Levo Gen 3 Levo Gen 3 : No firmware updates in about 2 years

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Does anyone else find it surprising that there haven't been any firmware updates in quite a long time for Gen 3 Levos? I have to think there were SOME improvements or features that could have been implemented in all that time.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Does anyone else find it surprising that there haven't been any firmware updates in quite a long time for Gen 3 Levos? I have to think there were SOME improvements or features that could have been implemented in all that time.
It's around a year since last major firmware was released and had to be updated at the LBS not by yourself for unknown reasons.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
It's around a year since last major firmware was released and had to be updated at the LBS not by yourself for unknown reasons.

Yup - that was for the battery though. Surprised there's been nothing for the motor or the TCU.

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Same for Gen 2 levos. My battery was updated Feb 23, and the 80% charge limit feature hasn't worked since. No updates of any type forthcoming. Spesh seemed to have dropped the ball globally on this and their new app is a train wreck.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
May be linked to Spesh cutting costs worldwide after the pandemic boom/bust cycle?

Although my 2018 Kenevo is still running 2018 firmware…why mess with perfection?

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
The only feature I miss at this point is a working "cap charge to 80%". It used to work, but stopped working entirely. My impression is that it worked until it reached a 100% cycle (10 charges or so). Now it always charges to 100% :(

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I'm old enough to remember when "no updates for xx months/years" was a good thing. It meant the product was stable and working properly. I also remember when product design teams wouldn't release their product until they thought it was complete. Now that products are controlled by software, the manufacturer can released a half-baked product knowing that the customers expect there to be frequent updates.

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
I'm old enough to remember when "no updates for xx months/years" was a good thing. It meant the product was stable and working properly. I also remember when product design teams wouldn't release their product until they thought it was complete. Now that products are controlled by software, the manufacturer can released a half-baked product knowing that the customers expect there to be frequent updates.

The reason for this is how incentives work on most software companies: People are not promoted or get bonuses for fixing things. This is "invisible work". They get promoted for launching new things. The end result is what you see: Half baked products. If there's a given version of a product, people would rather make a new version that has 80% of the features of the original (they always discard the 20% harder ones to implement) than fix the old one.

But I digress...

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
Exactly this the apple generation has a lot to answer for

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I'm thinking more about many features that could easily have been added to improve the utility and flexibility of the TCU, better external integration, some basic data analysis that could make recommendations on tuning the various modes, more configurable controls (e.g. a better way to use walk mode), more detailed troubleshooting and fault indicators, and so many other things that could have been done.

Thiefyo

Nov 14, 2022
Romania
So small news i've been talking to specialized rider care to understand why i cannot enable system lock on my bike and while talking about this he pointed out that he noticed that i have to deliver my bike to the shop to perform an update.. and i was like huh? the app did not say anything.. so that's why i am here and this was his response...
They are working on this now. There is no way for the TCU to use the lock function and there are no options to change that in the future. As of right now the over the air update is not functional at this time. All updates will have to go through your local dealer.

Apologies for the confusion on this one. "

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
So small news i've been talking to specialized rider care to understand why i cannot enable system lock on my bike and while talking about this he pointed out that he noticed that i have to deliver my bike to the shop to perform an update.. and i was like huh? the app did not say anything.. so that's why i am here and this was his response...
They are working on this now. There is no way for the TCU to use the lock function and there are no options to change that in the future. As of right now the over the air update is not functional at this time. All updates will have to go through your local dealer.

Apologies for the confusion on this one. "
Well, there ya go. Maybe that answers my original question?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles