New bike advise

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Looking for my first emtb. Thinking I want middrive, fs, plus to fat tire, throttle. Any suggestions?
Throttle? There is no throttle. The motor does not engage unless you pedal. Other than that the world is your oyster. How much are you prepared to spend? What sort of riding will you be doing? Mountain biking covers a wide range of disciplines with different bikes styles optimised to suit each one. We need more information.

Al

biffmoto

Oct 21, 2020
Was usa
Throttle? There is no throttle. The motor does not engage unless you pedal. Other than that the world is your oyster. How much are you prepared to spend? What sort of riding will you be doing? Mountain biking covers a wide range of disciplines with different bikes styles optimised to suit each one. We need more information.

Al

Al
By throttle, I mean a thumb or twist throttle. I've seen a couple mid-drives with this. My riding will be basically all. Mostly trails with a little street

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
A Trek Powerfly 4 is £2,650 in the UK. It's a proper bike of high quality. OK it falls short of your spec - it's not full suspension - it's not "fat" tyre (comes with 2.3"), and not throttle operated, but it might do you really well.

I've got dodgy knees. Of all the activities I do, cycling hurts the least. Even climbing stairs hurts more. So I'm going to keep spinning those pedals!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
A Trek Powerfly 4 is £2,650 in the UK. It's a proper bike of high quality. OK it falls short of your spec - it's not full suspension - it's not "fat" tyre (comes with 2.3"), and not throttle operated, but it might do you really well.

I've got dodgy knees. Of all the activities I do, cycling hurts the least. Even climbing stairs hurts more. So I'm going to keep spinning those pedals!
You can get full suspension versions of the Powerfly 4.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I overlooked the budget. The only bike that does not break it is the Decathlon Stilus. I was tempted myself for a while but they seem difficult to get hold of. I'm not aware of a bike with a throttle that could be described as an EMTB however.

To the OP: watch this.........
Al

CodyDog

Oct 22, 2020
Colorado/Texas
I believe the only Class II (throttle) Ebikes on the market are hub drive systems. The majority of hub drive systems are not conducive to trail riding and are typically very heavy. One of my bikes is a Rad Rover (hub drive/throttle) fat tire bike. I basically use it as a townie bike. Okay on dirt roads but not a trail bike although it looks like its trail worthy.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
By throttle, I mean a thumb or twist throttle. I've seen a couple mid-drives with this. My riding will be basically all. Mostly trails with a little street
That is an Electric Motorcycle - this is not the place to look for advice for one of those ... AND mountain-bike trails are not the place to ride them.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
seems quite common for people to convert bikes now for around £600 , a lot of them kits come with a throttle option, it just overrides the pedal sensor. link here
I looked into it for a while. there are plenty of discussions about it on the web, forums like pedelecs and theres a discussion group on facebook called 'e bikes build not bought ' or something like that
I think they are mainly for use in town though, wouldn't dream about taking one down a steep trail. the throttle part could be dangerous on the trail, one slip and the motor goes flat out......!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Yes

Yes. Get new mtb people away so they will help close trails instead of open more. Good advice
What???? Is that sarcasm? I provided you with information including a video explaining about EMTB's. I was trying to help you and you throw it back in my face! I'm out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles