New bike debate!

RyanP123

May 24, 2024
Merthyr Tydfil
Hi All,

I’m currently riding a Gen 1 levo and looking to purchase a new EMTB.

I was set on the Whyte e160 RSX but the weight and 29er set up is putting me off.

I’ve also considered the Specialized Levo Expert but not so keen on carbon frames.

some insight would be great! not interested in the light emtb range, want a full fat version! most of my riding is done at BPW so needs to be a capable bike

Cheers

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had a 2019 Levo Comp........for the last 2 years I have been riding a Whyte E160 RSX. Even with the suspension mods I did to the Levo it did not come close to the capability of the E160 RSX..........and I have done no mods to the RSX other than higher rise bars and fitting my favourite Ergon saddle.........it does not need any mods or upgrades! It has also performed flawlessly for over 1000 miles in all weather conditions with nothing more than regular cleaning and lubeing. So I can certainly recommend the E160RSX. I am assuming you dont have to lift the bikes over any stiles in BPW so the weight is not really relevant. Have you ridden one? It climbs as well as it goes down hill and is even still fun to ride on cross country type rides. Pretty sure you would be impressed.

Elsonator

Dec 27, 2023
Forest of Dean
Second @Mikerb. Just changed from gen 2 levo to a e160 rsx. There's some difference in weight. It does a beautiful job of tackling everything I've thrown at it, it's an incredibly confidence inspiring ride and it jumps lovely I think compared to the levo. I guess you've read some reviews on the e160's as some have mentioned you feel more like your withing the bike and not on top of it. I live in the FOD and ride everything from tech steep to flowing trails. As above I've put some 50mm riser bars on and my ergon saddle and I may swap to mt7s in the future but the code rsc are not as bad as the re version (personal preference)
Pedal a bike away in the FOD regularly do demo days with whyte bikes not sure how far away you are but it's worth a shot.
With the levo I've found you have to be more engaging to do what you want it to and the rsx is a bit more fluid and playful..hard to explain unless you've ridden one but it feels more like a mullet ride as its got such a low centre of gravity. Others may disagree but that's my two cents.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I’m currently riding a Gen 1 levo and looking to purchase a new EMTB.

The first Levo's are old school, so anything you buy today will be light years better.

The individual concerns you have might be a matter of personal preference, so all I can give you is my opinion. I've run everything from 26, 27.5, mullet, and I'm currently on a straight up 29. It's the best I've run. It handles chunk much better than anything I've ever had, carves tighter, whips better, and jumps better. Is that because of the wheel diameter? I can't say. I'll add that I'm no Rampage rider, so keep that in mind.

I've broken more aluminum than carbon. Aluminum fatigues quicker. My current rims are aluminum, though, and they seem ok.

Weight isn't as much of a concern on a full-size eMTB. I'll take a big battery ANY day. Sure, it's a bummer when you have to lift it over your head for fallen trees or friends with lifted trucks, but it's a small price to pay for a more capable riding experience.

RyanP123

May 24, 2024
Merthyr Tydfil
Thanks for the feedback! I am leaning more towards the e160, how does the drivetrain hold up? I know the current cassette is around the 200/300 pound mark, so don’t want to be swapping them out frequently 😂

and then for sizing, my current levo is a large and I find it slightly to big for me at 5,10, should I consider a medium for the RSX?

Elsonator

Dec 27, 2023
Forest of Dean
Thanks for the feedback! I am leaning more towards the e160, how does the drivetrain hold up? I know the current cassette is around the 200/300 pound mark, so don’t want to be swapping them out frequently 😂

and then for sizing, my current levo is a large and I find it slightly to big for me at 5,10, should I consider a 3 medium for the RSX?
I used to ride a medium levo gen 2 and gone to a large rsx, I'm the same height as you but it will also depend on how you want the bike to handle.
Both bikes alongside each other there is hardly anything in it. Go get a demo day 😁

Can't comment on cassette haven't had it that long

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Ive just been looking at the Whyte 160 RSX, have to say I am very very tempted to get one now

Just need to convince the wife that my current bike needs an upgrade

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My RSX is 2023...so XG 1275 10-50 cassette and the original SRAM AXS. The bike has covered 1000 miles. I am on the second chain and it is still less than 0.5%. Cassette and chainwheel are still fine and the AXS has been faultless. I use GX chains. The 24 RSX now has SRAM Transmission so cannot comment on that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles