Levo Gen 2 Levo not powering on

Bazzer

Sep 19, 2020
Skipton
Hi. Can anyone help please.

My Levo won’t power on. The battery is fully charged but nothing happens when you press the button on the head unit other than the green lights on the battery do come on - I can see them through the gap in the cap. But nothing on the head unit.

Cleaned the connections.

Any suggestions?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi. Can anyone help please.

My Levo won’t power on. The battery is fully charged but nothing happens when you press the button on the head unit other than the green lights on the battery do come on - I can see them through the gap in the cap. But nothing on the head unit.

Cleaned the connections.

Any suggestions?
Take wiring harness off both ends if you have not done that yet. Tcu worth a look at too good luck . Have you washed it lately

Bazzer

Sep 19, 2020
Skipton
It had a few very wet last ride and then cleaned. Issue after this. Had the harness off and a little gentle warming as well with a hair dryer. Had the tcu out.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It had a few very wet last ride and then cleaned. Issue after this. Had the harness off and a little gentle warming as well with a hair dryer. Had the tcu out.
Any time mine didnt start up was always after washing 3 or 4 times i think . left it indoors one night aye just the cable then ok in morning. Berkshire cycles advise blowing with compressor for 2 or 3 minutes to dry out cable . Leave under radiator worked for me. Was a crack in cable housing last time and they sent one out right away not happened since ,dare i say that.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
there is no reason for the harness to cause a problem unless it is damaged. You need to carefully check the harness, especially the plus at the motor connection end. If you have not had that cable updated it could well be damaged in such a way as to allow water penetration. Check the cap for cracking but also check that the caps at both end are fully sealed with the cable sheath. My bet is either the seal between the motor end cap and the outer sheath is not waterproof or the cap itself is cracked which will allow water ingress.

Bazzer

Sep 19, 2020
Skipton
Well. I brought the bike inside, had the harness out and head unit out and it now works. I’ve tried about 5 times through the eve and morning and it low powers up, I think the bike was damp and as it’s stored in the garage, it couldn’t dry out properly. Happy days.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well. I brought the bike inside, had the harness out and head unit out and it now works. I’ve tried about 5 times through the eve and morning and it low powers up, I think the bike was damp and as it’s stored in the garage, it couldn’t dry out properly. Happy days.
Good news then. Time of year it's hard to dry things out if you don't have a heated work shop . The mud etc that gets round that area it's hard to get clean using minimum water I find . Must admit the new harness I got is beefier and the kink sits better still too long though I think. Hopefully your ok for a while.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Have seen the same problem after washing but clears up in a day or so after drying.
Seems the sense pins on the connector are very sensitive to moisture (any low leak path).

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Im pleased it is all now working but there is no reason for it to have failed other than electrical components are not adequately sealed. On Saturday I was out for a ride and one section was a farm track which was flooded right across in several places. On one particularly large and deep puddle I tried to ride high on the verge but failed to see a large ditch hidden in long grass. The bike stopped dead and I fell off towards the puddle...the bike ended up partly submerged...TCU , handlebar controller and motor were under water for a short period whilst I got back to the bike.
No problem during the ride or since. Why? The TCU and its connections are fully taped, there is a DIY seal between the TCU and frame, the TCU cable running behind the shock is sealed with grease at exit and entry, the main cable to battery connector O ring seal is lubed with silicone lube and with a layer of grease behind it and the whole connection is covered with a neoprene cover, the power cable is the latest version, the cavity between the motor and its covers is filled with motofoam, all of the connections to the motor PCB are periodically removed and their (green) seals lubed and the area behind them greased.......and grease packed into the entire connection area.
None of that should be necessary.........but it costs virtually nothing and the whole lot takes no more than an hour initially to fabricate the cover and TCU seal and an hour every 3 or months to strip off a crank and motor cover to clean and regrease/lube everything. The main battery connection is cleaned and re lubed/greased after every ride as part of the clean and lube routine. Never had an electrical fault............or any fault for that matter.

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Mine did exactly the same last night. Trying to turn it on, most of the time no TCU lights at all, on a few random times a faint blue light came on for a split second and then nothing. Tried this morning and it turned on a few times but then others it didn't.

Nipped it into Berkshire Bikes this morning and they sorted it in 45 mins. Was a faulty power cable which they replaced, I guess water ingress or something like others.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Had the same problem yesterday morning. No lights anywhere. Luckily I was able to get help from the local Concept Store where I bought it and they said the battery was dead.

After 340km from new!!!

Fortunately they had a spare one to hand, which they installed, and they'll contact me in the new year when my new one is available.
I asked if there was anything that I might have done to it and I was told "nah, the batteries are just very sensitive"

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Have seen the same problem after washing but clears up in a day or so after drying.
Seems the sense pins on the connector are very sensitive to moisture (any low leak path).

Turned out mine had a wire running from battery to motor that was starting to fail....2020 Comp

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles