard they might announce the new Bosch Gen 5 motor sometime well before the end of this year...

@Rob Rides EMTB if there are any rumours, you definitely know them! :)

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I'm gonna wrap some Gorilla Tape around by Gen 4 motor and hit the bike park.
All the fanboys are gonna lose their shit! 🫨🤣😛

Seriously, my Gen 4 is so great that I can't imagine how they could improve upon it. I can't wait to find out what the boys and girls at Bosch are up to.
Make the motor more compact and 1kg lighter, for example.

CalebDC

Jul 17, 2024
San Diego, CA
Hi there! Are there any rumors about the full-power successor to the Bosch CX motor, which is now five years old? I’ve heard they might announce the new Bosch Gen 5 motor sometime well before the end of this year...

If I was to believe the eurobike "rumors" I would imagine the mounting standard on the newer bosch motors will change to the two bolt styling. The beauty of the bosch system is the integration between components no matter the intended use. Looking at what bosch has done in the past, if there was a new Bosch CX. I would predict an increase in torque output, maybe some watts and a smaller package. There would have to be a reason for SX production which could just be weight. I have heard a few rumors of smaller battery, bigger motor bikes on the way. Primarily from doddy on the Rechrged podcast. I dont think bosch is going anywhere so being bleeding edge is something they dont need to aim for.

Gareth

Apr 20, 2024
Ayrshire
Make it water proof, proper seals and bearings, tougher internals as well.

Yes please! Improved water sealing so it won’t expire after a couple of thousand miles like the Gen4. Plus, full spares availability and technical support via approved repairers so it can be kept going for many years after the initial warranty period.

Chris83

Oct 20, 2023
Syracuse ny
I'm gonna wrap some Gorilla Tape around by Gen 4 motor and hit the bike park.
All the fanboys are gonna loose their shit! 🫨🤣😛

Seriously, my Gen 4 is so great that I can't imagine how they could improve upon it. I can't wait to find out what the boys and girls at Bosch are up to.
My gen 4 in the rail has the horrible rattle when not pedaling. Hopefully they take care of this as I am now selling both my rails due to annoying rattle and where I live upstate NY it’s basically all flat no down hills really kinda pointless to have these when we only ride to the playground and around town with daughter

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Looks fairly legit, quick highlights:

Motor will be very similar specs, but 2 mounting points similar to the SX. 2.8kg vs 3kg for the old one.

Battery is 800Wh for 3.9kg, so a decent weight saving compared to the 750Wh (4.3kg).

Definitely a nice evolution, but I'm almost tempted to order a strive:eek:n with the current massive discount on the entry model. I imagine the 800Wh batteries will not be compatible with the older motor system, if it were I'd probably pull the trigger.

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
The motor appears to weigh 2.8 kg compared to the current 3.0 kg. The 800 Wh battery weighs 3.9 kg compared to the current 4.3 kg for the 750 Wh. Not bad, 600 grams less with 50 Wh more! The 600 Wh battery weighs 3.0 kg compared to the current 3.6 kg for the 625 Wh. As for the rest, it seems that the torque has remained unchanged.
So if range anxiety isn’t an issue, also the current models, with the GEN 4 motor, will remain very competitive performance wise in the next seasons

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The motor appears to weigh 2.8 kg compared to the current 3.0 kg. The 800 Wh battery weighs 3.9 kg compared to the current 4.3 kg for the 750 Wh. Not bad, 600 grams less with 50 Wh more! The 600 Wh battery weighs 3.0 kg compared to the current 3.6 kg for the 625 Wh. As for the rest, it seems that the torque has remained unchanged.
So if range anxiety isn’t an issue, also the current models, with the GEN 4 motor, will remain very competitive performance wise in the next seasons
So how much more to buy a new bike with Gen5 2.8kg motor + 3.9kg 800Wh battery thus saving 600 grams vs Gen4?

Several thousand £/€/$ for sure.

And with the new motor simply being a minor evolution of the current Gen4 with the same basic water ingress problems?

Taking the piss (imo).

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
A new bike always costs more than an older model, either due to a new frame design, new e-system or even new colors/spec.
In the end nobody is forcing customers to buy the latest and greatest.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
A new bike always costs more than an older model, either due to a new frame design, new e-system or even new colors/spec.
In the end nobody is forcing customers to buy the latest and greatest.
My (opinion) point is that this "latest and greatest" is actually a case of "plus ça change ..."

With apologies to J-B A Karr

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
Looks fairly legit, quick highlights:

Motor will be very similar specs, but 2 mounting points similar to the SX. 2.8kg vs 3kg for the old one.

Battery is 800Wh for 3.9kg, so a decent weight saving compared to the 750Wh (4.3kg).

Definitely a nice evolution, but I'm almost tempted to order a strive:eek:n with the current massive discount on the entry model. I imagine the 800Wh batteries will not be compatible with the older motor system, if it were I'd probably pull the trigger.
The batterys don't switch over they don't fit in the rail system unfortunately.

Doug85

Feb 8, 2024
Scotland

Yeah just head today it's coming in September 2024! im absolutely shocked now I see why they are waiting to release TRP A12 EASI it'll more than likely be part of the system 90nm

DrDexx

Mar 2, 2024
Longridge
Yeah just head today it's coming in September 2024! im absolutely shocked now I see why they are waiting to release TRP A12 EASI it'll more than likely be part of the system 90nm
I asked TRP about when to expect the A12 system, they said at first it will only be available on new bikes.

This is the response I got. Hopefully it will be compatible with Gen 4 motors.

"Hello,

Thank you for your message and your interest in our new TRP E.A.S.I. A12. We are very proud of this project in cooperation with Bosch and are really looking forward to the first bikes with the new group being delivered. However, this also means that we cannot currently provide any information about the availability of the circuit parts for retrofitting. The TRP E.A.S.I. A12 will initially only be available for new bikes from manufacturers. The retrofit market will only take place afterwards. Exact timing information, as well as compatibility with Bosch Drive Units, will follow soon."

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Rumors from an Orbea forum:

• Gen5 Motor is compatible with Gen4 eBike frames by using new Mounting Plates
  • New 600Wh battery is compatible with current frames that fit the 750Wh battery
  • New 800Wh battery does not fit in frames for 750Wh battery, and require a new frame.

Summarizing: many new Gen5 ebikes released in September will have current Gen4 frames with Gen5 Motor and Mounting plates and 600Wh new battery. And in the future, newer frames will be released and they will be ready for direct mounting of Gen5 Motor and 800Wh battery

DrDexx

Mar 2, 2024
Longridge
Rumors from an Orbea forum:

• Gen5 Motor is compatible with Gen4 eBike frames by using new Mounting Plates
  • New 600Wh battery is compatible with current frames that fit the 750Wh battery
  • New 800Wh battery does not fit in frames for 750Wh battery, and require a new frame.

Summarizing: many new Gen5 ebikes released in September will have current Gen4 frames with Gen5 Motor and Mounting plates and 600Wh new battery. And in the future, newer frames will be released and they will be ready for direct mounting of Gen5 Motor and 800Wh battery

This is pretty good if true!

Nice having an option of upgrading the motor if we wanted, even if the rumours are pointing to not much of an upgrade.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles