Motors for The biggeer guys

Busybee

Jan 31, 2020
Australia
Hey Everyone

Im looking at getting my first Ebike and hearing alot of mixed reviews about some motors not being suited for heavier riders, I currently ride a Specialized stumpy carbon comp and love it, but i just never have enough free time to ride as far as I would like, so im looking at the Ebike to help maximise my time on a bike.
I am currently sitting at 140kgs (down from 165kg)and aiming to drop another 20kg and 6 foot 1" tall
the bikes i have ridden so far are Levo comp and Trek powerfly 5, enjoyed them both.

Im liking the look of these bikes through my local dealers
Levo Comp
Focus Jam2 with bosch gen 4
Trek Rail 7 with Bosch gen 4
Norco sight vlt c2 with shimao e8000
Marida e160 8000 with shimano e8000
Rocky Mountain Instinct BC edition

Can anyone give my some insight into how these motors preform with a larger rider
Cheers for your input
Matt

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm half the man you are, so I can't compare them from personal experience from that side.

You'll find all those have "similar" real world performance though. The Brose is listed as having a higher Torque than the Bosch and the Shimano, but in reality you won't notice any difference when riding.

The main thing you'll notice is less range with more mass, so ideally try to go for the 625w or 700w option depending on which bike you're talking about and how far you intend to ride.

There's plenty of guys on here who are successfully calorifically invested who should be able to confirm that you won't have any problems with any of the motors on your list.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I wouldn't worry much about the motor but more if the bike is weight rated. I have the norco sight and it's listed Max weight 115kg, I'm 114kg and have absolutely no issues. The rear shock is at Max 300 psi, so thats something to consider. Some of the giants were rated 140kg when I was looking around.

The shimano motor is rated one of the weakest for torque and its a beast so don't stress about the motor but more about the bike fit.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I’d look at burlier forks than the 34mm fox on the Levo. I think this is fine for lighter folk but a 35/36mm better for the weight. What’s the weight loading of the new Lenevo frame? The dual crown would be useful here.

Like @Zimmerframe I’m at the lighter end but I’d say the Shimano and Brose have enough power.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Agree with @Zimmerframe that having a big battery is going to be main consideration, as the biggest factor on battery range is the weight of the rider (putting aside mode choice). All of the current motors will do the job.

You will also want to bare in mind if you can charge the bike where you keep it - bikes like the Norco and RM have built in batteries the cant be removed, meaning you have to charge them in the bike, and that you cant use a spare battery.

Personally I would be looking at the Trek out of the Bosch motored bikes, as the Jam whilst a good bike, is definitely more of a trail/entry level bike in terms of geometry and design. The Trek is also very well thought out in terms of all the boring little design features that actually make a big difference in terms of living with an EMTB.

Another bike worth looking at with the Bosch would be the Whyte, but this does have a built in barratry that whilst removable, isn't something you would want to do on a regular basis. IMO its one of the best bikes out there for uk riding right now

The reliability issues with the Specilizeds would put me off - yes plenty of people haven't had issues, but a hell of a lot have. Most important thing is to buy form a good shop who know EMTB's and are there to give you back up when you need it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also having a carbon framed bike is IMO irrelevant on an EMTB, much better to get an alloy frame and spec up the suspension, which is critical to have good quality wise on an EMTB.

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
Yeah seriously any of the mainstream motors now are sweet. ‘Even’ the Shimano at a ‘measly’ 70ft/lbs will be capable of more of a climb than you ever can be, so honestly don’t worry about that. (Actually the Shimano has one of the best UXs in my opinion).
Just worry about battery and geo that you like best.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What sort of rider you are and where you're going to be riding has waaay more bearing on what bike you should go for than your weight.
but you will need to check each bike you're considering has a suitable leverage curve and that the shock can actually be set up to hold your weight. Most decent forks will work for a rider of your weight. But you will be near the max pressure on most air springs.
Motor's honestly not all that important. All the top motors are decent.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Example of why the motor doesn't matter, but the battery does:

I have a Bosch Performance Line motor (not the more powerful 'CX' model you usually get on eMTBs) on a long-tail cargo bike. The bike is 27Kg. I am 100Kg fully loaded. And I've had an adult sat on the back weighing (I'll be kind) probably 85Kg.

And I got up a very steep road, in Turbo, fairly slowly but without too much effort.

The only implication was that combined weight of 210Kg+ riding in turbo, uphill, for 10 minutes consumed 20-30% of the battery!

Busybee

Jan 31, 2020
Australia
I'm half the man you are, so I can't compare them from personal experience from that side.

You'll find all those have "similar" real world performance though. The Brose is listed as having a higher Torque than the Bosch and the Shimano, but in reality you won't notice any difference when riding.

The main thing you'll notice is less range with more mass, so ideally try to go for the 625w or 700w option depending on which bike you're talking about and how far you intend to ride.

There's plenty of guys on here who are successfully calorifically invested who should be able to confirm that you won't have any problems with any of the motors on your list.

Yes battery size is something I have been looking at, I like the look and spec of the Marida e160 8000, but the 504wh battery is a little bit of a turn off.

Busybee

Jan 31, 2020
Australia
I wouldn't worry much about the motor but more if the bike is weight rated. I have the norco sight and it's listed Max weight 115kg, I'm 114kg and have absolutely no issues. The rear shock is at Max 300 psi, so thats something to consider. Some of the giants were rated 140kg when I was looking around.

The shimano motor is rated one of the weakest for torque and its a beast so don't stress about the motor but more about the bike fit.

Thanks will look into the weights side of things a bit more. Tho I believe my stumpy is only rated to 113kg ? with 34mm fox fork and dps shock, I have put in some volume spacers to improve bottoming resistance, tho would like some burlier suspension on my E bike

Busybee

Jan 31, 2020
Australia
Agree with @Zimmerframe that having a big battery is going to be main consideration, as the biggest factor on battery range is the weight of the rider (putting aside mode choice). All of the current motors will do the job.

You will also want to bare in mind if you can charge the bike where you keep it - bikes like the Norco and RM have built in batteries the cant be removed, meaning you have to charge them in the bike, and that you cant use a spare battery.

Personally I would be looking at the Trek out of the Bosch motored bikes, as the Jam whilst a good bike, is definitely more of a trail/entry level bike in terms of geometry and design. The Trek is also very well thought out in terms of all the boring little design features that actually make a big difference in terms of living with an EMTB.

Another bike worth looking at with the Bosch would be the Whyte, but this does have a built in barratry that whilst removable, isn't something you would want to do on a regular basis. IMO its one of the best bikes out there for uk riding right now

The reliability issues with the Specilizeds would put me off - yes plenty of people haven't had issues, but a hell of a lot have. Most important thing is to buy form a good shop who know EMTB's and are there to give you back up when you need it.

Charging batteries in the frame is not a issue, tho I like the idea of a removable battery, if I chose to get a second battery for a epic weekend away in the future would be good. In saying that I see Norco are bringing a boost pack.

The local Trek dealer is not the best so does turn me off a little bit, otherwise the bike itself is nice.
I like the thought of the focus as it’s through my current bike shop and comes in around $1500-2500 dollars cheaper than others I’m looking at, so that money would cover some nice suspension and brake upgrades
I live in Australia ?? and it looks as they don’t import the Whyte E bike That I can see.
The Levo I love the look and feel but the price is crazy $9000 for the comp, they are my current shop so I know they will look after me well but have heard a lot of mixed reviews on motor. Tho from what I have read a lot of issues with the Levo’s are water related? So not as big an issue for me as we don’t tend to get that much rain
The shop also sells the Focus and Giant

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm about the same size/weight and have a Levo base model, 500Wh battery.
Yesterday I did a 12 mile loop at Sutton Bank which involved climbing back up the edge of the moors. Battery started at 95% and was at 37% by end of ride, about 1hr 40 with stops. So about 58% used on that ride, hauling me up the big climb. Blevo said over 2200ft of climbing.

Levo set up is fine for my weight, shocks and tyres all set correctly. Motor was fine and pulled strongly up the steep bits. If you get the comp you'll have the bigger battery so I'd suggest you have no problems with range and power.

Busybee

Jan 31, 2020
Australia
I'm about the same size/weight and have a Levo base model, 500Wh battery.
Yesterday I did a 12 mile loop at Sutton Bank which involved climbing back up the edge of the moors. Battery started at 95% and was at 37% by end of ride, about 1hr 40 with stops. So about 58% used on that ride, hauling me up the big climb. Blevo said over 2200ft of climbing.

Levo set up is fine for my weight, shocks and tyres all set correctly. Motor was fine and pulled strongly up the steep bits. If you get the comp you'll have the bigger battery so I'd suggest you have no problems with range and power.

Awesome, that’s great to hear.
Is your Levo still stock suspension? 19 model?

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I know the yt decoy is not on ur list but I am 6’1 an 130ish Kg I spoke to yt regarding my weight before I ordered mine as I had concerns an they said combined weight is max 150Kg that’s u,kit,bike etc. I also spoke to a mechanic in a reputable bike shop an said the fox 36 an x2 would have no problems with my weight an that the max pressures are way under (his words not mine) my forks are at 145psi with 3 tokens 15% sag an rear shock at 325 with 3 tokens 23% sag an it’s almost spot on just need to fettle a bit more am she will be all good. E8000 motor has no issues with my fat ass on it at all an the battery lasts quite well if I’m on flat I just turn the motor off plus I use eco quite a bit . Can’t comment on other bikes as the decoy was what I wanted an did not test any other bikes

Busybee

Jan 31, 2020
Australia
I know the yt decoy is not on ur list but I am 6’1 an 130ish Kg I spoke to yt regarding my weight before I ordered mine as I had concerns an they said combined weight is max 150Kg that’s u,kit,bike etc. I also spoke to a mechanic in a reputable bike shop an said the fox 36 an x2 would have no problems with my weight an that the max pressures are way under (his words not mine) my forks are at 145psi with 3 tokens 15% sag an rear shock at 325 with 3 tokens 23% sag an it’s almost spot on just need to fettle a bit more am she will be all good. E8000 motor has no issues with my fat ass on it at all an the battery lasts quite well if I’m on flat I just turn the motor off plus I use eco quite a bit . Can’t comment on other bikes as the decoy was what I wanted an did not test any other bikes
I love the look of the YT, but looking to stay with a local shop at this stage, so I can test ride and get a feel for what I like or don’t like, I have only ridden 29” wheels so would like to try the mullet and 27.5” to see how they feel

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Like others have said big battery is important for heavy buggers,having said that getting a bike that fits well and suits your riding style is also important. Have you looked at the Giant reign E+1,solid fox suspension spec , battery 500wh though and 27.5, does have 6 amp charger which is more that most.

The RM Instinct has the most power by a bit 108nm, not sure how this translates on the trail as I havent riden one, some of the RM have quite short chainstays,if you ride steep climbs something to think about,may loop out easyer.

I have a Trek LT9(gen 2 bosch,small chainring)I'm 6'4 115ish kg, I have fitted a 29'r to the front end which I really like, I would prefer a little more power on the real steep climbs, also not quite low enough geared for me. Not a big fan of the re'active shock, I've had 1 replaced(leaked oil) the loaner shock also leaked ,the replacment I've only had a few weeks, they may have upgraded them?

I guess one thing is you cant upgrade the battery/motor but just about everything else you can!

exciting time getting your first ebike, best of luck

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Had a 2019 Scott eGenius with the Shimano motor and at the same time had a Levo Comp with the Brose. I bought the Levo to be able to fit the 700Wh battery as both the Scott & the Levo only gave my fat ass 40km riding around Rotorua and most of that was in Eco mode.
In my opinion the Scott was a much better bike - the Shimano motor felt more natural than the Brose, but the Brose was quieter cruising in Eco. When you put the hammer down on big climbs in Trail or Turbo there really was not much difference in noise. I also preferred the higher spec level of the Scott and the price was also way cheaper ($1400 on price paid - $1600 on suggested retail.)
Sold the Scott and currently have the Levo for sale - replacing with another Scott, but with the Bosch motor.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Had a 2019 Scott eGenius with the Shimano motor and at the same time had a Levo Comp with the Brose. I bought the Levo to be able to fit the 700Wh battery as both the Scott & the Levo only gave my fat ass 40km riding around Rotorua and most of that was in Eco mode.
In my opinion the Scott was a much better bike - the Shimano motor felt more natural than the Brose, but the Brose was quieter cruising in Eco. When you put the hammer down on big climbs in Trail or Turbo there really was not much difference in noise. I also preferred the higher spec level of the Scott and the price was also way cheaper ($1400 on price paid - $1600 on suggested retail.)
Sold the Scott and currently have the Levo for sale - replacing with another Scott, but with the Bosch motor.
Did the levo with the 700wh battery not have more range than the Scott?
How many meters of climbing do you get out of the 40km ride.
I get about 38km approx 850m of climbing using mid-high power settings(500wh)
I had a trip to Rotorua a few weeks ago, super impressed with the redwoods trail network,had a blast there, perfect set up for e-bikes
What model Scott you getting?

cheers

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Did the levo with the 700wh battery not have more range than the Scott?

How many meters of climbing do you get out of the 40km ride.

I get about 38km approx 850m of climbing using mid-high power settings(500wh)

I had a trip to Rotorua a few weeks ago, super impressed with the redwoods trail network,had a blast there, perfect set up for e-bikes

What model Scott you getting?

cheers
Yes - had 60km with 12% remaining riding the Waikato River Trail but that was pretty much all in Eco and just cruising along.

Around 880m - 920m climbing depending on the trails. About 85% Eco, 10% Trail, 5% Turbo.

On of the original old trails Old Chevy could have been made with ebikes in mind I reckon - is a blast.

Getting the Genius eRide Tuned. Pretty damned sexy looking on the web and i love the component mix.

Example of a ride
Rotovegas

Used to do 46-48km loop on my non ebike but unable to do that which is why I got the Levo.
Each time I have been down on that there were trails closed for logging so I haven't done that big loop yet.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Hey Everyone

Im looking at getting my first Ebike and hearing alot of mixed reviews about some motors not being suited for heavier riders, I currently ride a Specialized stumpy carbon comp and love it, but i just never have enough free time to ride as far as I would like, so im looking at the Ebike to help maximise my time on a bike.
I am currently sitting at 140kgs (down from 165kg)and aiming to drop another 20kg and 6 foot 1" tall
the bikes i have ridden so far are Levo comp and Trek powerfly 5, enjoyed them both.

Levo Comp

Can anyone give my some insight into how these motors preform with a larger rider
Cheers for your input
Matt

I'm roughly your size and weight. I ride a Giant so I have the Yamaha motor. It has no trouble hauling my bulk up some pretty steep climbs. In fact, I almost exclusively use the middle power setting.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Hey Everyone

Levo Comp

Cheers for your input
Matt
I'm 130kg ready to ride and I've had an XL Levo Comp since October '18
My advice would be to go for a big battery if possible 625 - 700wh and buy from a shop who knows what they are doing.

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
I've gone for the 2nd battery approach. If you go "old school" external you can double your range (i.e. never worry about it) for an extra 3kg in your backpack and £450ish less in your wallet. ? Also possible with non-external but you need to look at dimensions more carefully than the relatively compact external batteries.

TommyBoyMTB

Feb 8, 2020
Dillsburg PA
Hey Everyone

Levo Comp

Cheers for your input
Matt
I'm very close to your weight. I've been on a YT Decoy for about 8 months. Plenty of power and range for me. Where I ride has lots of long climbs. I'm trying to find tuner that has experience tuning shocks for heavier riders. Good luck! It has been a game changer for me.

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
I am 118kg, geared up prob more like 120 on a 2020 kenevo and I pleasantly surprised each time I ride how soild and powerful the bike feels. In my local riding group there are a few big boys on aluminium levos who also seem to doing just fine.

Dec 18, 2019
UK
As previously mentioned by a few folks, you need to watch out for the weight limits. Top of the tree is Nicolai, with a 150kg rider weight limit. Next down the list at 136kg's are, Kona's Remote 160, Specialized's Kenevo's and Levo's, and Santa Cruz's Heckler. Then the weight limit's start to tumble. Mondraker's Level R comes in at 126kg and they get lower and lower, as already mentioned, with Focus giving you barely 95kg's for the rider, so I definitely wouldn't be buying one of those.
I've had the Heckler out and did 2500ft climbing over 17 miles, i'm 108kg and had two bars of battery left. Yes, a bigger battery will give you more, but it's not a deal breaker.
The thing I found with the Shimano motor was, that when I really started to put the power down, the motor appeared to give up providing any assistance and it wasn't until i'd eased off that I felt the motor kick back in. So much for the motor giving you more in return for more effort put in by the rider.
Personal preference would see me try to buy a bike with the Shimano motor, as it's far less draggy when it kicks out at 25kph than the Bosch Gen 4. I do like the Kenevo, but the reliability issues are off putting for the outlay. I think i'll wait for the 2021 Remote 160, as i'm hoping they'll integrate the speed sensor into the disk and, maybe, offer a 29er option. For the money, it's probably the best value e-mtb for big units.

Busybee

Jan 31, 2020
Australia
As previously mentioned by a few folks, you need to watch out for the weight limits. Top of the tree is Nicolai, with a 150kg rider weight limit. Next down the list at 136kg's are, Kona's Remote 160, Specialized's Kenevo's and Levo's, and Santa Cruz's Heckler. Then the weight limit's start to tumble. Mondraker's Level R comes in at 126kg and they get lower and lower, as already mentioned, with Focus giving you barely 95kg's for the rider, so I definitely wouldn't be buying one of those.
I've had the Heckler out and did 2500ft climbing over 17 miles, i'm 108kg and had two bars of battery left. Yes, a bigger battery will give you more, but it's not a deal breaker.
The thing I found with the Shimano motor was, that when I really started to put the power down, the motor appeared to give up providing any assistance and it wasn't until i'd eased off that I felt the motor kick back in. So much for the motor giving you more in return for more effort put in by the rider.
Personal preference would see me try to buy a bike with the Shimano motor, as it's far less draggy when it kicks out at 25kph than the Bosch Gen 4. I do like the Kenevo, but the reliability issues are off putting for the outlay. I think i'll wait for the 2021 Remote 160, as i'm hoping they'll integrate the speed sensor into the disk and, maybe, offer a 29er option. For the money, it's probably the best value e-mtb for big units.

Where can I find this info on weights?
I’ve had a look on a few manufacturers pages but can’t seem to find it, might just be blind??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles