More agile than a Turbo Levo

Mr. Light

Jan 3, 2023
Los Angeles
It’s already been said but I’ll say it again to reiterate: The Levo is already one of the more nimble full power ebikes. To do better you either need to upgrade components or get a lighter/less powerfull SL bike.

The base model Levo IS very heavy tho. A wheel upgrade would make the most difference in feel. After that it's a game of diminishing returns. My Levo is top spec everything but it's still a pig and will never feel anything like a regular pedal bike. Just have to embrace the weight and use it to your advantage. It's a different kind of riding for sure but equally fun IMHO

Coedwig

Aug 25, 2023
UK
It’s already been said but I’ll say it again to reiterate: The Levo is already one of the more nimble full power ebikes. To do better you either need to upgrade components or get a lighter/less powerfull SL bike.

The base model Levo IS very heavy tho. A wheel upgrade would make the most difference in feel. After that it's a game of diminishing returns. My Levo is top spec everything but it's still a pig and will never feel anything like a regular pedal bike. Just have to embrace the weight and use it to your advantage. It's a different kind of riding for sure but equally fun IMHO
Is the extra weight in the base model mostly the wheels or is it the fork too?

Mr. Light

Jan 3, 2023
Los Angeles
Yes, that fork is a brick but you would notice lighter wheels a lot more than a lighter fork.

If you're happy with the rest of the bike it might be easier just to upgrade a couple things to bring the weight down.

Coedwig

Aug 25, 2023
UK
Yes, that fork is a brick but you would notice lighter wheels a lot more than a lighter fork.

If you're happy with the rest of the bike it might be easier just to upgrade a couple things to bring the weight down.
Thanks. What fork would you recommend if I was looking at making it more nimble rather than a big hit machine?

Mr. Light

Jan 3, 2023
Los Angeles
Also, does lighter wheels mean carbon or just a better alloy wheelset?
Lyrik is the lighter of the two and it's my personal favorite over the Fox 36.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. I prefer carbon but there are some nice lightweight alloy options too.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
FF bikes are tanks, there's no getting away from that so getting trigger happy with the wife's credit card may not get you the result you want; you could end up spending a ton of money and still not being happy.

A decent wheel set should be your first change, followed by decent forks. The reduction in unsprung mass will make a big difference and stiffer forks will make the bike feel more responsive.

After that you really are into the world of diminishing returns where the £/g starts to soar ever smaller results.

If you're doing laps you could stash you gear near the start point and drink each time you pass.

As a last resort, the average poop weighs 250-500g which is a useful amount to drop for free...

Coedwig

Aug 25, 2023
UK
Lyrik is the lighter of the two and it's my personal favorite over the Fox 36.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. I prefer carbon but there are some nice lightweight alloy options too.
Are you using a current gen lyric? Any issues?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
A pair of hunt trail wide wheels will be ~1900g for £359 new. The XC wide is claimed to be 1700g for the same money.

Some Bontrager XR4s will be sub 800g each for the 2.4s. Light, cheap and fast for not much money (relatively speaking)

Mr. Light

Jan 3, 2023
Los Angeles
I run a 38 and DH casing tires but I also lean toward the gravity side of things. Had a Lyrik on my old Levo SL and loved it. Have a Pike on the current Epic Evo (8) and also love that. No experience with the current Lyrik but have buds running it with no complaints

Coedwig

Aug 25, 2023
UK
A pair of hunt trail wide wheels will be ~1900g for £359 new. The XC wide is claimed to be 1700g for the same money.

Some Bontrager XR4s will be sub 800g each for the 2.4s. Light, cheap and fast for not much money (relatively speaking)
Thanks. Any idea how much the stock wheelset weighs?

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC

Agree. Rotational weight first, furthest from the rotation. Lighter wheels and tires. Love my XR4's, but they have been discontinued for thr Gunnison, now at 950g for the top model. Lighter wheelset will also affect motor and battery performance, so double bang for th buck on an ebike.

And, lighter wheels and tires will make the dofference in corner nimbleness, changing directions, gyro effect.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK

I’m running some middle of the range Nukeproof wheels, mainly because the stock ones wouldn’t take a Fox fork, not because they were significantly heavier.

I’m running Lyrik Ultimates now, much lighter than the base RS 35 Silver it came with, along with some lighter tubeless tyres over the stock ones. Those two things do make a difference to how nimble it feels.

Coedwig

Aug 25, 2023
UK
I’m running some middle of the range Nukeproof wheels, mainly because the stock ones wouldn’t take a Fox fork, not because they were significantly heavier.

I’m running Lyrik Ultimates now, much lighter than the base RS 35 Silver it came with, along with some lighter tubeless tyres over the stock ones. Those two things do make a difference to how nimble it feels.
Cheers Tooks. Do you have the 500wh battery in yours? Do you know if the stock wheels would be compatible with the Lyrik Ultimate and what tyres are you running?

Cheers!

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
You wont ever get the levo feeling like a normal bike you would be able to get it very close with the levo sl2 but not the gen 3. My friend has the alloy model of the levo and i got a carbon frame build, riding his it feels pretty much same as mine except he has crap brakes(both on rockshox builds)

My bikes still poppy in the S5 build with Zebs and a deluxe ultimate on rear. I run 780mm carbon bars with a 35mm stem on mine and at 6,2ft its perfect. Food for thought i owned the S4 expert previously and that was great locally but felt small and twitchy at parks.

I think you just have to adapt to ride the heavier bikes, they are fun in there own style its just nothing like a normal bike. The SL's however do feel closer.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Found the thread late but I am all in on replacing the suspension. I love the fox float x rear shock on my Kenevo. I was very disappointed with the rockshox select rear shock…. I hated the way the bike felt. I put on the float x and it was a different bike. The fork that came on your bike is …. Sorry but it’s crap. Zeb or 38 would be a better choice imo. The zed is poppie and the 38 is plush( grip x or grip2 damper)… you want both? DVO 38….jmo

Coedwig

Aug 25, 2023
UK
Found the thread late but I am all in on replacing the suspension. I love the fox float x rear shock on my Kenevo. I was very disappointed with the rockshox select rear shock…. I hated the way the bike felt. I put on the float x and it was a different bike. The fork that came on your bike is …. Sorry but it’s crap. Zeb or 38 would be a better choice imo. The zed is poppie and the 38 is plush( grip x or grip2 damper)… you want both? DVO 38….jmo
I’m totally ignorant on rear suspension and have always (falsely?) thought it less important than front for anything other than big hits. Your response suggests this is not the case- would I see improvements in handling on corners etc if I changed the rear shock too?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Cheers Tooks. Do you have the 500wh battery in yours? Do you know if the stock wheels would be compatible with the Lyrik Ultimate and what tyres are you running?

Cheers!
Yes, 500Wh battery in my base alloy.

Stock wheels should be ok, they fit the RS 35 Silvers, and Lyrik Ultimates on mine. Actually, on just checking I’m running the stock Specialized wheels now anyway, I switched briefly to the Nukeproof ones when I tried fitting some Fox 36s, which needed the narrow end caps. Those wheels and fork are now on my Jam2.

Coedwig

Aug 25, 2023
UK
Yes, 500Wh battery in my base alloy.

Stock wheels should be ok, they fit the RS 35 Silvers, and Lyrik Ultimates on mine. Actually, on just checking I’m running the stock Specialized wheels now anyway, I switched briefly to the Nukeproof ones when I tried fitting some Fox 36s, which needed the narrow end caps. Those wheels and fork are now on my Jam2.
Have you ever thought about upgrading the battery? I see they don’t do the 500wh anymore. It’s just so expensive! And not sure how easy it would be to swap mid ride.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Have you ever thought about upgrading the battery? I see they don’t do the 500wh anymore. It’s just so expensive! And not sure how easy it would be to swap mid ride.

I have thought about it, but really the 500 lasts me all the rides I do, if I want distance I’ve got my Jam2 and a couple of range extenders.

I don’t ride the Levo much really, but when I do I love the motor compared to the Jam2 e8000, but to be fair that’s been really good and hasn’t missed a beat. 🤞

Coedwig

Aug 25, 2023
UK
I have thought about it, but really the 500 lasts me all the rides I do, if I want distance I’ve got my Jam2 and a couple of range extenders.

I don’t ride the Levo much really, but when I do I love the motor compared to the Jam2 e8000, but to be fair that’s been really good and hasn’t missed a beat. 🤞
What kind of distances do you get out of the 500wh?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I agree with what others have said. Dust off ya wallet and spend some cash on lighter gear. Wheels make the biggest difference. Or you go mid power. but then you wont be towing ya kids up the hill for long.

With that said. Its not an mtb, It will never feel like a 8kg lighter bike. Spend thousands on upgrades and you might go from 24kg to 22kg for a grand totall of 9% bike weight change.

All you need to do is change the perception in your mind that you need a more nimble bike. Consider the advantages of a less nimble bike. its more stable, stronger likely, you get a better workout throwing it around.

Then when you jump back on the mtb appreciate the nimbleness of that. That's what I do. I've got what of the least nimble e-mtbs in the pole voima. So what, I still send it on everything from tar to double black and enjoy the shit out of it. Its just a matter of perception in the mind.

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
The stock fork on my levo was a rockshox silver thing and I'm pretty sure it was heavier than the fox 38 I replaced it with. So it's definitely worth swapping out.

I have a rockshox lyrik on my commencal and to be honest I find that more plush (and it's lighter) than I do my fox38. So if you can get a nicely priced Lyrik or Fox 36 I think that's a good choice.

I'm not sure the weight of the stock wheelset but it's worth swapping them out for something better. A decent DT Swiss wheelset would be ideal. I have a hope fortus 30 but I think I'd prefer a lighter alternative.

Going into the summer you could maybe get some faster rolling tyres and go tubeless if you haven't already.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles