Magura MDR-P rotors

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hi everyone ! I'm looking closely at the Magura MDR-P 220mm rotors. I have Hope E4 brakes, but the Magura rotors are a bit cheaper and easier to get hold of at present (I'm in NZ). One concern I have come across in reading reviews is that play can develop in the outer ring , as in this video
A few people have had this happen, has anyone on here experienced anything like that with these rotors? Seems like quite a clever design otherwise

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
Not used them, like you I'd considered some as they seem easy to get in 220mm flavour but after watching that I think I'll look elsewhere. That can't be good surely? Even allowing for thermal expansion, that seems like a hefty gap.

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
Yeah.. Not for me.
I'm using shimano 4pots otherwise I'd opt for some trp 2.3mm wide rotors. Think I'll wait for shimano's 220mm offerings to become more widely available.
In your situation I'd be looking at the standard steel hope rotors in 220mm.(that is, like you say.. If you can get them)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Well I should think it would move when you brake wouldn't it? Not very confidence-inspiring
I don't know - I imagine (well, it would make sense) that lateral movement is very minimal because width expansion would be negligible, so just enough lateral clearance for movement. Those jigsaw type slots show space for forward and back movement, but we don't know what the bolts are doing. There may be no movement forward or back, although back movement is the only one that matters for braking. Going by that video it looks as though the movement is limited to up and down - but I don't know that. My questions would be 1. any movement of the rotor backwards? 2. any significant lateral movement of the rotor? I'm not an engineer, but I'd expect it would be just up and down, if my theory is correct.

OK, just looked at the 2nd video - the dude shows that the rivet or some rivets have come loose; so more lateral movement than intended.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
My questions would be 1. any movement of the rotor backwards? 2. any significant lateral movement of the rotor? I'm not an engineer, but I'd expect it would be just up and down, if my theory is correct.
The 2nd video definitely shows what I would call significant lateral movement, he's wiggling it side to side quite a bit of movement there. The design is supposed to allow for heat expansion it's not supposed to actually move. As I said a lot of people have no issues and love these rotors but some have also had this issue...no way of knowing how many, but it does make me think twice about buying these, even though they look sick and I appreciate the theory behind the design

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
The 2nd video definitely shows what I would call significant lateral movement, he's wiggling it side to side quite a bit of movement there. The design is supposed to allow for heat expansion it's not supposed to actually move. As I said a lot of people have no issues and love these rotors but some have also had this issue...no way of knowing how many, but it does make me think twice about buying these, even though they look sick and I appreciate the theory behind the design
Yes, you're right; I wouldn't buy them. I imagine that they will make a change in materials used or the design. I too like the theory of the design.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Hi everyone ! I'm looking closely at the Magura MDR-P 220mm rotors. I have Hope E4 brakes, but the Magura rotors are a bit cheaper and easier to get hold of at present (I'm in NZ). One concern I have come across in reading reviews is that play can develop in the outer ring , as in this video
A few people have had this happen, has anyone on here experienced anything like that with these rotors? Seems like quite a clever design otherwise
I've had that with an Hope rotor

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have the 220 front 203 rear on my Rise, I have the gaps like above but not checked to see if any sideways movement, had them on the E-Sommet before!

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I've had that with an Hope rotor
Have you? I guess with the semi-floating riveted designs there will always be the odd one that develops play...I am sure the vast majority of riders have no issue with their Hopes or Maguras...I guess it comes down to how well a company stands by the warranty if any issue arises

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Have you? I guess with the semi-floating riveted designs there will always be the odd one that develops play...I am sure the vast majority of riders have no issue with their Hopes or Maguras...I guess it comes down to how well a company stands by the warranty if any issue arises
I have a few Hope rotors and it's the only one to develop any movement

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
They appear to be fully floating discs and are identical to motorbike fully floating discs in terms of design and resultant movement between the carrier and the rotor. So long as there is no significant axial movement between the carrier and the rotor then there's no issue.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
'floating' discs are made to allow expansion of the friction area due to heat without causing the 'cold' centre (or 'bell') part to 'pull' it distorted. If held tight they can become 'wavy' causing pad knock-back. They are absolutely standard fit on racing cars, bikes and aircraft, but their benefit on a pedal bike is less pronounced because they don't run nearly as hot and the centre part is usually very flimsy with curved or angled radial spokes to reduce distortion.

Cris

Dec 1, 2018
Beds
I use these rotors and I swear by them, mine have had a small amount of play develop but only when they’re close to needing replacement, it never affects the function and doesn’t bother me, as I’ve had more play on new motorcycle discs that are stopping twice the weight from 10 x the speed

Nvigr8

Nov 4, 2020
KERRVILLE, TX
These came on my 2020 Cannondale Habit Neo along Maura brakes. I used them for several months. 220 fr 200 r. These were my impressions in no particular order.

1. Excellent stopping power.
2. Look really cool.
3. Fairly quiet.
4. There is rotational play but that's built-in and doesn't negatively affect performance.
5. There is a very small amount of lateral play which also doesn't affect performance.
6. Built in hole for the sensor magnet is neat.

I did stop using them mainly because that rotational play is annoying to me. Upon stopping, it feels like something in the fork or headset has too much play in it and that just bothered me. I like a more solid feel. Plus I don't do a lot of riding that would produce enough heat for the design to be useful. Replaced with Sram rotors then brakes. In fact I'll sell them if anyone is interested.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
I have a hope 225mm which is quite worn now so have replaced with another hope but 220mm this time. When new they are quite but do rattle once they have been through several heat cycles. The rattle is when brakes not applied, touch the lever just a little and noise goes away. I think all floating rotors make noise after same use.
I have a system weight of 135kg+ brakes get worked pretty hard but not had either of the hopes go blue. I'm keen to try the MRD-P see how they go.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I had these and they developed significant movement. The noise was really irritating. I wouldn't buy again. In the end I got some Galfer rotors which work as you'd expect.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Still no issues with my 203's when dry, but they did get extremely noisy in the wet a couple of weeks ago with significant loss in stopping power.
They still feel solid though with no movement.
I've rescuffed them with some wet and dry and cleaned everythng with isopropyl and just hope they work better next time its wet :unsure:

Last edited:

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
I had these and they developed significant movement. The noise was really irritating. I wouldn't buy again. In the end I got some Galfer rotors which work as you'd expect.

Lol...I all but pulled the trigger on the Galfer rotors 2 days ago, read a few had warping problems and one mag review had a squealing noise after a few months of use.
You have the Galfer Wave 2.0mm one?
They are a well priced rotor

20211113_101444.jpg

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
Very irritating? :) I need to replace my rear 203mm Galfer Rotor with 2mm in 3500km now is 1.5mm thickness.

I do not want same Galfer. If Magura is not a good option, Wich Would I buy? If is Centerlock better because my Wild use CL.

Trickstuff? Maybe TRP 2.3mm fit in my Saint Brakes?

Thanks.

PD: I don`t want Ice Tech.

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
Very irritating? :) I need to replace my rear 203mm Galfer Rotor with 2mm in 3500km now is 1.5mm thickness.

I do not want same Galfer. If Magura is not a good option, Wich Would I buy? If is Centerlock better because my Wild use CL.

Trickstuff? Maybe TRP 2.3mm fit in my Saint Brakes?

Thanks.

PD: I don`t want Ice Tech.

Same issue for me, I bought a pair of the Magura MDR-P rotors and initially, I thought they were great. So I bought two more sets for my other bikes. After only a few miles, they are started to rattle like hell. Drove me crazy so I replaced them all with TRP R1 2.3mm 1 piece rotors. While I don't have a ton of mileage on them yet, they are silent and most importantly have stayed completely true (straight). The TRP R1 2.3mm fit my Saints on my DH bike and my Kenevo, also fit XTR on my Kenevo SL. But I like the bite point to be as close as possible.

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
Same issue for me, I bought a pair of the Magura MDR-P rotors and initially, I thought they were great. So I bought two more sets for my other bikes. After only a few miles, they are started to rattle like hell. Drove me crazy so I replaced them all with TRP R1 2.3mm 1 piece rotors. While I don't have a ton of mileage on them yet, they are silent and most importantly have stayed completely true (straight). The TRP R1 2.3mm fit my Saints on my DH bike and my Kenevo, also fit XTR on my Kenevo SL. But I like the bite point to be as close as possible.
Thanks, I think I will go for the Magura MDR C CL wich is 2mm .

2.3mm TRP is too much expensive for only one year of use in my case.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I've just started seeing the same from my MDR-P's (220/200) unforutunately. Braking performance hasn't been impacted but the two parts now have play between them and rattle. Plus if you hold the brake on you can get the rotors to move independently which isn't great.

There's plenty of life left in them so not urgent but I'll be looking at an alternative brand for rotors. Maybe TRP/Galfer.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I checked mine yesterday. Both 220mm, 5 months old. The back disk is solid, no play. The front one clacks around with noticeable play in the mounts as per the videos.
I haven't noticed it whilst braking yet but it's not ideal.

Aug 25, 2022
NorCal
I wonder if they could be tightened with some sort of rivet tool. I'll have to look more closely at mine, but so far they are all still tight. Are there aircraft mechanics or sheet metal fabricators out there who know if there's a way to tighten the existing rivets (or replace them with new ones)?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles