New bike, bosche 750wh only charges to 95%

scrufy

Jan 29, 2024
So Cal
Anyone have this issue?
First couple times, I ran it down to around 40% and was fine.
Now the last 2 times it only goes to 95% then shuts off.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Mine is now just over a month old, with nine rides on it. At first I was only showing about 97%. I thought it odd, but nothing to get overly excited about, as I don't know what it's supposed to be. Yesterday when I disconnected the charger, it was at 100%.

scrufy

Jan 29, 2024
So Cal
Ok thanks, I won't worry about it.
It was just I ordered the bike new and when I connected flow it said it had a previous owner and I couldn't connect until they removed the bike from their app.
Figured it was the bike shop but still wondered if I got a demo with an old battery.
After it s3nt an email to the "previous owner" I was able to connect the next day.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Mine is now just over a month old, with nine rides on it. At first I was only showing about 97%. I thought it odd, but nothing to get overly excited about, as I don't know what it's supposed to be. Yesterday when I disconnected the charger, it was at 100%.
I noticed something similar on my gen 2 Rail 7 when new as of 3 weeks ago. Riding aggressively in Turbo on a 14-mile MTB trail, the first 2 or 3 times ended the ride showing 2 bars on the Purion display. However, all the rides since on the same trail at the same level of use have shown 3 bars. It also remained at 3 bars with a little riding and putzing around the house.

I'm thinking that the battery and internal BMS has a slight conditioning or maybe even a learning process in the BMS after you start using it on a brand new bike and battery. Not sure if these somewhat sophisticated batteries have a sort of break-in, but apparently noticing a new battery appearing to become slightly more efficient after some use may not be unusual.

scrufy

Jan 29, 2024
So Cal
You may be right. Mine charged to 100% tonight finally so maybe there is a smart charge going on in the background. As you said, a breakin period.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
You may be right. Mine charged to 100% tonight finally so maybe there is a smart charge going on in the background. As you said, a breakin period.
With my 750wh Trek, if you charge it and leave it until the bike switches off its fully charged to 100%. Most times the LED remote still flashes showing its charging but the Kiox says 100%. I normally leave it until its switches itself off then I know its done. Don't believe what the Kiox or system controller says

scrufy

Jan 29, 2024
So Cal
Follow up a week later- haven't seen it happen again and I've rode and charged every day.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Most times the LED remote still flashes showing its charging but the Kiox says 100%.
it's 100% charged when it says it's 100% charged.
once it says 100% is balances the cells which in my experience can take up to 1.5hours
Even after a battery has been charged-discharged a dozen times the cells should still be fairly balanced, you don't need to let it finish every time
Cell balancing is the process of equalizing the voltages and state of charge among the cells when they are at a full charge

even if a battery capacity goes down over time, the charge level at maximum will always be 100%,
They don't remember lost capacity and suddenly start only charging to specific percentages

BTW in the Bosch flow app go Settings > your Ebike > Ebike Pass > Ebike components, and then tap your batteries name.

it will show how many charging cycles in total the battery as used and the total KWH it's output over it's life time.
mine is 20 cycles, 17.1kWh

I've done 1080 miles in that time and my bike still seems to go as far as I did when it was brand new.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles