Maximum weight

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Cube 2021 stereo hybrid has max weight 135kg so I am not sure what Focus is doing... I have over 100kg and that was main reason I didn't bought it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Cube 2021 stereo hybrid has max weight 135kg so I am not sure what Focus is doing... I have over 100kg and that was main reason I didn't bought it.
Focus were aiming for a lighter emtb; they even went for a small in-frame battery of 378Whr. Mine weighs 20.4kg. Lightness comes at a cost, in this case the load bearing capacity. I just looked at a random Cube 2021 stereo hybrid via Google and it weighs 4kg more.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So Americans keep 1 more rock(stone) in their pocket? Come on man. We have drones on Mars. We can stop measuring things in stones!
Hah! :ROFLMAO:
I am fluent in Imperial, metric and SI and I live in the UK where weight is still measured in stones and pounds (and tons, cwt, ounces and more). I aim to give both weights and lengths in Imperial and metric, but sometimes I forget. Not everyone on the planet uses the metric system, or the infinitely superior SI system.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Focus were aiming for a lighter emtb; they even went for a small in-frame battery of 378Whr. Mine weighs 20.4kg. Lightness comes at a cost, in this case the load bearing capacity. I just looked at a random Cube 2021 stereo hybrid via Google and it weighs 4kg more.
FOCUS JAM² 6.9 NINE has over 25 kg Perm. total weight 120 kg
Max. payload (rider/equipment) 94 kg
I am comparing same type of a bikes . I didn't check which model you have. Max weight is 120, whatever the model. I am asking again, why Focus oh why..

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
I still don't understand the point you are trying to make. What else can "max permissible total weight" mean? The bike makers have to use total weight (bike, rider, kit), due to the massive range of rider weights. Especially when even the lightest rider is likely to be at least twice as heavy as the bike alone. In my riding kit, I'm 4.5 times heavier than my bike. So rider weight (inc kit) is a key design criterion to the bike designer.
But my car is quite happy with just me in it OR me plus 4 passengers, a boot full of luggage and a tow bar rack with two bikes. My weight is a triviality to the car designer.
That's not really the case. All cars have a GVM Gross Vehicle Mass rating. Which is the max weight that includes fuel, payload, and vehicle weight.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
And the answer wasn't made clear then either. There's contradicting advice given and nothing is clear, even the labelling on the bike from the CE sticker.
The website says bike and rider plus gear and all the sticker on the frame actually says is " max permissible weight ".

So which one is right ? The website or the actual warnings given on their bikes ?

View attachment 65479
The frame says max permissible "TOTAL" weight. What is it about "Total" people don't understand.

Ruby Rabbit

Dec 16, 2020
Australia
For my use case, I purchased the Focus Thron2 6.9 in XL. I weigh 103kg, and I've been over many jumps, including an accident of an 18ft drop off a ledge that gave way, held on for dear life, bottomed out the suspension, but no issue with the bike wheels, frame, or suspension damage still all tip top. Its a tank! I've had the bike for 5 months and done around 1400km's - all without issue. Before I purchased had the same worry of weight, but LBS and Focus distributor said it was rider/carrying weight no more than 120kg.

MrNice

Jun 25, 2021
Wales
For my use case, I purchased the Focus Thron2 6.9 in XL. I weigh 103kg, and I've been over many jumps, including an accident of an 18ft drop off a ledge that gave way, held on for dear life, bottomed out the suspension, but no issue with the bike wheels, frame, or suspension damage still all tip top. Its a tank! I've had the bike for 5 months and done around 1400km's - all without issue. Before I purchased had the same worry of weight, but LBS and Focus distributor said it was rider/carrying weight no more than 120kg.

This is where the confusion lays, because the shop i bought it from first of all said it was definitely the rider weight and gear. Then they spoke to a focus rep who said that it was infact the bike aswell. Not everybody is singing from the same hymn sheet as far as accurate knowledge is concerned.
Its plain to see that the sticker on the bike is as clear as mud because in my eyes if Joe blogs walked in off the street and had a look at the sticker he would think that the maximum weight a rider can be is 120kg.
What we actually need are realistic figures so we simply know if we are going to die if we land awkward or crash ?

Ruby Rabbit

Dec 16, 2020
Australia
Yep, agreed! Clear communication is key! I can only share my experience, and it indicates that 120kg is ok for a 103kg rider. Making the total weight (inc 23.5kg bike weight) 126.5kg for the the spec of the Focus bike I have.

Dec 18, 2019
UK
If you're still unsure, do as I did and contact Focus directly. I was interested in the Sam2 becuase the geometry really suits a tall rider in the biggest size. I asked them if the weight limit of 120kg was due to a component not being up to a higher weight standard or if the frame itself wasn't strong enough. Had it been the former, I could swap out the weakest link and buy their bike.
They were very quick with their response and said that it was the frame which was the limiting factor, hence i've ordered a Bullit. My guess is that Focus have built their frames to the current testing standards and haven't gone to the expense of adopting a newer standard to get the weight limit higher. The frame may well be suited to a heavier rider, but i'll stick with one that guarantees 136kg rider and gear, plus the bike weight on top of that. At 107kg, That puts me well inside that limit, so I have a good safety margin.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles