Morning all.

Godders76

Apr 29, 2020
Peak District, uk
Hi everyone, new to this and about to enter the bike world. Im not fully sure which I'm going to buy yet, but currently looking at the cubes, 160mm or even the 140mm. I like the look of the YT decoy but feel concerned about not having a shop to drop it back at. Also theres the GT-E, anyone got reviews of that as my local shop stock them. I feel the cube is winning so far with value and what I want from a bike, but can anyone tell me differently? Cheers.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Welcome!

Looks like I am posting this on multiple threads today but this this is the rough process I would use to chose an EMTB, following the order bellow - I have ignored budget, the majority of bikes on the market in 2020 are very good, so focus on getting the right bike for you in terms of fit, and for your riding:

• Do you have ability to charge the bike where you keep it? If you dont you are going to want a bike where the battery is designed to be easily removable.
  • Do you regularly do rides over 30 miles or a lot of elevation gain? If so you are going to want to look at bikes with larger capacity battery, or again one with an easily removable battery so you can carry a spare.
  • Once you have used the above criteria to narrow down the choices, apply the logic you would to buying any bike, namely that the fit is right for you, the intended use is right, and that the basic spec, wheel size and geometry is what you want. Also factor in things like ability to carry a water bottle if important to you.
  • Buy from LBS or direct sale? If you are not mechanically minded, then an LBS and the back up they offer is going to be invaluable. If you go down the direct sales route, and are not confident mechanically, then having an LBS you are on good terms with is going to be useful too. If buying a Specialized IMO it is critical you get from a good local shop, as they are some minor issues that crop up with them that a good Specilized dealer can sort easily meaning you minimise time off the bike if you have an issue.
  • Finally once you have used the above to get a short list, have a look at the motors and systems, as others have said the reality is there is not much difference in the real world out on the trail, and the basic geometry and components will make more of a difference to how you get on with the bike, but obviously each system may have elects that are more appealing to you than others.
  • Now go buy the bike, set it up, and get out and ride!

ses310

Apr 28, 2020
Kidderminster
I'm in the same boat as you, have been looking for a while and nothing else seem to match the cube in terms of spec for the price. Once this lockdown situation eases I will go test ride and make sure it fits me ok.
I am looking at the Action Team, probably the 160 but will see on the test ride

Godders76

Apr 29, 2020
Peak District, uk
I'm in the same boat as you, have been looking for a while and nothing else seem to match the cube in terms of spec for the price. Once this lockdown situation eases I will go test ride and make sure it fits me ok.
I am looking at the Action Team, probably the 160 but will see on the test ride
Hi mate, I actually had a go of the cube 160mm other day. I was just running in the park and passed a lad who was sat on a bench, he had just got the cube. We social distanced but he let me have a go, it felt brilliant, med size was too small for me, but such fun for a quick blast especially up this steep, rooty bank. There would be no way I could of got up that on my normal bike. it was this one -

CUBE Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC TM 625 27.5 grey´n´orange 2020

Proper nice machine. Im looking at either this model, the 140mm 29er version of it, or the team model above.

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
Welcome mate, the Peak District is made for ebiking (or is that the wrong way round?!). Whatever you decide have fun and enjoy.

Godders76

Apr 29, 2020
Peak District, uk
Welcome mate, the Peak District is made for ebiking (or is that the wrong way round?!). Whatever you decide have fun and enjoy.
Cheers pal, I've got a few mtb's at the moment, one being an endure rig which i love, but having a 1 year old baba I now find it hard to get out as far/time etc so feel the eeb will help with all that :)

Last edited:

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
Cheers pal, I've got a few mtb's at the moment, one being an endure rig which i love, but haven't a 1 year old baba I now find it hard to get out as far/time etc so feel the eeb will help with all that :)

I know exactly what you mean, we have a 3 month old so opportunities to get out are not exactly forthcoming!! The emtb makes a big difference!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles