Muc off big bore tubeless valve

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Has anyone fitted a set of these?

Despite always leaving my bike parked with the valves at the bottom, my Presta valves get clogged with sealant on a regular basis. So I like the idea of the new valve from Muc-off. With approx. two and a half times the airflow, of a conventional Presta valve, it also promises to make inflation easier as well as clog less. There is mention of a ball valve (which must be the on/off) but no mention of a non-return valve, so how is the valve used to inflate the tyre and to change pressure afterwards? What stops the air from pissing out after each compression stroke of my pump? I know that these points must have been resolved, but none of the info I have found makes any comment.

Bike Radar have a review, but it is more like a press release than a user review.

And how do I know what stem length I need?

PS: It also seems that they are sold out everywhere, so they must work OK.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Probably the same as the santa cruz fillmore valves?
One was fitted to a warranty wheel i received recently. I came to put in the sealant and discovered there is no core to remove and apparently you just squirt it in.
Rather than risk making a mess i popped the bead.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Probably the same as the santa cruz fillmore valves?
One was fitted to a warranty wheel i received recently. I came to put in the sealant and discovered there is no core to remove and apparently you just squirt it in.
Rather than risk making a mess i popped the bead.
It has always puzzled me that sealants supposed to fill 6mm holes (some do 7mm), will "just squirt in" down the narrow tyre valve. The first and only time I tried to put some latex sealant down the valve, to my surprise it worked, but only because i had forgotten to shake the bottle! All the lumps stayed in the bottle and upon my next puncture I got loads of sealant squirting out, followed by a flat! :eek:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use the Filmore valve and I’ll install those on the new carbon wheels (whenever that happens). No valve core to remove so I thought syringe method might be difficult …but it works. I use Muc-OFF btw. Or I just pop a bead and pour it in.

Either way, I don’t get the slow psi drop as I did before. Which is probably why I only use the thumb squeeze test now.

John_likes_bikes

Jul 17, 2024
california
I believe that muc-off valve is new, it's not out of stock but rather not yet in stock. On thier site...
1722285432850.png

To me it seems overly complicated. I'd suggest the Filmore value. Amazing in its simplicity and ease of use. It's been around a while and I see little to no long term complaints.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC

Bike Radar have a review, but it is more like a press release than a user review.
I noticed that the vent holes are fairly small and may be susceptible to dry sealant clogging. (Which I’ve noticed on a few tire changes). However you can probably blast air through them faster/better.

The Filmore valve has a circular- plunger-air-stop which may be less prone to clogging. But the presta-sized-tube may not allow a large volume of compressed air to enter quickly.

Only once I’ve had to strap the tire perimeter while trying to set/pop the bead with a blast of compressed air. It was a B****!

John_likes_bikes

Jul 17, 2024
california
I noticed that the vent holes are fairly small and may be susceptible to dry sealant clogging. (Which I’ve noticed on a few tire changes). However you can probably blast air through them faster/better.

The Filmore valve has a circular- plunger-air-stop which may be less prone to clogging. But the presta-sized-tube may not allow a large volume of compressed air to enter quickly.

Only once I’ve had to strap the tire perimeter while trying to set/pop the bead with a blast of compressed air. It was a B****!
I've been able to easily seat a bead with Filmores by simply using a standard floor pump. And add sealant easily through a tube like the one Orange provides. They really seem perfect, I have no idea why people use anything else.
1722290739365.png

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
They really seem perfect, I have no idea why people use anything else.

Filmore valves are expensive. The other valves work just fine and are suitable. I’ve only installed 4 sets (2 sets on mine and 2 sets on others) and I don’t experience any psi loss or clogging.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
There is mention of a ball valve (which must be the on/off) but no mention of a non-return valve, so how is the valve used to inflate the tyre and to change pressure afterwards?

I was wondering the same thing. Frankly, I don't want to have to turn a fiddly little knob, especially when I'm wearing gloves or not wearing glasses.

For the same price as the Muc-Offs, you can get Fillmore's. I've been running them for years. When I got the bike I'm on now, the first things I bought for it were pedals and Fillmore's.

Really, it's not about the clogging. The Fillmore's provide more consistent pressure readings, and they're WAY easier to pump up. I'd expect the Muc-Offs to provide an equally good experience, but haven't talked to anyone who has actually used them. The only two things I know are that Fillmore's are nice, and Presta's are awful.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I was wondering the same thing. Frankly, I don't want to have to turn a fiddly little knob, especially when I'm wearing gloves or not wearing glasses.

For the same price as the Muc-Offs, you can get Fillmore's. I've been running them for years. When I got the bike I'm on now, the first things I bought for it were pedals and Fillmore's.

Really, it's not about the clogging. The Fillmore's provide more consistent pressure readings, and they're WAY easier to pump up. I'd expect the Muc-Offs to provide an equally good experience, but haven't talked to anyone who has actually used them. The only two things I know are that Fillmore's are nice, and Presta's are awful.
I guess for me, when I bust open a tubeless tire, and see a small colli-flower looking growth around the orfice of a standard presta valve …it looks like a clogging point. The valve core is probably not much better.

I agree though, Filmore valves are accurate, easy, and seem simple.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Assuming the rims will take it, why not just swap the Presta’s for Schraders?
I don’t know the history of presta valves …maybe because of tubeless tires or the smaller rim size? You can certainly blast more air volume through a shradder. Maybe it’s the diameter difference?…to fit certain rim holes.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I don’t know the history of presta valves …maybe because of tubeless tires or the smaller rim size? You can certainly blast more air volume through a shradder. Maybe it’s the diameter difference?…to fit certain rim holes.

The Presta valve, also known as the French valve or Sclaverand valve, was invented by Etienne Sclaverand, a Frenchman working for the Morin company.

The primary reason for developing the Presta valve was to reduce the size of the valve hole in bicycle rims. In the early days of cycling, rims were often made of wood, and later, of steel. These materials were relatively heavy, and cyclists were constantly seeking ways to reduce weight and improve performance.

A smaller valve hole meant a stronger rim, as the weakest point of a rim is around the valve hole. This allowed for the creation of lighter and more efficient wheels. Additionally, Presta valves are capable of handling higher pressures, making them ideal for road bikes and other high-performance bicycles.

In essence, the Presta valve was a technological advancement driven by the pursuit of lighter, faster, and more efficient bicycles.

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
"Additionally, Presta valves are capable of handling higher pressures, making them ideal for road bikes and other high-performance bicycles."

Which is contradicted by the pressures in forks and rear shocks somewhat.
Imho, prestas are just a hang up from the daft roadie influenced weight weenie days of XC and the lengths that some brands go to to make presta sized valves that are less compromised when schraders exist is hilarious. 😄

Fwiw, I'll keep to using £5 valves and buying bags of new cores every so often.

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I swapped mine to Schrader a while ago on my Levo (I emailed Roval first to make sure the rims would be fine first). Went with Stans Schrader no tubes valves. The constant cussing and swearing around bent valve cores, fiddly inflation and broken pump heads forever gone :D

Additional bonus - I put the prestas on my wife’s dutch bike and got rid of whatever non standard crap non presta/schrader valves she had. Winner!

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire

Despite always leaving my bike parked with the valves at the bottom, my Presta valves get clogged with sealant on a regular basis. So I like the idea of the new valve from Muc-off. With approx. two and a half times the airflow, of a conventional Presta valve, it also promises to make inflation easier as well as clog less. There is mention of a ball valve (which must be the on/off) but no mention of a non-return valve, so how is the valve used to inflate the tyre and to change pressure afterwards? What stops the air from pissing out after each compression stroke of my pump? I know that these points must have been resolved, but none of the info I have found makes any comment.

And how do I know what stem length I need?

PS: It also seems that they are sold out everywhere, so they must work OK.
I think parking with the valves at the bottom may not be ideal, sealant will run around the rim and (depending on the shape of the end of the valve) may well hang around until you connect a pump or gauge and then a small amount come back out to clog the valve. I leave mine at any angle except top or bottom.

Every bike pump has a non-return valve in it. I haven't seen any more info than you posted but I am guessing that the idea is that you connect the pump, then open the ball valve, then pump to your desired pressure, then try to remember to close the ball valve before removing the pump (or hilarity will ensue).

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
Schrader valves didn't come into bicycles until the mid 1970s , it was a game changer as french valves were not liked[eg make and put car valves on bikes or else], but how and why french valves made a comeback is beyond me.:D

Larsey

Feb 4, 2018
MN
I love the Fillmores, but when setting up a Bosch bike with Valve mount speed sensor the Fillmore did not have enough threads to secure the sensor.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I love the Fillmores, but when setting up a Bosch bike with Valve mount speed sensor the Fillmore did not have enough threads to secure the sensor.

Yeah, it's pretty tight. I'm running the 50 mm stem and all my stuff fits. I borrowed a friend's pump, and it didn't fit. I thought of getting a 70 mm stem for the rear, but that might look goofy. Another idea was to modify the plastic block, or even make a new one with my own magnet, but it's not necessary right now. Hopefully the Muc-Offs will work out for you.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
DT Swiss do an alternative magnet that goes in the rim bed inside the tyre. It is partly secured by the valve but doesn't add much thickness I don't think but can also just be stuck on elsewhere round the rim.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles