Levo Gen 3 Motor cut off and gear shifting

Aug 22, 2024
Georgia
Hello!

Recently I picked up my first "non-chineese-kit-converted" eBike: Turbo Levo gen3. Since first ride I've noticed that the motor does not cut off immediately after I stop pedaling: it continues to deliver power for about 0.5-1.5 sec. and then cuts off sharply (without "inertia"), i.e. I can feel small, but noticeable tug on the bike.
I have never owned a mid drive eBike before so I have a question: is this behavior normal?

It feels a bit weird, especially when shifting gears. Usually (on a non electric bike) I stop pedaling for like a fraction of a second, shift gears smoothly without load and then continue pedaling. On my new Levo when I stop pedaling and shift gears - the motor still delivers power to the chain because of that lag. Thus the shifting is not as smooth and sometime I can hear that terrible shifting sound. It also leads to an excessive chain and cassette wear.
Another question: should I maybe update firmware or change settings (which?) to prevent such a behaviour? Or maybe it is normal and I am worring for no reason?

Appreciate any advice you can give me.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
It's been normal since at least gen 2. I think you will grow to like it. If you were not putting a ton of power into the pedals just before shifting, then the motor will not be providing much assistance. Having the motor spin the chainring when you are not pedaling means that the shift can complete even though you are not pedaling.

So the thing to learn is to back off your power into the pedals a moment before shifting. Doing that should result in grind-free shifting. It does for me, FWIW.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
its useful to get over rocks etc when you cant always pedal. I expect you'll grow to like it soon enough. You don't need to stop pedalling to change gear, just relax the pressure somewhat on the pedals, and avoid changing when going uphill if poss by planning ahead a bit further.

Aug 22, 2024
Georgia
Thanks for the advice!

On a non-electric bike I did exactly the same: didn't stop pedaling completely, but pedaled exactly enough to keep the chain spinning without engaging the ratchet and transferring any power to the wheel.
On an eBike the motor still delivers power to the wheel if I pedal in such "idle" mode. I will keep practicing.

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
I had the same and I cured it by turning the assist up quite a bit
As far as gears crunching you might want to check your derailleur adjustment. I can change gear on my Levo under a very large load with little noise. I’ve cleaned all the factory lube and corrosion coating off my chain and hot waxed it with paraffin wax and PTFE , if that makes any difference.
B

stumpydumpy

Dec 15, 2020
Europe
hi T,
Yes it is normal for the Levo to run a little longer. It is not typical for the Levo only. I think it is caused by the Brose.motor, for my levo's (Gen 1-3) and the Rotwild had this to.
Yes, you can get this a bit milder with the app (at least with the old MC you could).
But, I expierenced I use it differently in a variety circomstances. When I do more like XC, in the flats, I tune the effect away. But when I do the mountains I appriciate it very much. It gives you the ability to overcome rocks etc.
So, depends on where you live. Do you go to the mountains? let it be this way and get used to it. Chances are that you will love it.
Have fun

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles