Rail (625Wh) Linkglide Xt on Rail 5 -21?

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
Another noob question. :)
I dont like the original derailleur on the Rail 5 -21 at all and now when it’s life is over I was thinking about getting the Linkglide Xt.

Is it possible with the original rear wheel or what do I have to buy to make it fit?
I would prefer to also have the linkglide Xt cassette if possible.

Thanks!

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Linkglide is a system, so you need mech, shifter, chain and cassette.
Linkglide uses an HG freehub, ideally steel, so if you have sram xd or Shimano micro spline currently, you will need to change.

Last edited:

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
Linkglide is a system, so you need mech, shifter, chain and cassette.
Linkglide uses an HG freehub, so if you have sram xd or Shimano micro spline currently, you will need to change.
Ok thanks! The original mech is s Sram Sx Eagle. Is there a way to tell if the freehub is compatible based on thst info?

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Thats low end sram stuff for sure. If the smallest cog is an 11 its an HG freehub. Although more likely alloy than steel.

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
Thats low end sram stuff for sure. If the smallest cog is an 11 its an HG freehub. Although more likely alloy than steel.
Big thanks! Yes that mech is not good at all. Can’t wait to throw it in the bin.

Ymersmoelf

Oct 19, 2019
Denmark
Long time experience with Linkglide 10 spd. Only positives! 10 spd. is enough with all that motor torque and means less double skifts when accellerating. 2 to 3 times more durable (chain and cassette) than all other sram or shimano systems i have tried over 5 years of emtb. Dirt cheap!!! Shorter cage arm on 10 spd. is less prone to snagging and breaking. shifts a tiny bit slower than other groups but a lot safer under load. It should be impossible that the absolut cheapest (by far) groupset is the absolut best for emtb. I think it is :)

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Been thinking about using a link glide cassette/chain with a wheel top derailleur for a budget, but robust electronic system - any reason not to?

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
Long time experience with Linkglide 10 spd. Only positives! 10 spd. is enough with all that motor torque and means less double skifts when accellerating. 2 to 3 times more durable (chain and cassette) than all other sram or shimano systems i have tried over 5 years of emtb. Dirt cheap!!! Shorter cage arm on 10 spd. is less prone to snagging and breaking. shifts a tiny bit slower than other groups but a lot safer under load. It should be impossible that the absolut cheapest (by far) groupset is the absolut best for emtb. I think it is :)
Thank you for your report. Will buy the system as soon a get a hold of a HG rear wheel (or a body).

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Ive been running 10speed Linkglide setup on my Rail 7 for probably 18 months, I switched the wheels to Mavic Deemax, HG freehub body, Linkglide shifter,11-43 cassette is ample for the terrain i ride( NW Lancs/Yorkshire Dales), i use standard shimano rear mech, no issues and longer life, keep an eye on chain stretch, and the cassette will last upto 3 chains!

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
Ive been running 10speed Linkglide setup on my Rail 7 for probably 18 months, I switched the wheels to Mavic Deemax, HG freehub body, Linkglide shifter,11-43 cassette is ample for the terrain i ride( NW Lancs/Yorkshire Dales), i use standard shimano rear mech, no issues and longer life, keep an eye on chain stretch, and the cassette will last upto 3 chains!
That is really good news. Thanks. Any issues with the Mavics?

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Good to know, I have been waiting to hear if someone has run the regular shadow+ derailleur with LG shifter and cassette. I knew the actuation ratio was close enough to probably work.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Thank you for your report. Will buy the system as soon a get a hold of a HG rear wheel (or a body).
Here in the states the Rail 5 gen 2 came with a Trek Alex MD35 Boost 29" MTB Wheel that used the HG freehub, and the Rail 5 gen 3 came with the microspline freehub. I don''t see a part number for just the HG freehub and the complete wheel is out of stock until December (part number W5251120 or W596550), but that is for my side of the pond.

Might be time to upgrade to a seal cartridge bearing wheel or wheelset.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Yes, SX and NX 12 speeds use a standard HG driver. But you will need to ensure the spacer ring between the hub and cassette is installed.
You are correct, so OP should be able to use stock wheel. I believe the Alex wheel is also a steel freehub which is better than the alloy HG freehub I use on the Rapid Drive hubs. I have had a cog saw all the way through the splines before.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles