Mullet Kenevos?

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
I grabbed the 170mm fork and front wheel off my Pivot Firebird 29. Luckily, moving the spacers from the bottom to the top of the stem gave me the same bar height. I tried making the POS Marz fork better by installing a G2 damper, but I had to max out both compression adjusters and the pile-o-crap still couldn't bottom fast enough. After figuring out Fox 36 volume spacers don't fit(the Z1 is basically a re-badged Rhythm, with its 'cheaper'-thus thicker- stanchions) it, and finally finding out it doesn't even share the air-side with the Fox 36, I decided it was time to pull the ripcord and get a 36. Riding a lotta rock gardens, I've been kicking around trying a 29" front(at least) on my ('20)
29kenevo.jpg
Kenevo, so I figured since I have the forks and wheel on my Pivot, it'd be a perfect opportunity to try-before-you-buy, just in case it ends up riding like a rented mule.
It rained here today so I didn't get to try it out yet.
Anybody else been riding a 29" front(or both) through rocks, drops, bomb holes, yada yada?

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
Yesterday I put 10 miles in on a couple rocky, technical, but fast runs.
[Of course] it's much faster over rocks, but one thing that's inconvinient at best, and dangerous at worse, is it REALLY likes to drop its nose over jumps/bumps. This new Kenevo already jumps heavy, but with the 29" front- at least in my experience- it drops its nose like a 4-stroke mx bike with heavy engine braking. I went to 'skip' from one rock to another(like I'd done a thousand times before), and it pile-drove the nose into the second rock, ejecting me off the back, and leaving my left foot skiing along the ground. Luckily both hands stayed on the bars so I was able to get it slowed and stopped before something bad happened.
I installed a couple tokens in the forks, and am gonna ride it again today on the same trails.
Tomorrow I'm gonna take it up to Skypark(a local mountainous riding area with one run with a bunch of tables and doubles) and see how it handles their flowy jump lines.
If I'm right, it should ride like a tractor-trailer up there, in which case I'll pull the ripcord and put the 27.5 back on the front.
If anybody else has done the same mod, I'd be interested in your experience(s) with it

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yes 29 from here with Ohlins 200 front. I think from memory it did become a little nose heavy but you just have to learn to change your body position. It doesn’t do that to me anymore.
I am going to dual 29er but that’s due to too much HA.

Kenebeau

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Yes 29 from here with Ohlins 200 front. I think from memory it did become a little nose heavy but you just have to learn to change your body position. It doesn’t do that to me anymore.
I am going to dual 29er but that’s due to too much HA.
Hi Christian, hows your BB height with dual 29? Im running a 240x70 CC rear coil and 200mm fox 40 29 27.5 front and rear and the BB starting to get abit "lofty".

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hey mate, my bottom bracket sits at 370mm.
Thats on 29s using a custom Ohlins shock measuring 233/70 and a 200 fork.

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
I've got a 27.5/26 Kenevo and love it. I wanted to run a wider back tire for climbing soft terrain. Combined with an offset bushing it got my head angle down to 63°. I would like to try the 29/27 version but a 29 double crown fork is very expensive and not sure if I want the front end that high.
20200202_132535~2.jpg

Dfriz

Mar 16, 2018
USA
I've got a 27.5/26 Kenevo and love it. I wanted to run a wider back tire for climbing soft terrain. Combined with an offset bushing it got my head angle down to 63°. I would like to try the 29/27 version but a 29 double crown fork is very expensive and not sure if I want the front end that high. View attachment 40935
What off set bushings are you Running?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've got a 2018 Boxxer on it, they redesigned the crowns when they went to 29.
The new crown redesign will still fit an older fork and vice versa.
Shanchion diameter, and the legs distance apart have remained the same.
I'm not entirely sure if offset in the crowns changed but if so you should be able to buy the new crowns and fit them to your older fork if you wish.

that spacer stack under your top crown looks huge

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CjP

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
anal people like Gary.
Calm yer chakra's Bro it was simply an observation.

Don't post pics and info of your bike set-up publicly in an online bike forum if you don't want anyone to take an interest, comment or ask question about it.

64506720.jpg

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
Calm yer chakra's Bro it was simply an observation.

Don't post pics and info of your bike set-up publicly in an online bike forum if you don't want anyone to take an interest, comment or ask question about it.

64506720.jpg
Don't make comments in an online bike forum if you don't want anyone to take an interest, comment or ask question about it.

Merriam-Webster Logo

anal
https://www.merriam-webster.com/login

\ ˈā-nᵊl \
Definition of anal

: ANAL-RETENTIVEan anal disposition—often used in nontechnical contexts to describe someone as extremely or excessively neat, careful, or preciseI have a mania for neatness in some matters that is almost anal.— Joseph Heller

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't make comments in an online bike forum if you don't want anyone to take an interest, comment or ask question about it.
I actually was interested in your bike set-up. If you knew me at all you'd realise I genuinely like to see folk thinking out the box and not just accepting geometry, wheelsize etc. that's given to us by manufacturers. You've explained the reasoning for running a fatter rear tyre but I would also have been interested in hearing your reasoning for all the other the changes you've made and how it benefits your preferred riding style and terrain.
I found it interesting that you'd run your boxxer with the stanchions raised towards minimum axle to crown when it seems you wanted to have a bike with a degree slacker HA than stock. (which dropping them could also have given you).
I found it interesting that after raising the stanchions you then fitted an offset bushing to achieve a similar H/A
I wondered whether you'd gone to all this trouble in an attempt to keep the BB lower or whether you simply didn't realise you could have adjusted H/A with the fork alone.

196577.jpg

I didn't actually wonder about your grasp of our English language or lack of sense of humour at all. but thanks for sharing anyway.

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
It's a drop crown but the Kenevo has a short head tube so spacers were necessary. They are thick 5 mm spacers so very visible to get more internet comments from anal people like Gary.
Yes I can see from the photo you have a drop down crown. What I mean was did you also get a straight crown with your forks?
My fork came with two crowns, drop down for 29s and straight for 27.5.
Would solve your goose neck set up, unless you enjoy having the bars up that high.

In case it doesn’t read like it, I am trying to be informative.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles