New bike help

glixerd

Jan 8, 2024
Athens
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster (y)
Looking to buy my first EMTB and i could really do with your advice please.

Background
55 years old
Been MTBing for around 40 years
Left arm paralysed
Left lung paralysed
Live in Athens, Greece

Current bikes
2009 Trek EX7
1994 Diamond back Axis TT

As i'm getting older and fatter i'm struggling more and more over the mountainous terrain that is local to me.
My usual rider from my house is around 30km with just under 1000m of elevation.

I'm pushing more and more on the uphills to the point where i'm questioning my enjoyment more and more
Because of my dodgy arm i can't jump and even a decent wheelie is a bit risky, so my wheels are firmly planted on the ground.

As you can see i'm not really interested in the latest and greatest stuff, next bike will be my last bike as i hope it sees me way past retirement.

Essential list
Availability in Greece (Canyon don't ship here and flying with EMTB batteries seems to be a nightmare)
Serviceability (As i say, likely the last bike i will buy, so needs to last)
Stability (Riding with 1 arm, i need something stable that's not going to fight me over every bump)
Range (Should be able to do 30km with 1000m of elevation, with enough of a buffer for when the battery range starts dying)
Just for ease of swapping stuff would prefer same wheels sizes front/rear
Full suspension (hardtail just not good on the rocky terrain here with 1 arm)

YT Decoy 4 or 5 - Seems to tick most boxes, as does the Decoy 29

Any thoughts or recommendations please?

Cheers
Mark

20201019_134526.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You are 55 and want an emtb to be your last bike and see you way past retirement! I sincerely hope that you get what you want!! That dream is entirely possible on an mtb, but not so much on an emtb. But we can all dream! :unsure:

If it is serviceability you want, then the consensus from this Forum (as it appears to me) is that you should get any bike you like the look of that does not have a Shimano motor. Since Jan'19, I have had two Shimano motors (e8000 and EP8) and not a minute's bother with either, but that is not the experience of everyone. Nor is it with other motors. But the key difference is that the other motors can be more readily serviced (not necessarily by you, but there are many service companies around that you can use when the time comes). Shimano seems to delight in not only stating that their motors are not designed to be serviced, but make it difficult for anyone else to do so. But it is possible, just not as easy as it is for other bikes.

Just about every single part of the e-bike is serviceable by the owner except the motor, battery, software and so forth. So I would recommend that you focus your search on bikes that offer readily serviceable motors and easily available batteries with a good dealer network. I can make no personal recommendation because my ownership horizon is not as long as yours. Pretty much all the mainstream brands are excellent bikes, there are almost no bad bikes out there.

The big advantage you have in living your dream is living in Greece. I'm sure that Greece gets rain now and again, but compared to the UK, it's a desert! Water is the big enemy of the electrics on emtbs., so use a bucket and brush not a jetwash (not even a hosepipe) when cleaning your new emtb.

Best of luck! Please tell us what you eventually buy. :)

Edit: I forgot to add that of course even the motors can be replaced with another one, same with the battery. But the pace of development is such that in ten year's time (maybe a lot less) you might not be able to buy replacements that will fit your bike!

glixerd

Jan 8, 2024
Athens
Thanks Steve
I'd swap this heat for some rain today mate
Greek winters = Fantastic
Greece summer = Suck ass :(

Yea built in obsolescence is a concern.
My MTB's are still MTB's, smaller wheels (26") and geometry has changed through the years, but i can still ride them and enjoy them, even the 1994 MTB.

If i buy say a YT Decoy, battery has what 5 years before capacity starts to dramatically drop, if i can't buy a replacement battery.........

Even that's not the worst case scenario, as you say, if a motor fails the bike isn't even ride-able :(

Other concern is that it still seems early days, what if, in 3 years all manufacturers decide on a industrial standard for motor mount positions/bolt holes........
If i was younger i'd probably wait a few more years.

At the min, the only bike that's available at a reasonable price seems to the Decoy, but i'm concerned about reviews saying it's not a good climber due to the seat post angle

Cheers
Mark

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@glixerd In my opinion, used emtbs become pretty much unsaleable after about three years. Even if you are selling an emtb that has given faultless service and you have all the service receipts, people will still not buy from you for more than a minimal amount. They have to assume that one month after they have bought the bike, they might have to buy a new motor and a new battery. So you are looking at £1300-£1500 right there!

Plan on the bike lasting three years and if it last longer, that is a bonus. When the bike eventually fails, the cheapest option will be to replace the motor and /or battery and carry on riding your well-maintained bike. If you can no longer get the parts, then break down the bike and sell all the parts for whatever you can get and buy a new bike.

Buy your bike as cheaply as you can by buying last year's brand-new bike. Some very good emtbs have been selling at 50% discount recently. Also, consider ex-rental bikes, they could be a bargain. You just need patience and persistence.

Best of luck! :)

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Other concern is that it still seems early days, what if, in 3 years all manufacturers decide on a industrial standard for motor mount positions/bolt holes........
If i was younger i'd probably wait a few more years.
The likelihood of that happening is about 0.1%
I would shop around and try a lot before pulling the trigger. Geometry is important for you will be on the bike quite a lot, more than usual because e-mtb is just more fun! I would buy a reputable brand from Local store for extended support. Enjoy! 😎

glixerd

Jan 8, 2024
Athens
Shame though
Imagine if there was a industry standard for motor mounting and battery mounting

You could throw in a new DJI motor and batteries a few years down the line
Huge shame that once spare batteries start to run out of stock for a particular bike that bike is effectively now rubbish
Likewise spares for motors

I'm still riding a bike i bought in 1994, it's still fantastic to ride even if finding decent 26" rim brake wheels is getting tougher.

Cheers
Mark

glixerd

Jan 8, 2024
Athens
I'm 99% on ordering a Decoy core 3

They have the black coloured frame ready to ship at the end of August.
As it's summer here in Greece it's not like i'll be riding much in Aug or even Sept (too hot, too many forest fires), so i'll hang on and see if the white comes available.
If i'm really lucky it'll maybe be offered at higher discount as well :)

I've ordered a hope duo brake kit in preparation :):)

Cheers
Mark

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles