Magura floating 220mm rotors rear problem!

jono878

Sep 17, 2022
bath
I seem to have a problem with the rear rotor only. The front one is fine but have gone through 2 rear rotors in the same time? The rear seems to get fair amount side to side play but the front does not?

What are people running rotors wise with maruga mt5 brakes ?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi
There a semi floating Rotor a bit of play doesn't hurt mine are on there 4th set of pads and still going strong
Is there any other reason your changing them ?

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I seem to have a problem with the rear rotor only. The front one is fine but have gone through 2 rear rotors in the same time? The rear seems to get fair amount side to side play but the front does not?

What are people running rotors wise with maruga mt5 brakes ?
This could be flex in the rear hub/ axle
I would have a go at torquing it up
Worth a try
I've gone 5nm over spec

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I had 220mm Magura front and rear. I found that the rear tire would drag or skid too much. I went with the 200 Magura on the rear which improved the modulation feel for me rear lever.

Your overall weight might matter though.

A slight tilt or poor alignment of the calliper may cause excessive wear also.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I had 220mm Magura front and rear. I found that the rear tire would drag or skid too much. I went with the 200 Magura on the rear which improved the modulation feel for me rear lever.

Your overall weight might matter though.

A slight tilt or poor alignment of the calliper may cause excessive wear also.
I went for that Combo from the outset
You've got to be giving it some serious shit to really need the 220 on the rear I think

ReadyShreddy

Nov 17, 2023
UK
I brought the mt5 kit that came with the standard rotors, the rear didn't feel right so I upgraded the rear to 200mm floating rota. I'm happy with it good modulation and grip when needed, no issues with premature wear.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
On some brake calliper systems they use a series of convex washers and or spacers to achieve the correct rotor size. Don’t do that with Magura callipers.

There is a flat and ridged spacer available for your type of bike or suspension. Use the Magura chart or have your LBS help for the correct size. I don’t remember the part number but different manufacturers may have those also.

Ps; If your post mounts are not completely flat or poorly aligned, you may need to shave or cut down the flat surface where the calliper mounts. Your LBS may have that tool.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles