Like your imput and thoughts.

tym

Jul 18, 2024
Abingdon Illinois
Im KINDA giving thought to putting the part in that unlocks my bike speed. Im just not sure its a wise idea. While at times, yea, a faster speed would be handy in trips to a bigger town in my area, I just dont wanna sacrifice distance and battery life.
My other concern would be loosing torque for hills. Common sense would say, if you keep your foot out of it, your battery life will not suffer much.
With my bike, you have to install a part, I wish I could lock and unlock the bike top speed using the display. For my bike its just not an option.
Just want everyones thoughts. Thanks.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Without knowing your motor, its hard to give advise.
I have unlocked shimano both with chip and software, took the chip off for reasons I don't remember and am using software only to change region to USA. On the bosch bike, I resolved to buy another motor with 45 km/h and keep the original for spares. Never had problem with both.
As per range and torque, this is easily controlled with mode and gear choice. My biggest concern would be binning the motor because of the modification.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Get back on an unassisted bike for a while then jump back on an assisted one you soon realise the assistance is great on the climbs no matter what the assistance cut off :)
Seriously thou i dont suppose you will pass the 25kmh cut off on most proper hills so it would be no different on a limited or unlimited assistance bike as gearing is your main cut off on hills and you of course (y)

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I just dont wanna sacrifice distance and battery life.
My other concern would be loosing torque for hills. Common sense would say, if you keep your foot out of it, your battery life will not suffer much.
You won't sacrifice any distance or battery life if you stay within the restricted speed limit for much of your riding, as I do, despite fitting a dongle. I rarely go over the UK 15.5mph limit but it's nice to have it there if I need/want to. Even then I only set it to 21.7mph on startup, and it only ever gets used on road, never off-road. In short, I didn't notice any extra battery usage after derestriction as I'm rarely using it.

But yes, constantly running at max derestricted speed can and will hammer your range. All depends on how much each rider is going to push it as you say.

I'm confused about your comment re losing torque - derestriction does not affect this, only top speed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles