My First E-Bike

SmokeyJoe

Oct 5, 2024
Arkansas
My first E-Bike. Took my 15 year old hardtail and slapped a CYC gen 4 on it. Conversion was very easy. Everything fit together without issues. Running the motor at 2500 watts max. It's actually very quiet for the amount of power. The updated torque sensors on the gen 4 ride like a dream. Very nuanced power delivery. Finesse when you stop and start again on a steep hill. And insane power when you need it. Total weight with a 20 ah battery is 52 lbs. Could always drop the weight down to 45 lbs and make it sleeker looking by using a 14 ah slim battery pack.

BEFORE

461810301_1702109523899138_3262692936944618699_n.jpg

AFTER

461184080_1068326424646698_6326202194869751906_n.jpg

461546314_468171429585471_7234254089232011497_n.jpg

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
My first E-Bike. Took my 15 year old hardtail and slapped a CYC gen 4 on it. Conversion was very easy. Everything fit together without issues. Running the motor at 2500 watts max. It's actually very quiet for the amount of power. The updated torque sensors on the gen 4 ride like a dream. Very nuanced power delivery. Finesse when you stop and start again on a steep hill. And insane power when you need it. Total weight with a 20 ah battery is 52 lbs. Could always drop the weight down to 45 lbs and make it sleeker looking by using a 14 ah slim battery pack.

BEFORE

View attachment 147915

AFTER

View attachment 147916
View attachment 147917
Slick looking build. Is this a trail bike or a street bike? Do you think you have enough in the way of stopping power for that much power?

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
That thing would be a weapon. Needs hydraulic 4 pots all round. And bigger rotors.

Those cable Sram BB7s are not the right tool for the job, IMO.

Awesome bike. But definitely look at the stopping power.

SmokeyJoe

Oct 5, 2024
Arkansas
Slick looking build. Is this a trail bike or a street bike? Do you think you have enough in the way of stopping power for that much power?
75% trail 25% street (to get to the trails). Those are BB7 mechanicals. They stop as good as hydraulics. Just not as smooth as hydraulics.

SmokeyJoe

Oct 5, 2024
Arkansas
That thing would be a weapon. Needs hydraulic 4 pots all round. And bigger rotors.

Those cable Sram BB7s are not the right tool for the job, IMO.

Awesome bike. But definitely look at the stopping power.
I've tested them on the street. Rev up to 40 mph and then full stop. The stopping power is adequate....unless a cable breaks or something.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Those are BB7 mechanicals. They stop as good as hydraulics.
I had BB7s on an ebike. That's how I recognised them. I think you'd be shocked how much quicker hydraulics stop you. Much shorter stopping distance. Even a set of Shimano MT200's. On ebay would only be less than $100.

As long as you are content, but I did learn the hard way, when a car turned across me. I would have been able to come to a complete stop with hydraulics. And that ebike would not have been half as fast as your bike.

Enjoy. Be careful. (y)

SmokeyJoe

Oct 5, 2024
Arkansas
I'll check those out. I actually have Magura Marta hydraulics on my 2008 Stunt Jumper and tbh both bikes stop about the same. But those are old Magura's and I notice they got double piston brakes now. I've been out of the new mtb tech for a while, just getting back into it. But I'll see if there some nice black friday sales coming up on hydraulics.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
75% trail 25% street (to get to the trails). Those are BB7 mechanicals. They stop as good as hydraulics. Just not as smooth as hydraulics.
Mechanical brakes... oh my! I would love to see some video of your bike at speed on a trail. You must get quite a leg workout. Is it hard to hold on?

SmokeyJoe

Oct 5, 2024
Arkansas
Mechanical brakes... oh my! I would love to see some video of your bike at speed on a trail. You must get quite a leg workout. Is it hard to hold on?
It's nothing like that. I go really slow. I'm 40 and out of shape. Trying to get fit again. Didn't want to spend much on an ebike so I decided to just buy a motor and make my own. I live in the Ozarks and most trails are just climbing. Before the E-bike I was crawling along, climbing at 3mph. LOL, Maybe the CYC can speed things up a little.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
OIC! I had a vision of some wild and crazy dude ripping around the trails hanging on for dear life terrorizing the walkers and hikers and roosting the bears!

NVRider

Oct 9, 2024
Reno
How is the pedal assist? I was pretty torn between getting an oem emtb and getting a reg bike and adding a cyc or toseven. Ended up going oem, but it would be nice to have something with a throttle too.

SmokeyJoe

Oct 5, 2024
Arkansas
How is the pedal assist? I was pretty torn between getting an oem emtb and getting a reg bike and adding a cyc or toseven. Ended up going oem, but it would be nice to have something with a throttle too.
The pedal assist is pretty amazing. It's very nuanced. I've stopped and started again on steep hills a dozen times and it never jerks you . You can pedal at 2mph and if you are putting out barely any torque in your legs, the motor will just barely crawl along, never jerk you or throw you off. then if you suddenly give it a burst in your legs, the motor immediately powers up for a burst of speed. Finally was able to take it out on a real mtb trail today and I had to put the motor on street mode 750 watts. At first I had it set to 2000 watts maximum and it was just too fast. Almost crashed. And at 750 watts I only used 60% pedal assist the whole time. Rode 30 miles and got an amazing workout.

And regarding a throttle, I never even used my throttle once. Only time I can see myself using the throttle on an MTB trail is if I'm so tired I just want to get back to the car quick

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles