Mondraker 2022

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Any idea what the non carbon Crafty R weighs? Or the Chaser R? Thanks
The Chaser R has the Rockshox 35 and the 625. Not a fork with a lot of love for it ... The Chaser 29 has a Fox36, but the 750wh battery.

The 2021 Chaser R with the 35 silver was 24.8kg's. So if they have managed to shred some general frame weight then it might be lower than that. The Chaser 29 runs the risk of being around 26kg's if they've not lost weight elsewhere.

If the Crafty RR SS has gained 1.5-2 kg's from 1kg more battery then it's not hugely clear that they've actually lost any weight anywhere ? They're both Fox 36's. Just seems like weight gains all round. You could understand it if they'd switched out the Recon's for proper tyres, but they haven't. (Sorry, if anyone likes them, they're the only tyre I've tried where the sidewalls seem to get slashed so easily).

You can't help but think that the other bikes will be porkers with an extra 1kg of battery if the RR SS has gone up so much. Theoretically some of that 1kg should have been offset against not having to use the really heavy steel Bosch battery catch for example.

Maybe the frames have all been beefed up ? Don't recall hearing of any failures but maybe they cut things too fine ?

It's strange how the 21 bikes showed the weights on the mondraker website:

Screenshot 2021-09-19 16.53.42.png

Screenshot 2021-09-19 16.54.06.png

Screenshot 2021-09-19 16.57.12.png

Screenshot 2021-09-19 16.57.53.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
New Chaser R

Says it has 750Wh battery and Fox 36... ?
Oooh .. that's weird .. when I looked earlier it said 625 and the 35 .. maybe they're updating or I ended up with a cached one .. where as now the picture is different and it shows 750 and the Fox 36. I checked the Spanish one again as that's where I looked earlier and that one also has been updated .. so the Chaser R looks ok spec wise. :) And £5200 for 750wh and a Fox36 is pretty reasonably priced (in the scheme of things).

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Oooh .. that's weird .. when I looked earlier it said 625 and the 35 .. maybe they're updating or I ended up with a cached one .. where as now the picture is different and it shows 750 and the Fox 36. I checked the Spanish one again as that's where I looked earlier and that one also has been updated .. so the Chaser R looks ok spec wise. :) And £5200 for 750wh and a Fox36 is pretty reasonably priced (in the scheme of things).

Yeah I thought the spec looked decent for the price, relatively though as you said.

Still like to know the weight though, guessing about 24kg... ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeah I thought the spec looked decent for the price, relatively though as you said.

Still like to know the weight though, guessing about 24kg... ?
Less than 30 ? :)

I have to say, I always thought my Kenevo was a totally heavy indestructible pig of a bike at 24kg's ... but then bought the Focus Jam2 at 25.5 kg's. Whilst you notice the weight moving them about, you don't notice it on the move - so I guess it's more about how it's packaged and where the weight is ... Though I still wish they were both 20kg's as in my head I think I'd be much faster and more agile if that was the case - but would I ....

I think most of the Ally 21 mondrakers would also have been about 25.5 if they'd had Magic Mary's on or something chunkier on as standard. (though the mondy's have 38's not 36's - so the Focus is made of lead) I guess it's pointless choosing one bike over another because it's lighter, if it's only lighter because it's got inner tubes for tyres which most of us will swap out unless we're riding fire roads - in which case it's not the most sensible bike to buy in the first place.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Less than 30 ? :)

I have to say, I always thought my Kenevo was a totally heavy indestructible pig of a bike at 24kg's ... but then bought the Focus Jam2 at 25.5 kg's. Whilst you notice the weight moving them about, you don't notice it on the move - so I guess it's more about how it's packaged and where the weight is ... Though I still wish they were both 20kg's as in my head I think I'd be much faster and more agile if that was the case - but would I ....

I think most of the Ally 21 mondrakers would also have been about 25.5 if they'd had Magic Mary's on or something chunkier on as standard. (though the mondy's have 38's not 36's - so the Focus is made of lead) I guess it's pointless choosing one bike over another because it's lighter, if it's only lighter because it's got inner tubes for tyres which most of us will swap out unless we're riding fire roads - in which case it's not the most sensible bike to buy in the first place.

Yeah I'd be surprised if it was under 24kg with the 750Wh battery, there aren't many aluminium Bosch bikes (if any) below that with the 625wh battery...

I like the idea of a lighter bike, not because of speed, I'm not anywhere near good enough for that to make any difference ? It's just the general lugging it around etc.

I think it's either something like the Orbea Rise or Lapierre E-zesty that would really make a difference.

I was really hoping Focus were going to make more Shimano bikes with smaller internal battery, therefore a bit lighter but unfortunately that's not going to happen.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeah I'd be surprised if it was under 24kg with the 750Wh battery, there aren't many aluminium Bosch bikes (if any) below that with the 625wh battery...

I like the idea of a lighter bike, not because of speed, I'm not anywhere near good enough for that to make any difference ? It's just the general lugging it around etc.

I think it's either something like the Orbea Rise or Lapierre E-zesty that would really make a difference.

I was really hoping Focus were going to make more Shimano bikes with smaller internal battery, therefore a bit lighter but unfortunately that's not going to happen.
Something like a lapierre GLP2 ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It certainly looks different...
Sorry to de-rail the mondy thread ... :)

It does .. been tempted by one on and off .. seems a very capable bike. low weight and good weight placement. One of the versions comes with the 500wh battery and an spare 300wh and back pack - though the downside there is that you then have to carry the 500 in the back pack if you want a long ride if you've swapped to the 300, and in that situation, you'd probably be better with 2*500w .. Where as the 300 would be good maybe for short (30km's or less) rides I guess. But you're in KSL or Rise territory weight wise with the 300 but still with full power for short rides..

But ..... if you're in for 800wh rides .... then does a 750wh mondy actually make more sense as whilst it's heavier, you're not clugging a pack with 3ish kilo's around - so then the overall + person weight is similar even though the actual mondy bike weight is higher. There is no right or wrong as it will be different for everyone. But this is the Mondy thread so we have to say something Mondy positive ! :)

Josepma

Oct 13, 2020
Barcelona
Yep. I was only talking about the carbon crafty rr sl model. I believe the 500w rr sl was 19.7 kg, 625w was 20.2 kg. The new 2022 carbon crafty rr sl with 750w battery is 22.08kg. The new model is now at the same weight as a gen2 sworks levo. I would still consider it lightweight, but not super lightweight like last years model.

I wish more ebike companies would start offering bikes with smaller main batteries that accept water bottle batteries. I levo the setup on my levo sl. 320w main battery and I can decide wether or not I want to connect the 160w range extender. I wish more full powered ebikes were setup this way.

It is a mystery that the Crafty RR SL that weighed 20 kilos with a 625 wh battery now weighs 22 kilos but the difference in weight of the new battery is 900 grams ... I guess the bike is pregnant inside with a little ebike

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Sorry to de-rail the mondy thread ... :)

It does .. been tempted by one on and off .. seems a very capable bike. low weight and good weight placement. One of the versions comes with the 500wh battery and an spare 300wh and back pack - though the downside there is that you then have to carry the 500 in the back pack if you want a long ride if you've swapped to the 300, and in that situation, you'd probably be better with 2*500w .. Where as the 300 would be good maybe for short (30km's or less) rides I guess. But you're in KSL or Rise territory weight wise with the 300 but still with full power for short rides..

But ..... if you're in for 800wh rides .... then does a 750wh mondy actually make more sense as whilst it's heavier, you're not clugging a pack with 3ish kilo's around - so then the overall + person weight is similar even though the actual mondy bike weight is higher. There is no right or wrong as it will be different for everyone. But this is the Mondy thread so we have to say something Mondy positive ! :)

Yes you're right, I was against a heavier bike than my Focus but not having to carry a spare battery is tempting. Still want to know how much it weighs though ?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
It is a mystery that the Crafty RR SL that weighed 20 kilos with a 625 wh battery now weighs 22 kilos but the difference in weight of the new battery is 900 grams ... I guess the bike is pregnant inside with a little ebike
Maybe the new display and controller weigh 1.1kg:)

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
It's annoying that mondraker are being coy about publishing the weights, especially when they state they have lightened the frames..
What's the point of even mentioning it, if your not going to expand?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I can't understand why some manufacturers don't say what a certain model weighs, they only have to put a disclaimer saying, approximate weight, size medium without pedals etc...

I think it was on the Orbea site that they say, we recommend you going to a bike shop to try our bikes for size etc, yeah very helpful in the current climate ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I can't understand why some manufacturers don't say what a certain model weighs, they only have to put a disclaimer saying, approximate weight, size medium without pedals etc...

I think it was on the Orbea site that they say, we recommend you going to a bike shop to try our bikes for size etc, yeah very helpful in the current climate ?
As crazy as it sounds they may not actually have a totally assembled unit just yet with the actual bike with the parts on it that the customer may end up with, so no accurate way of weighing it.

They'll no doubt have the frames etc and motor / batteries for their testing, but a fully assembled OEM bike with the exact spec may not yet exist. Parts are super tight still.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Giant have done the same with the latest releases .. some total waffle about the bike weight isn't important, go and try one ... Just makes you think uhmmmmmm 50000000 kg's !

You just know @BAMBAMODA's going to have it on a t-shirt when he's older .. "Yes, I've got fatter each year, but you can still take me for a test ride".

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
They'll no doubt have the frames etc and motor / batteries for their testing, but a fully assembled OEM bike with the exact spec may not yet exist. Parts are super tight still.
It would be nice to think that .. But if they can make a claim for the 2022 SL RR weight by e-mail - they could post that on the website.

Also, most of the spec is the same, I can't believe they don't have enough bits around to assemble a bike ? Hell, you have enough bits around to assemble the same bike. Plus, in this day and age, wouldn't every component weight be on your design software, so you'd know exactly how much it weighs before you even make it ?

The weird thing is that they're sticking a 900g heavier battery in, dumping all the lock mechanism, claiming to have made the frame lighter, sticking the same components on and then saying it's 2kg's heavier ?!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
But if they can make a claim for the 2022 SL RR weight by e-mail - they could post that on the website.
Where is the source? Dealer guesstimate?

Also, most of the spec is the same, I can't believe they don't have enough bits around to assemble a bike ? Hell, you have enough bits around to assemble the same bike. Plus, in this day and age, wouldn't every component weight be on your design software, so you'd know exactly how much it weighs before you even make it ?

Manufacturers Quoted weight and actual weights are often wildly different... I weighed a Super Trail Magic Mary and its almost 200g heavier than they quote. Stick 2 of them on and you're 400g over already, just with tyres...

I agree the weights should be availible, especially for brands that are in the light(er) weight ebike game, but I'm trying to work out logical reasons why we don't yet have them.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
As crazy as it sounds they may not actually have a totally assembled unit just yet with the actual bike with the parts on it that the customer may end up with, so no accurate way of weighing it.

Maybe that could be the case for the new Mondraker bikes but what's Orbea's excuse? Marketing bollocks.
Screenshot_20210922_182941_com.android.chrome.jpg

Jph

Sep 23, 2021
East Sussex
I'm really liking the looks of the 2022 Mondraker's that come equipped with the new/updated Bosch system, can anyone recommend a decent dealer in the south / south east that supports Mondraker please? Potentially looking for a Level R or a Crafty R in XL.

ps. the 2022 range appear to have the weights listed now, not sure if it took a while to fully update the website for all regions / languages?

Thanks,
Jph

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Nice Job Jph, or Rob for sending the parts over so they could assemble some bikes :

Crafty R 25.1 kg
Crafty RR 24.9 kg
Crafty XR 24.9 kg
Crafty Carbon R 23.7 kg
Crafty Carbon RR 23.3 kg
Crafty Carbon RR SL 21.1 kg

Chaser R 24.6 kg
Chaser 29 24.8 kg

Thanks Mondraker ! :)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Nice Job Jph, or Rob for sending the parts over so they could assemble some bikes :

Crafty R 25.1 kg
Crafty RR 24.9 kg
Crafty XR 24.9 kg
Crafty Carbon R 23.7 kg
Crafty Carbon RR 23.3 kg
Crafty Carbon RR SL 21.1 kg

Chaser R 24.6 kg
Chaser 29 24.8 kg

Thanks Mondraker ! :)

Well that's made my decision easier...

Josepma

Oct 13, 2020
Barcelona
[QUOTE = "Zimmerframe, publicación: 337573, miembro: 4350"]
Buen trabajo Jph, o Rob por enviar las piezas para que pudieran ensamblar algunas bicicletas:

Astuto R 25,1 kg
Astuto RR 24,9 kg
Crafty XR 24,9 kg
Crafty Carbon R 23,7 kg
Crafty Carbon RR 23,3 kg
Crafty Carbon RR SL 21,1 kg

Cazador R 24,6 kg
Cazador 29 24,8 kg

¡Gracias Mondraker! :)
[/CITA]

+ CRAFTY CARBON XR 23,1 KG.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Looking at the sizing, they look like they might run a bit big? My medium Focus has a reach of 435mm, medium on these is 470mm... Obviously there's more to it than just reach.
Mondraker "forward geometry" is significantly different than everyone else. You can't compare reach numbers to other brands, it won't make sense. They run a 30mm stem for a reason (they actually wanted to run shorter but found "the market" rejected it).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles