My E-Mountain Bike Range Experiments

MartyO

Mar 24, 2021
Oceanside, CA
When I was looking to by an E-Bike I was concerned about range. I know there are a lot of variables to range, and nobody seems to want to publish numbers. I am pleased with the range on my new Rocky. Here are some rides I have taken to determine range on my 2021 Rocky Mountain Powerplay Instinct BC Alloy 50.
  • Rain and mud day using Eco most of the time and Trail and Ludicrous for some uphill sections. 34 miles and 3800 feet of climbing and 1% battery remaining.
  • Dry day running Trail full ride except for a few tough climbs in Ludicrous. 27 miles and 3200 feet of climbing with 17% battery remaining.
  • Dry day running Ludicrous for the entire ride. Rode the first 10 miles barely keeping up with some fast guys. Pedaled hard and went fast for full ride. 20 miles and 2700 feet of climbing with 19% battery remaining.
Hope this information is helpful to someone.
MartyO

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
When I was looking to by an E-Bike I was concerned about range. I know there are a lot of variables to range, and nobody seems to want to publish numbers. I am pleased with the range on my new Rocky. Here are some rides I have taken to determine range on my 2021 Rocky Mountain Powerplay Instinct BC Alloy 50.
  • Rain and mud day using Eco most of the time and Trail and Ludicrous for some uphill sections. 34 miles and 3800 feet of climbing and 1% battery remaining.
  • Dry day running Trail full ride except for a few tough climbs in Ludicrous. 27 miles and 3200 feet of climbing with 17% battery remaining.
  • Dry day running Ludicrous for the entire ride. Rode the first 10 miles barely keeping up with some fast guys. Pedaled hard and went fast for full ride. 20 miles and 2700 feet of climbing with 19% battery remaining.
Hope this information is helpful to someone.
MartyO

What tire pressure?

What’s the combined weight of you and the bike combined?

What’s the power output of the motor and what size battery?

MartyO

Mar 24, 2021
Oceanside, CA
What tire pressure?

What’s the combined weight of you and the bike combined?

What’s the power output of the motor and what size battery?
Tire pressure: 28 F and 30 R PSI
Combined weight: 250 pounds
Motor Power is 108 nm, Eco - 40%, Trail - 65% and Ludicrous - 100%
Battery in all 2021 Rocky Mountains: 472 wh

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
Another range test... Riding Surrey Hills - usually about 30 or so miles, 4,500 ft climb, mix of power settings but only max for the biggest hills. Haibike allmtn 7, Yam PWX2, 15 psi in tyres, 14 stones rider. So the other day I collected a van - after a gravel ride on easy dry bridleways mostly in eco & at or over the cut off, only used std for the hills which gave a range of 70 miles. Pumped tyres to 20 psi... Averaged 12.8 mph.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Are they not running into a few problems with the ebike championships with lighter riders dominating. Apparently you can tell who will win even before the races start by looking at rider weight. Maybe some kind of handicap system will be introduced like in horse racing LOL

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Are they not running into a few problems with the ebike championships with lighter riders dominating. Apparently you can tell who will win even before the races start by looking at rider weight. Maybe some kind of handicap system will be introduced like in horse racing LOL
Maybe like in box fight, they will have to set different athelete weight cattegories.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
There’s nothing to add if you can get these numbers, which is why it doesn’t mean much for all the reasons listed. Some will get more, some the same some a bit less.

However, this stuff is important for those who can’t get near the numbers you’re getting. The ones who’re with their mates (also on ebikes) and their bat claps out before the end of the ride and their mates have 30%, 40% even left….

THEN something on the list needs attention and then only to finish with yer mates.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles