Motor serial number

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
I was unfortunate enough to require a warranty replacement Bosch CX motor on a new Trek Rail when it started clicking after just 50 miles. LbS were excellent about it btw.
I was curious to check the serial number for the new one but couldn't find one nor one listed on the documents that came with the bike. Surely they must have a serial number stamped on them somewhere ?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That’s a good question. I’ve never seen a serial number on any of the gen cx Bosch models that I’ve worked on or had to drop. I have a spare sitting on my shelf …I’m gonna check.

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
That’s a good question. I’ve never seen a serial number on any of the gen cx Bosch models that I’ve worked on or had to drop. I have a spare sitting on my shelf …I’m gonna check.
I realise that there will be an "indentifyer" or serial number when pulugged into the computer but it just seems strange no model identifyer stamped on the case or even a sticker.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Which makes me think that we should retain the PCB when rebuilding or swapping motors. (If the condition is still ok).

There are many components and methods that are certainly reserved for the experienced rebuilders who know. I see a market for that sector. I think the pcb is the only method that Bosch can control their product …with tracking, updates, modifications, or gawd forbid…bricking.

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
Which makes me think that we should retain the PCB when rebuilding or swapping motors. (If the condition is still ok).

There are many components and methods that are certainly reserved for the experienced rebuilders who know. I see a market for that sector. I think the pcb is the only method that Bosch can control their product …with tracking, updates, modifications, or gawd forbid…bricking.
It's suprised me that there are any "chinese" copies or "re-worked" controller boards by now that allow user access to the firmware on the controller.
The rest is simply hardware eg. motor & sensors.

However, I am still suprised that there isn't some form of identifier/serial number stamped on the casings somewhere. How do Bosch track replacement and failures to product eg. bike manufacturer & frame (or even motors with swapped controllers/components) . Just about every other product I have purchase has a serial/batch number.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles