Loam wolf 2024 emtb shoot out.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Reliability? Warranty? How long to replace failed motor under warranty? How repair failed motor out of warranty/possible? Can failed out of warranty motor be replaced? Cost of repair/replacement? Etc.

So many questions, so few answers ...

Last edited:

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
Reliability? Warranty? How long to replace failed motor under warranty? How repair failed motor out of warranty/possible? Can failed out of warranty motor be replaced? Cost of repair/replacement? Etc.

you really believe they test these bikes till failure?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness

This is the kind of stuff I’d actually like to see but none of the big reviewers will show it, they don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

you really believe they test these bikes till failure?
No, of course not, but when making comparisons these are major issues which should be discussed.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
To be fair that's impossible for them to test, they could just regurgitate what the bike companies tell them and even then that will only apply to a particular part of the world.

I find these shootouts great to identify the best riding bikes (orbea wild and canyon strive:eek:n), then you need to go into he forums here to check for issues, which all ebikes are riddled with.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
To be fair that's impossible for them to test, they could just regurgitate what the bike companies tell them and even then that will only apply to a particular part of the world.

I find these shootouts great to identify the best riding bikes (orbea wild and canyon strive:eek:n), then you need to go into he forums here to check for issues, which all ebikes are riddled with.
Yep, you got it. If these guys or some other group tested these bikes to failure to see how the repair, replace, and warranty issues were handled, don't we think that the companies would jump through hoops to insure the service/warranty issues were handled? Therefore we'd have no real example of how that company would handle the "normal" customer's issues. So there's that.

I agree with you that these reviews are valuable tools. They are tools and not the do-all-end-all. Few of us get the opportunity to test every bike out there, so information is always valuable. And you're right on with the issue of forums being another valuable tool to help us gather info...especially concerning failures, service, warranty, etc. 👍

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
This is the kind of stuff I’d actually like to see but none of the big reviewers will show it, they don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them.
How would they perform these tests? It would take years in some instances and by that time the bike/motor they are testing has been superceeded. Also warrantee and local support is very localised based on how good the local country distributor behaves.

What is good service brand in the uk may be useless in US and completely different in NZ.....

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey

You heard of GOOGLE

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
The first thing DH racers throw away when they finish.

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
You are right but very little discussion on how different the systems are.
I think it's clear that these guys aren't hard core e bikers. They are mountain bikers that do ebike reviews..... so that dont really have deep experience on motors.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
I think they are just riders and not very technical. Ask them if they have rebuilt a grip 2.1 damper or even a dropper post and my guess is they take the bike to the shop for that. I just spent the afternoon changing out the oil in my DHX shock, I would guess none of them could do that.

surlyrides

Jun 10, 2021
boulder, co
I think they are just riders and not very technical. Ask them if they have rebuilt a grip 2.1 damper or even a dropper post and my guess is they take the bike to the shop for that. I just spent the afternoon changing out the oil in my DHX shock, I would guess none of them could do that.
Yes but to be fair, I'm not very concerned with how hard it is to service the suspension and drivetrain/brakes on the bike. I care how it rides, corners, jumps, and descends... That's what the loam wolf guys are good at and that's what I care about 🤘

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Yes but to be fair, I'm not very concerned with how hard it is to service the suspension and drivetrain/brakes on the bike. I care how it rides, corners, jumps, and descends... That's what the loam wolf guys are good at and that's what I care about 🤘
Good point. There are tons of Youtube vids on how to perform very detailed service functions, so bike test/comparison vids should focus on what they're good at. 👍

I love working on and modifying my bikes, vehicles, etc. For me it's half the fun. But if I found out that F1 champ Max Verstappen didn't know how to change a spark plug, I'd still listen if he explained how to drive a race car.

NCMike

Aug 12, 2022
georgia
I enjoy these guys and their reviews, but I have to say I was disappointed this year. I realize the Specialized Turbo Levo has been out for a while, but to not include a single model of the most sold Ebike in an annual Ebike review severally reduces the reviews relevancy. Where I’m from north of Atlanta, GA, I’ll bet 7-8 out of ever 10 e-bikes are turbo Levos. It’s easier to understand a comparison to something you’re familiar with, and I’d submit most e-bikers have some kind of exposed to a turbo Levo. Like in firearms, comparing any handgun to a Glock is helpful, because most people into firearms have used a Glock somewhere along the way. It gives a frame of reference to the largest amount of Interisted participants. Some of the bikes they reviewed I’ve never heard of, and the large majority I would never have the chance to sit on before purchasing.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I like the fact that they broken the test up into price category, so they compare the eMTB's with the similar level of spec.
Not everyone wants to or has the budget for a 6K+ eMTB:/

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I enjoy these guys and their reviews, but I have to say I was disappointed this year. I realize the Specialized Turbo Levo has been out for a while, but to not include a single model of the most sold Ebike in an annual Ebike review severally reduces the reviews relevancy. Where I’m from north of Atlanta, GA, I’ll bet 7-8 out of ever 10 e-bikes are turbo Levos. It’s easier to understand a comparison to something you’re familiar with, and I’d submit most e-bikers have some kind of exposed to a turbo Levo. Like in firearms, comparing any handgun to a Glock is helpful, because most people into firearms have used a Glock somewhere along the way. It gives a frame of reference to the largest amount of Interisted participants. Some of the bikes they reviewed I’ve never heard of, and the large majority I would never have the chance to sit on before purchasing.
You do realise they ride what they are given my manufacturers? If there is a bike missing it will be because one was not supplied/available at the time of testing.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
You do realise they ride what they are given my manufacturers? If there is a bike missing it will be because one was not supplied/available at the time of testing.
While its true all models/mfrs don’t get included I think they’re just trying to review new models from newer brands or newer tech.
Here in SF Bay area home brands like Specialized and Santa Cruz are pretty common and riders are often looking into newer concepts

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
While its true all models/mfrs don’t get included I think they’re just trying to review new models from newer brands or newer tech.
Here in SF Bay area home brands like Specialized and Santa Cruz are pretty common and riders are often looking into newer concepts
That's probably the case. I know Loam Wolf did a couple of fairly extensive Trek Rail tests with his crew, so info is out there. Our shop is fortunate enough to have Specialized, Trek, and Santa Cruz brands. We've sold various emtb models in these brands, all with very satisfied customers. Honestly...they all work pretty darned well. The Brose motor issue in Spec does come up more frequently so far compared to the Bosch and Shimano, but we haven't had the SC brand as long.

Some of these bikes have gotten so good that it really comes down to splitting hairs over the specific application a user will ride them in.

NCMike

Aug 12, 2022
georgia
Do you realize they‘ve done multiple reviews on turbo Levos and even gave it their best bike award so should know enough about one to make a comparison?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Do you realize they‘ve done multiple reviews on turbo Levos and even gave it their best bike award so should know enough about one to make a comparison?
That's not how a shootout works. They test bikes back to back. Remembering a bike they tested 6 months ago or 12 months ago is not a fair or relevant test.

Andyvicks

Oct 12, 2020
Leicester
It was great to see bikes from other manufacturers being reviewed rather than the usual suspects. That said the trail/enduro bikes are getting on for downhills levels of length and slackness!!😱

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles