Losing fitness on the e-mtb, my thoughts fwiw.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I know people have said they have gone back to a clockwork bike and they then struggle. But losing power and losing fitness is two different things.
Fitness for me is resting heart rate, recovery heart rate, blood pressure, body weight and general feel good of being fit.
This is different than specific muscle power.
For example, I can guarantee that the ‘fittest’ bike rider who goes for a long run for the first time would struggle and muscles would ache and they would feel weaker. Because it’s a different muscle group usage and load.
So with an e-bike, of course you don’t use as much power per stoke (duuuh). Is that not why we bought one? But we can go further, faster and climb more and spend more time before we feel knackered!
It doesn’t mean that because we do 2 hours at a lower heart rate using less muscle power that it doesn’t do your health (fitness) as good as somebody doing an hour on an analogue bike with muscles aching! So in a nutshell —— I am still fit, but of course my leg muscles are more used to a long slower burn now and the muscles aren’t used to the shorter power bursts.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Remember .. you can always turn the power off at anytime within your ride whenever you like to have a "muscle workout" the equivalent of riding the cheapest heaviest analogue bike you can find ! :)

Much more effective than these lazy namby pamby lightweight carbon analogue bikers.

Last edited:

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
For myself, my fitness and power have increased since owning the Decoy. I can ride more now, I ride more hours per ride. Yes, my highest heart rate during rides is lowered a bit (because I choose, not because I cannot do it on an e-bike..). When going clockwork on my Jeffsy now, I actually feel stronger.

Loosing power (if that is really what is happening to some riders) is more about how you bike/train. If you use the e-bike the to ride the same amount of time and same trail, then yes, e-bike will make you spend less energy.....you just need to ride more then and/or lower the assistance.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
It is kind of funny. My 40 something km loop at Rotovegas takes me about 4:18 - 4:30 on the analogue bike and I do it a little over 3 hrs on the eMTB. On the ebike I am pretty much working the whole time - pushing myself hard and having a lot of fun on trails that I used to cruise down because I was so borked from climbing to them. Yes my legs feel a little better after an ebike ride but the next day my arms and shoulders are feeling the burn.
That loop I do in Eco for the most part with Trail for maybe 2-3km and Tubo for a few hundred metres. That I am assisted on my climbs lets me enjoy the other trails much more - which leads to my doing the loop 2-3 times a month instead of the once a month I used to do it. Add in that I do my other 26km loop at Cougar Park 3-4 times a month and actually stretch it out to 30-36km and I am easily maintaining fitness.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I used to have big legs and small arms. But after riding the ebike full time, I now have small legs and big arms?
. My heart, ♥️ yeah,. That’s still farked ?‍♂️
Actually my heart is worse, as I’m doing more downs and working harder whilst descending ?‍♂️

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Remember .. you can always turn the power off at anytime within your ride whenever you like to have a "muscle workout" the equivalent of riding the cheapest heaviest analogue bike you can find ! :)

Much more effective than these lazy namby pamby lightweight carbon analogue bikers.

Last night I turned the eco power down. I had the same heart rate as before but just made the ride slower! So I stuck it back on to the normal eco power and pedalled faster!

If I need a work out I will move my Kawasaki H2 SX around the garage!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Because it’s a different muscle group usage and load.
Eh? Why mention running or muscle groups at all when Emtb and mtb don't use different muscle groups. They use exactly the same muscle groups.

But we can go further, faster and climb more and spend more time before we feel knackered!
How do you manage to go further than a regular bike when plenty riders think nothing of riding hilly 100 mile+ routes or shorter hillier routes with 10000ft+ of climbing on their regular bikes. Do you carry multiple batteries? (like 3+) or ride the ebike switched off for a lot oif these huge rides you're doing?
As for going faster. Yes uphill and on the flat and in soft/slow terrain definitely you can but descending won't be any quicker and unless derestricted riding on the flat on smoother surfaces won't be. Sprinting is also slower on an Emtb than a nice lightweight mtb and I can guarantee you if sprinting is important to you and you spend an entire year riding on an Emtb your sprint will be weak compared to if you'd spent that year on a regular bike.

I am still fit, but of course my leg muscles are more used to a long slower burn now and the muscles aren’t used to the shorter power bursts.
What sort of mileage and hours per ride are you talking about when you say "long"? and how often do you do them?
seems like you're talking about endurance fitness. and IMO proper endurance rides aren't even possible on an emtb without multiple batteries.
ie.

If your Ebike keeps you in good health, decent shape at a reasonable fitness level that's cool with me but it baffles me when an Emtb rider feels the need to claim their fitness improvements are greater than that of regular exercise on a regular bike when they're clearly doing way LESS work than they would if they just rode a regular bike.

Just to add. If health issues mean you genuinely wouldn't be riding without e bikes then that's even cooler.

Last edited:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Despite what the resident expert says, I don't think anyone is talking about super fit riders who can do over 100 miles etc, just the average recreational rider who goes out once or twice a week.

I don't have any health issues but still wouldn't be riding if it weren't for having the assistance.

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
I'm most definitely fitter for having an e bike. I wouldn't be going out at all on a standard mountain bike.:)

Al

Ditto. Though maybe not quite “wouldn't be going out at all”, but definitely a lot less. For example I was working at home one day last week and went out on the ebike for an 18 mile, 1400 foot ride from my house to the trail, a couple of peaks and valleys, and back to the house in an hour and 15 minutes. No question that I wouldn’t have gotten out of the house if not for the ebike.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
My eMTB made me so much more fit.
I just hate to sweat and therefore I did not get enough exercise.
After 18 month with my Levo I have lost 17 kg - 98 til 81 kg.
I still hate to sweat - but all the fun with the bike makes it all worth it ;)

Today I finished 3rd in the first ever eMTB race at Merida MTB Marathon DK.
Time for 57 km was 2:28:01. I regret so much taking a pause for p***** - could have ended at 2nd place.

In my opinion eMTB makes the unfit person wanting to ride a lot more - and by that getting a good and fun workout (y)
But as for the very fit rider riding an eMTB makes him more lazy...

Merida 2019.JPG

Some 1500 riders
Merida 2019 start.jpg

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Hey Gents

56 year old / 6'0" / 165lb'r

Been off my analog bike for some 7 years & was only spinning at the gym. Been on this E-bike now for just over a month. No doubt a much tougher workout than my spinning.
The E-bike just keeps me off of the cardio "rev limiter" so to speak but my heart rate is certainly in the 150-165 BPM range on certain climbs & pwr modes

Riding further, tackling trails i would not normally touch & riding longer as well

Joe :cool:

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
Hey Gents

56 year old / 6'0" / 165lb'r

Been off my analog bike for some 7 years & was only spinning at the gym. Been on this E-bike now for just over a month. No doubt a much tougher workout than my spinning.
The E-bike just keeps me off of the cardio "rev limiter" so to speak but my heart rate is certainly in the 150-165 BPM range on certain climbs & pwr modes

Riding further, tackling trails i would not normally touch & riding longer as well

Joe :cool:
This. Heart rate training is the way to go. Emtb allows for that while riding your favorite trails. I still mix in a day or two of standard mtb riding for leg strength and a full effort, the rest of my daily miles are on the Ebikes for recovery and endurance and silly fun!

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
I am one of the health impaired ebikers I guess. Years of inactivity after injury and surgeries left me half dead in condition and very restricted in terms of possible fitness activities.
I have been riding an ebike for about half a year now, in that time I’ve lost a stone plus, restored my failing respiration rates and reversed type 2 diabetes. Returning to anologue and pushing up trails in the cold would have been a swansong for sure. A short one!
I’m 53 and the wi said I was 72! Now I’m smashing mid 30s on the wi riding at least 25 miles every day.
I’m sure my muscle mass is less than when I rode analogue, but then so is all mass as I run well over a stone lighter than my pre issues condition. Even when I was fit. I’m rapidly turning into a whippet with no dietary changes whatsoever. Spinning the weight off with cardio rather than building muscle mass with strenuous work. More energy for trails. Not just a couple more runs but many compared to pushing. Descending is pretty demanding anyway.
Ultimately big legs are heavy and aerodynamically inefficient. I get out way more simply because I enjoy myself more, I’m sure I’ll ride all winter which will certainly be a first in all my years of riding almost anything!
Oh I’m fitter and stronger all right. Go ride!

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
@Simoto123 Your story should be an inspiration to many. Good to hear. I have been told yesterday in fact that I have to walk with crutches for at least two more months, I fractured my hip on April 27th! I can ride an e-bike as the weight is put through my backside instead of my hips. My sore backside when I started riding was testament to this weight bearing! The lower heart rate rides for longer than my old running have paid dividends to my fitness and weight.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Your story should be an inspiration to many. Good to hear.

Well said !

I have to walk with crutches for at least two more months, I fractured my hip on April 27th!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! That sucks ! At least you can still ride. But not fall off !!! In my experience, trying to be too careful caused me several moments of none committal in even fairly simple situations which caused me to fall off.

We're going to have to create a thread for you to populate ... "My 2019 Crutches leaning on stuff" .....

You really should be creating the "Useful Crutch Thread" though. Like what size in CL wine glass do you need to use to be able to use the crutch arm ring to hold it safely ?

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
@Simoto123 Your story should be an inspiration to many. Good to hear. I have been told yesterday in fact that I have to walk with crutches for at least two more months, I fractured my hip on April 27th! I can ride an e-bike as the weight is put through my backside instead of my hips. My sore backside when I started riding was testament to this weight bearing! The lower heart rate rides for longer than my old running have paid dividends to my fitness and weight.

Thankyou I have been amazed and delighted by the improvements. Life changing, even saving. Some of my issues relate to leg surgeries and resulting embolisms. Keep going dude. I had to lie about for a long time and the resulting embolisms have had long lasting ramifications.
Good luck with your efforts and to anyone else in similar situations. I promise you can make a change. It’s real hard at first without a doubt. The ebike comes in when you hit thresholds sooner and unexpectedly and can still get home with extra assist instead of pushing in to “bad exercise” realms.
Anyone juggling time to ride against work activities and income pressures. I advise and urge a small sacrifice to invest in yourself. Far reaching affects will pay you back a hundred fold I promise you.
Instead of the Nintendo saying you’re 70odd you can have #dirtandtrees in to your 70s.
I’m no zealot, I have seen proof first hand and really believe in these wonderful machines. I’ve had two rounds of open thorax surgery too!

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Well said !

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! That sucks ! At least you can still ride. But not fall off !!! In my experience, trying to be too careful caused me several moments of none committal in even fairly simple situations which caused me to fall off.

We're going to have to create a thread for you to populate ... "My 2019 Crutches leaning on stuff" .....

You really should be creating the "Useful Crutch Thread" though. Like what size in CL wine glass do you need to use to be able to use the crutch arm ring to hold it safely ?

Would you believe it, I was being too careful and not riding very fluidly. I fell off two weeks ago and smacked my other side on hard chalk and flint. I had to have another x-ray and bruised my left pelvis and was in agony for two days haha!!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Would you believe it, I was being too careful and not riding very fluidly. I fell off two weeks ago and smacked my other side on hard chalk and flint. I had to have another x-ray and bruised my left pelvis and was in agony for two days haha!!
I would I would !!! That's exactly what I did ! :) Fractured pelvis, supposed to be in bed .. Nope, I'll have a careful ride and just do nice trials .. lost the trail .. ok, I'll just pop that log .. carefully though .. slip, smack. I think my leg took longer to heal than my pelvis ! knob ! :)

Get well soon !! god it's frustrating !!

Vagus

Jul 17, 2019
Ontario Canada
It’s a sad fact that you are only in shape for the actual exercises you are doing. I’ve been working out for 37 yrs and riding for 43 years. If I help a friend move I’m exhausted when it’s done and sore the next day..

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
It’s a sad fact that you are only in shape for the actual exercises you are doing. I’ve been working out for 37 yrs and riding for 43 years. If I help a friend move I’m exhausted when it’s done and sore the next day..
Totally agree. I climbed for many years but was never particularly fit, I just got on with it. I took a very, very fit marathon running friend out rock climbing one day and was surprised to find that I was fitter at walking up a hill with a pack on my back than he was. Go figure.

zarick

Sep 6, 2019
Switzerland
50, 97kg, 5.9’

I live far up in the alps at 1650m and was riding a normal bike for the last 3 years trying to go back to my pre-climbing-accident condition.

I tried to do a 1h/10km/500m loop every morning, but it killed me every time. I had a hard time working after that and somehow my fitness didn’t improve at all.

With the Levo I do a 1h/20km/1000m loop in the morning and another one in the evening, which has me burn around 800 kcal. (Levo app) every day with a definite upward trend.

I feel fitter with a superb concentration level afterwards, I’m having much more fun riding downhill, I can enjoy one of the most amazing landscapes in the world twice a day and everyday I get to take an afternoon swim in one of these pristine mountain-lakes.

The life quality that this bike provides is just beyond my wildest dreams. It’s an expensive bike, but this has been one of my best investments ever.

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
50, 97kg, 5.9’

I live far up in the alps at 1650m and was riding a normal bike for the last 3 years.

I tried to do a 45min/10km/500m loop every morning, but it killed me every time. I had a hard time working after that and somehow my fitness didn’t improve at all.

With the Levo I do a 1h/20km/1000m loop in the morning and another one in the evening. This has me burn about 800 kcal. (Levo app)

I feel fitter with a superb concentration level afterwards, I’m having much more fun riding downhill, I can enjoy one of the most amazing landscapes in the world twice a day and everyday I can take an afternoon swim in one of the mountain-lakes.

The life quality that this bike adds is just beyond my wildest dreams. It’s an expensive bike, but this has been one of my best investments ever.
I'm jealous

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles