Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL on a turbo trainer?

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Hello,

I searched a bit on the forum but could not find anything interesting.

Do you think a turbo Levo SL can be safely used on a smart trainer?

During winter I use the smart/turbo tainer a lot. Winters are very long and I can't always go out. So I am leveraging my analog AM bike on a trainer.

With the age increasing I am thinking about buying in coming months some old Levo SL to replace the analog bike completely. However I don't want to cause any damage to motor/transmission if used on the trainer for long period of time.

Does any of you have experience using a Levo SL on a smart trainer? Or do you see any potential issue (especially fr the transmission and motor)?

Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

The bike will be switched off so the motor's not doing any work and the clutch would be disengaged.

They'll be a tiny tiny tiny amount more drag than a none e-bike.

@Bearing Man you know more about how the motor disengages and if it's potentially adding more wear in this configuration. Presumably if the motor already has an unidentified mechanical issue, then it would exacerbate it, but no more than just riding the bike anyway ?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hello,

I searched a bit on the forum but could not find anything interesting.

Do you think a turbo Levo SL can be safely used on a smart trainer?

During winter I use the smart/turbo tainer a lot. Winters are very long and I can't always go out. So I am leveraging my analog AM bike on a trainer.

With the age increasing I am thinking about buying in coming months some old Levo SL to replace the analog bike completely. However I don't want to cause any damage to motor/transmission if used on the trainer for long period of time.

Does any of you have experience using a Levo SL on a smart trainer? Or do you see any potential issue (especially fr the transmission and motor)?

Thanks
You should be fine! When you're pedalling with the motor off, you are only turning the crankshaft of the motor and the crankshaft bearings are good for 100,000 miles + if they're not getting wet and dusty.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Protect the bottom bracket area with a towel on your top tube or something similar. It’s well known that sweating on a trainer eats the bb bearings faster so it’s probably not good for the motor. But as long as it doesn’t get too much sweat you should be fine!

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Protect the bottom bracket area with a towel on your top tube or something similar. It’s well known that sweating on a trainer eats the bb bearings faster so it’s probably not good for the motor. But as long as it doesn’t get too much sweat you should be fine!
I use it on a closed balcony. Sweating is close to 0 in winter :)
But thanks for the heads-up :)

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
What would you get for the old bike? … if that is a pitiful amount, just keep it as a dyno donkey until it falls apart …
Yeah, thought about that but I don’t have enough space to store one more bike.
Moreover I count on the fact that I will get some decent money from it 🙂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles