Magura MT7 Pro - Recent Install - Issue

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I posted this in the wrong thread in all likelihood.
Can anyone help me with this conundrum with my recently installed brakes? Is undoubtedly my ignorance.

I recently had my brakes upgraded to MT7 Pro.

Brakes are spongy so was about to follow folks' bleeding instructions tips and then found this .

The lever 'lifting away from the body / stop' and a thin piece of cable showing which isnt apparent on other side. I love fixing stuff and would rather do that than refer to my LBS however I am mechanically challenged. Can anyone see what is wrong before I dismantle everything and try and fix myself o_O

Pictures are below.
First is RH Brake at rest
Second is RH brake lifted away from 'Stop" that I cant do with LH brake.

Thanks for any help

tempImageXO9Nfj.png

tempImagemVDSuL.png

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I may be wrong but it looks like the cable is the retaining/spring clip from behind the lever. If you have a flat headed punch, pop the lever off using the instructions in the 'how to swap the levers' video on Maguras website and it may just be a case of refitting. I know when I fitted the 1-finger levers to mine, the Magura video went on about making sure the clip was seated properly otherwise it could slip and cause issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: EME

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I may be wrong but it looks like the cable is the retaining/spring clip from behind the lever. If you have a flat headed punch, pop the lever off using the instructions in the 'how to swap the levers' video on Maguras website and it may just be a case of refitting. I know when I fitted the 1-finger levers to mine, the Magura video went on about making sure the clip was seated properly otherwise it could slip and cause issues.
Thanks, I shall look at the video tonight and then have a crack at it ..

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Interesting. Only yesterday I thought my MT7’s felt a bit spongy. I have them adjusted all the way out away from the bars and I can still pull them back to the grips. They stop fine. I have MT5’s on another unit and they are solid as a rock.

Aug 27, 2020
Middlesbrough
Regarding the lever that you can ‘push away’, this can’t be fixed without replacing lever. Each lever comes with a small metal tab that prevents this movement and apparently is designed to break in the event of a crash in order to save the lever. Problem is, it’s too flimsy and often breaks inadvertently. Once it’s gone, then it’s gone.

I had MT7s fitted about 6 weeks and whilst they offer great stopping power and modulation, I’ve been less than impressed with the quality control of the levers; I’m now on my third replacement for the rear lever and even that’s not perfect but I really can’t be arsed anymore.

Here’s my story:

Brakes supplied and fitted by a professional bike mechanic.

Took bike out round the block to bed pads in and rear lever gradually pulled further and further towards the bar. Front / right lever was perfect. Thought it was a bleed issue so took it back to the shop and turns out the lever master cylinder was leaking. When it was removed from the bars there was a load of oil underneath. This rearlever also had the ‘stop’ missing so could be pushed away from bars like you describe.

Waited 10 days for a replacement under warranty and fitted again by shop. Upon collection of bike I noticed the lever adjust on new lever wouldn’t work. Upon inspection it looks like the spring has been fitted incorrectly and was binding on the adjust screw preventing it from working. This lever also had the ‘stop’ missing, although the mechanic said it actually came off this time during the bleed process when he was flicking the lever. He showed me the little tab that came off and it’s so small and fragile. Although the missing stop didn’t bother me, I wanted a lever which I could adjust so started the warranty replacement cycle again.

Almost two weeks later got my third lever. This one has fully functioning lever adjust and the ‘stop’ still intact, however it just doesn’t move as freely as the other lever. Upon inspection it looks to be a little excess material causing a bit of binding. I honestly can’t be arsed going through warranty process again and just hope the excess wears over time.

In summary: great brakes, shit quality control.

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Regarding the lever that you can ‘push away’, this can’t be fixed without replacing lever. Each lever comes with a small metal tab that prevents this movement and apparently is designed to break in the event of a crash in order to save the lever. Problem is, it’s too flimsy and often breaks inadvertently. Once it’s gone, then it’s gone.

I had MT7s fitted about 6 weeks and whilst they offer great stopping power and modulation, I’ve been less than impressed with the quality control of the levers; I’m now on my third replacement for the rear lever and even that’s not perfect but I really can’t be arsed anymore.

Here’s my story:

Brakes supplied and fitted by a professional bike mechanic.

Took bike out round the block to bed pads in and rear lever gradually pulled further and further towards the bar. Front / right lever was perfect. Thought it was a bleed issue so took it back to the shop and turns out the lever master cylinder was leaking. When it was removed from the bars there was a load of oil underneath. This rearlever also had the ‘stop’ missing so could be pushed away from bars like you describe.

Waited 10 days for a replacement under warranty and fitted again by shop. Upon collection of bike I noticed the lever adjust on new lever wouldn’t work. Upon inspection it looks like the spring has been fitted incorrectly and was binding on the adjust screw preventing it from working. This lever also had the ‘stop’ missing, although the mechanic said it actually came off this time during the bleed process when he was flicking the lever. He showed me the little tab that came off and it’s so small and fragile. Although the missing stop didn’t bother me, I wanted a lever which I could adjust so started the warranty replacement cycle again.

Almost two weeks later got my third lever. This one has fully functioning lever adjust and the ‘stop’ still intact, however it just doesn’t move as freely as the other lever. Upon inspection it looks to be a little excess material causing a bit of binding. I honestly can’t be arsed going through warranty process again and just hope the excess wears over time.

In summary: great brakes, shit quality control.
Thanks .. sounds like same story and I haven't been able to check yet so Ill take back to LBS. I crash ( reasonably lightly, touch wood ) all the time so could easily be that. Very disappointed if that is all they are capable of taking .. that's garbage territory.

Is it OK to ride until I can get to LBS ?

Aug 27, 2020
Middlesbrough
Thanks .. sounds like same story and I haven't been able to check yet so Ill take back to LBS. I crash ( reasonably lightly, touch wood ) all the time so could easily be that. Very disappointed if that is all they are capable of taking .. that's garbage territory.

Is it OK to ride until I can get to LBS ?
If it’s just the stop tab that’s broken off then yes, you could ride forever more with them. The lever will just have the ability to be pushed away from bars. All depends on how OCD you are. You could always break the other one off by pushing the lever forward if you want them the same ?

• Helpful
Reactions: EME

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
If it’s just the stop tab that’s broken off then yes, you could ride forever more with them. The lever will just have the ability to be pushed away from bars. All depends on how OCD you are. You could always break the other one off by pushing the lever forward if you want them the same ?
OCD about being OCD !
Also need to go out today for an hour .. !

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Aarggghhhh .. yes I don't have that, just checked. Going for a ride then !

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
And what does this do exactly? I’ve these brakes, there great but they don’t seem to engage for first 50% then that last 50% is everything, that’s a Lee’s issue?
The little stopper ( arrowed) prevents the lever moving away from the piston as in picture in first post.

Aug 27, 2020
Middlesbrough
And what does this do exactly? I’ve these brakes, there great but they don’t seem to engage for first 50% then that last 50% is everything, that’s a Lee’s issue?
Sounds like a bleed issue and some air in the system, they are quite tricky to do.

Once mine were properly setup they have a good solid feel, good modulation and amazing stopping power. Total lever throw is about 50%, if yours are pulling much further towards the bars then maybe do another bleed and make sure you rotate the lever up and down as you cycle the fluid in order to remove the pocket of air that sometimes gets caught in the master cylinder.

Aug 27, 2020
Middlesbrough
Seems I don’t have those, I did wonder why my levers moved away like they do lol
You probably did have them at one point, they just broke away without you knowing it. Might even have been before you left the shop. Like I said in previous post, the mechanic said one broke off when he was fitting and bleeding. Super fragile.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Does anyone know why my brakes sound like there drowning in something when they start to bite, bit odd?
Either alignment or contamination, first check alignment then if that doesnt fix it check the pads for contamination. If both are fine then maybe it could need a bleed but thats unlikely as the noise would come on high pressure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles