Lightening up an ebike

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So, my bike (orbea wild fs m team) weighs 23.3kg with pedals , its got reasonably high end components on it (shimano xt12 speed gears and brakes, dt Swiss hx 1501 wheels, carbon handlebars, etc) from the factory, it has a carbon frame, maxxis dhf 2.5 exo tyre of the front, and Dhr doubledown on the back, set up tubeless. 200mm brake discs front and rear, It has the 625wh battery.

What can I do to drop significant weight from it without spending a fortune or Compromising on durability and ability downhill?

The only option I can come up with is buying an additional 500wh battery, and using that for most rides, keeping the 625wh battery for big rides, that would drop it to about 22.5kg, but I'm wondering if anyone has any clever/thinking outside the box ways of shedding weight without affecting the things that matter.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Carbon rims?

Or buy a Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE that weighs 20.4kg. OK, it only has 378Whr battery, but you can double that by adding the TEC pack and you then have a Shimano-powered bike with a 756Whr battery that still weighs 700gm less than yours with the 625Whr battery. For weight and performance, I'm struggling to find a bike that can beat it.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Carbon rims?

Or buy a Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE that weighs 20.4kg. OK, it only has 378Whr battery, but you can double that by adding the TEC pack and you then have a Shimano-powered bike with a 756Whr battery that still weighs 700gm less than yours with the 625Whr battery. For weight and performance, I'm struggling to find a bike that can beat it.

Good idea but not for me, Ive done the carbon rims thing on my normal bike, they would save a small amount of weight, but they're fragile and expensive.

I've never broken alu rims, but every carbon rim I've tried I have broken, that and they also give a really harsh ride quality, so it's a no for carbon rims for me , it's not a compromise I'd be willing to make.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Ive been toying with extreme things like removing the charging port from the frame, so only giving the option of charging the battery out of the bike, or removing the battery lock, removing some motor mounting bolts, but these would save just a few grams, and probably not worth the compromise.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Good idea but not for me, Ive done the carbon rims thing on my normal bike, they would save a small amount of weight, but they're fragile and expensive.

I've never broken alu rims, but every carbon rim I've tried I have broken, that and they also give a really harsh ride quality, so it's a no for carbon rims for me , it's not a compromise I'd be willing to make.
Have you seen the Santa Cruz Reserve carbon rims that Danny Mac tries his hardest to break?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Let's put a max spend of £1 for every gram saved on it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Given the spec you have the only realistic substantial weight saving is going for the smaller battery.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Why do you want to lighten it up? I can't see the point unless it's to do whips mid air?

A few reasons

- I think a lighter bike handles better on the trail, hops and manuals I feel would be better on a lighter bike - but it would need to be a lot (>1kg) lighter to make a noticeable difference.
- lifting the thing over stiles and manhandling it into cars would be easier.

But to make a noticeable difference to both the above it needs to be a lot lighter, hence why fiddling around the edges saving a gram here and there is not worthwhile imo.

I don't think there's anything I can do aside from the smaller battery, but I thought I'd throw it out to the forum and see if anyone has any lateral thinking ways of dropping serious weight without compromise

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Given the spec you have the only realistic substantial weight saving is going for the smaller battery.
Yeah agree, just throwing it out there, you never know, there are some clever people out there with left field ideas.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Sell it and buy a lighter emtb?
Probably fails the pound per gram saved rule. Plus nothing in stock that fits my wider set of requirements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the bike, just seeing if there are any quick, easy, cheap ways of saving weight that I haven't thought of.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Probably fails the pound per gram saved rule. Plus nothing in stock that fits my wider set of requirements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the bike, just seeing if there are any quick, easy, cheap ways of saving weight that I haven't thought of.

Stop eating pies?

Seriously though, if you want a light bike, buy a light bike. Trying to lighten up a full-fat emtb is going to be an expensive exercise.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Stop eating pies?

Seriously though, if you want a light bike, buy a light bike. Trying to lighten up a full-fat emtb is going to be an expensive exercise.
So far you're all confirming what I thought to be the case.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
So, my bike (orbea wild fs m team) weighs 23.3kg with pedals , its got reasonably high end components on it (shimano xt12 speed gears and brakes, dt Swiss hx 1501 wheels, carbon handlebars, etc) from the factory, it has a carbon frame, maxxis dhf 2.5 exo tyre of the front, and Dhr doubledown on the back, set up tubeless. 200mm brake discs front and rear, It has the 625wh battery.

What can I do to drop significant weight from it without spending a fortune or Compromising on durability and ability downhill?

The only option I can come up with is buying an additional 500wh battery, and using that for most rides, keeping the 625wh battery for big rides, that would drop it to about 22.5kg, but I'm wondering if anyone has any clever/thinking outside the box ways of shedding weight without affecting the things that matter.

The biggest weight saving you can make is the rider, get on those salads ?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Swap the dropper post for a carbon or lightweight aluminium seat post (can't remember the brand)?

Use a cf saddle with no padding?

Lightweight Alibaba sourced pedals?

Foam grips?

Minimal sealant?

Are any forks lighter than currently fitted?

Also a few grams saved here and there on different components soon add up

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
1609634123261.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Fox 38 - RS Pike = 490g saving - FREE? You'll probably get enough for the 38 to cover the cost of a discounted Pike online
Fizik saddle - Selle SLR 135g = 110g saving @about £45 S/H on Ebay (in good condition)
500wh Battery = 750g saving @ £600

1375g
Bringing the bike down to just under 22kg (which IMO is right about the point where most Ebikes start to feel cumbersome)

10 speed drivetrain would save you just over 120g in weight if you go to 11-36 and Zee FR mech but you'll also need a new freehub body to switch. But you'll also have to be prepoared to actually put in effort for certain climbs (but still not as much as a normal bike)
If you want to go 11-42 the lightest affordable mech for that set up is the older XT 10 speed M786 and you'll only be saving 80g ish
Either way, switching to shimano 10spd will pay for itself over 12 speed running costs the first time you need to replace the drivetrain

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Fox 38 - RS Pike = 490g saving - FREE? You'll probably get enough for the 38 to cover the cost of a discounted Pike online
Fizik saddle - Selle SLR 135g = 110g saving @about £45 S/H on Ebay (in good condition)
500wh Battery = 750g saving @ £600

1375g
Bringing the bike down to just under 22kg (which IMO is right about the point where most Ebikes start to feel cumbersome)

10 speed drivetrain would save you just over 120g in weight if you go to 11-36 and Zee FR mech but you'll also need a new freehub body to switch. But you'll also have to be prepoared to actually put in effort for certain climbs (but still not as much as a normal bike)
If you want to go 11-42 the lightest affordable mech for that set up is the older XT 10 speed M786 and you'll only be saving 80g ish
Either way, switching to shimano 10spd will pay for itself over 12 speed running costs the first time you need to replace the drivetrain
Its actually last years orbea, so has fox 36 ebike fork, not the 38,but I guess the principle is the same, but I prefer the fox over the pike, so that's a change I'm not willing to make.

Drive train - there's not much saving there, but I suspect I'll do something in that space once I have worn the existing setup out.

Saddle is a good one. ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Is it a 29r both wheels . . If so maybe a mullet will make the bike feel less cumbersome.
I've got a spare 27.5 wheel here that would fit but i think it will lower the bb by too much, might give it a try though when I get bored.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
What everyone else said, + changing tyres would probably remove some considerable weight (but you will lose on grip e t c of course).
I've used lighter tyres before on previous bikes, and it's not grip that reduces with tyre weight, but strength and specifically resistance to punctures. With lighter tyres than these I always get flats.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles