Kenevo Gen1 Never again Specialize e-bike

Aug 6, 2019
australia
One-year-old Kenevo 2020 owner and three motors. I love my Kenevo 2020 until now. This time they replace the motor with a motor that makes a grinding noise when I press on the pedals on a clime. The issue started on day one after I picked up the bike from the shop. Also, the motor displays a red line light so far once after climbing a small hill after 10 minutes of riding. I am waiting for a response from the bike shop. I didn't have any issues when they replaced the 2nd motor. I notice both motors broke after 2400 Km or every 5 months. They are asking me to keep the cadence at 80 but it is impossible. How I am going to read the display when I am going downhill or trying to generate more speed to clear a jump? I am not a happy customer. New buyers should be aware, these bikes cost a lot of money.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Noooooo ... I remmeber when you got this and you loved it .. There's no way you should be on motor 3 already.

When they say cadence of 80 .. I think they mean that when you pedal, make sure you keep the cadence at over 80. A lot of motor failures are caused by people riding in using the motor to provide assistance, but when they have a very low cadence.

You don't need to keep it AT 80 whilst you're riding, jumping, falling, parked, descending and so on ..

@Christian ... one of your neighbours in need of help !

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
I just sold my Levo today, because I am fed up with these motor issues. My last holiday was just ruined with a faulty motor. I totally get your anger there....

Cheers

rocco

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
[/QUOTE]
I know Jose well, I saw him just last week.

Jose, that’s bad luck mate. A real shame to hear about your problems.
Have you spoken directly to Specialized Australia? I’ve called them in the past regarding warranty issues and they’ve been really helpful.
Maybe try them if the bike shop hasn’t given you the answer you wanted.

Hope you sort the issue out soon and your back riding again.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I know Jose well, I saw him just last week.

Jose, that’s bad luck mate. A real shame to hear about your problems.
Have you spoken directly to Specialized Australia? I’ve called them in the past regarding warranty issues and they’ve been really helpful.
Maybe try them if the bike shop hasn’t given you the answer you wanted.

Hope you sort the issue out soon and your back riding again.
[/QUOTE]

I stopped in at an Enduro Race Meet on my way home .
Saw a marquee of the local Spesh shop wandered down and asked where is the boss ? Kid at the tent told me he worked at the shop and was very familiar with blown motors .
Boss man returned from an Enduro stage . Waited till he caught his breath and had a drink , then introduced myself . Explained the motor was making grinding noises and went into limp mode . He said no probs . They keep motors in stock . Same day service if I book a few days ahead .

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
If I had broken three engines within a year, I would definitely change the brand. No quality assured.

Luckily for me, I haven’t gotten any engines broken from either of Kenovo that I have had (put here a smile "fingers crossed")

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
To the Specialized shop yesterday .
Quick conversation . Turned on the system , rotated the cranks . Yep ! You have a blown belt . Replacement motor is in transit . [ They keep spares in stock ] . Ordered Friday . Looks like 2-3 days and I will be up and running again .

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
It’s really sad to hear about this. I’m really scared, mainly because I haven’t been able to use my bike on the last 4 months. When I’ll be ready to ride the time will eat my warranty up

Last edited:

Bille

Aug 21, 2020
US
One-year-old Kenevo 2020 owner and three motors. I love my Kenevo 2020 until now. This time they replace the motor with a motor that makes a grinding noise when I press on the pedals on a clime. The issue started on day one after I picked up the bike from the shop. Also, the motor displays a red line light so far once after climbing a small hill after 10 minutes of riding. I am waiting for a response from the bike shop. I didn't have any issues when they replaced the 2nd motor. I notice both motors broke after 2400 Km or every 5 months. They are asking me to keep the cadence at 80 but it is impossible. How I am going to read the display when I am going downhill or trying to generate more speed to clear a jump? I am not a happy customer. New buyers should be aware, these bikes cost a lot of money.
Does anyone know the reason why Specialized can't gear the motor such that it runs at the RPM it likes and we pedal at the cadence we like?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Is it the motor that breaks or a different part of the "power pack"? I'm feeling particularly pedantic this afternoon.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is it the motor that breaks or a different part of the "power pack"? I'm feeling particularly pedantic this afternoon.
Invariably, the actual motor continues to work fine and can be heard screaming away to itself....

Failures seem to revolve around the belt - sometimes. Which can fail from people using low cadence and high power- or just bad luck. Weirdly, the people several people who get the failures, get several fails - it's almost as if there's something about the brose configuration which just doesn't fit with some peoples riding styles. One advantage of the belt is it makes the brose relatively quiet.
The other fail is the sprag clutch. This has been upgraded lately. Again, for some people - it will never fail.

Pawel

Nov 2, 2020
Nuneaton, UK
I just got my 2018 Kenevo back from a motor replacement. It started to make grinding noises after just 600km and 1 month after warranty expiry. Specialized offered assisted purchase with a 35% discount. £600 including fitting. Painfull.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
WTF !!??

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: Specialized Rider Care.
Lol. Some users lock their pm so you can't contact them. They can contact you though. I believe SRC is configured that way, probably so they don't spend all their time fielding personal conversations.

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
Same here I love my Kenovo but,
5100km, 1 year, 3 motors, 2 times not starting after washing, dirt in the motor, this can get frustrating. LBS told me, to look after my bike and not go out in the rain?
So I guess I need to visit the engineers next door, as the testing on the same hills I’m on. and ask them what they are testin?

Bille

Aug 21, 2020
US
Same here I love my Kenovo but,
5100km, 1 year, 3 motors, 2 times not starting after washing, dirt in the motor, this can get frustrating. LBS told me, to look after my bike and not go out in the rain?
So I guess I need to visit the engineers next door, as the testing on the same hills I’m on. and ask them what they are testin?
Yes! Please do ask them what they are testing and then let us know.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I believe engines use combustion and motors are more synonymous with electricity.
Yet "motor sport", motor car", "motor bike", "motor boat", ""motor mechanic", "rocket motor", "Bayerische Motoren Werke " ...

And in the US, it's the "Department for Motor Vehicles", isn't it?

;)

There's no fundamental rule about this, but yes, the convention is that motors are driven by electricity.

But all engines are, by definition, motors.

Except search engines...

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
yep, would agree, there is something with your riding style or something is setup incorrectly.

What temps is your motor averaging? whats your normal rpm range? elevation? current calibration? weight?

its supplemental power, you should be the primary input not the drive unit.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
There's no fundamental rule about this, but yes, the convention is that motors are driven by electricity.

But all engines are, by definition, motors.

Except search engines...
Agree.

But then there’s also fire engines... which I’m guessing means a ‘truck’ as in - a fire truck. ? ?

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
motor is still an accurate description according to the dictionary. However, most people will associate "motor" with and ICE, and the EV geeks want to try and make sure people don't get confused so they come up with more generic or different descriptions is all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles