Mudguards.!!

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
My experience is if they look good they wont work (certainly in the case of the rear) so I have Mudhugger on the rear of my Cube and RRP Bolt on standard at the front (that doesn't look too bad arguably). This was taken half way round a fairly muddy ride last winter

20210122_124457.jpg

Last edited:

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have a mudhugger for the front ?? Also have a mudhugger for the rear but not got round to fitting it as it’s massive ?

18155328-9A1D-4044-AB96-8AC10CC1F0A5.jpeg

Flyfisha

Jul 27, 2021
Australia
It’s spring in Australia with another long dry summer on it’s way . While my ride is more suited to the cycle paths I enjoy the protection 365 days a year of full mudguards as fitted standard. In fact I intend to extend the lower front guard slightly with a rubber dropper to stop even more duck mud getting on me.
E94F8C99-3307-4A2D-AD07-8DB650F0B585.jpeg

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
20210723_135957.jpg

Mudhugger FRX front and rear, keep them on all year round. For muddy winter rides I fit the large Mudhugger rear over top of the existing guard, and there's an extender piece for the front if conditions are especially mucky

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
RRP bolt-on on my Fox 34 at the front (the short one)
RRP rear

I really like how clean they look and they do a good job but at least with 29x2.6 Eddy Current tyres there isn't a lot of clearance
Every time my tyre picks a stone up you get a nice tick-tick-tick-tick as it catches the guard on the way round

The rear doesn't stop your back getting mud up it but it does stop the dropper post getting caked up

The front RRP with the fork protectors is very very nice though - I never have any mud/dirt around my fork seals even after riding out through a thunderstorm in thick stuff

2021-09-14 00.22.00-1.jpg

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
I got some of these sks as a bit of a stopgap, but they are actually quite good, front screws into steerer tube, back held pretty solidy with a strap, I was not so keen on zipties as a fixing, plus it's fixed to the frame, not to moving suspension, so less vibration, I imagine. I don't have a pic on the bike, but you can angle the rear one quite high off the back wheel, so it doesn't bottom out.

images.jpg

Last edited:

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
Also use the Mudhugger front and the large rear for my winter season Bike.
The mudhugger front works excellent but on the 29er i had to hot water form it a bit and it is maybe
a little to tight in the Assegai 2,6.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I got some of these sks as a bit of a stopgap, but they are actually quite good, front screws into steerer tube, back held pretty solidy with a strap, I was not so keen on zipties as a fixing, plus it's fixed to the frame, not to moving suspension, so less vibration, I imagine. I don't have a pic on the bike, but you can angle the rear one quite high off the back wheel, so it doesn't bottom out.

View attachment 71901
These were the first fenders I used. Sadly I had to remove them. Front fender wore into the paint of the steering tube and the rear fender would not stay in place.

Muddhugger front and muckynutts rear (I think). Much smaller profile (after a slight modification) and you barely see the zip-ties.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
The rear stans better in places w
These were the first fenders I used. Sadly I had to remove them. Front fender wore into the paint of the steering tube and the rear fender would not stay in place.

Muddhugger front and muckynutts rear (I think). Much smaller profile (after a slight modification) and you barely see the zip-ties.
I have the same rear,
The rear stays better in place with a piece of rubber or electrical tape underneat , or some small piece of double sided tape

Dashfield

May 11, 2021
Bristol, UK
I must admit that I hate the look of mud guards on bikes (and cars). I think they totally ruin the look of a nice bike.

But I wanted something for the front so I got the Fox fork mud guard for their 36 & 38 forks. I’m really happy with it. It screws directly onto the fork, it’s discrete and strong.

I’d highly recommend.

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC

View attachment 71901
These were the first fenders I installed on my Trek Rail 2020 (2019). They were easy to install and seemed to do what there’re suppose to do.

While using these, a perfectly sized rock found it’s way into my pivot point and was crushed when my suspension moved. The sound was horrific (to me) and a layer of paint was damaged. Later, I had to remove the front fender (for some reason) and was shocked to see that a layer of paint, at the front of the steering tube, was worn away. (Larger diameter). I covered the damaged area with clear-wrap. Lesson learned.
I’m more of a minimalist now and only use a small fender (modified Mucky Nuttz) on the rear to protect the pivot area and dropper post. My laundry cycle has increased and I’ve gotten use to riding with wet underwear. But I don’t recommend “the wetness” for more then a few hours 😉.

Ssscrudddy

Sep 3, 2022
Northampton
RRP Proguard Max front. Mudhugger Large rear (which I've since cut down about 3 or 4 inches), plus a cutdown Crud rear & coloured in black with a felt tip pen!
Giant Fathom E+ 2 29erafter Delapre Lake 1 5 sept 2022.JPG

Giant Fathom E+ 2 29erafter Delapre Lake 2 5 sept 2022.JPG

& after seeing where all the muck went on the front I've since added a Fahrer Akku Cover Tube.
No mud on me.

The Crud rear was originally on my 2009 Trek Remedy 9 but it was too small for my new Giant Fathom E+ 2 29er (2021)
Giant Fathom 2 E+ Delapre lake.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

& here's my first decent bike, as you can see I like mudguards. This pic was taken 11 years after it got nicked. Found it on e-bay for sale in the next town & managed to get it returned. They added the bell. I reckon they rode it once, got too many comments, & then put it away in a very dry shed!
20160512_105301.jpg

It got nicked again 2 weeks later. & for the record that 'cuda saddle is the most comfortable saddle I've ever had.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles