Levo Curious ?

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
So, looking to upgrade , hooked on E-biking with my first EMTB.

Been considering all sorts of brands, been watching Rob’s rides and my resistance is now crumbling.

Off to my local Specialized Concept Store today, “for a look” ?

Turbo Levo Comp 2019 deal has attracted me.

The absolute only reason I’d consider a 2020 is bigger battery, I’m not interested in any other advancements or spec 19 vs 20.

Question 1.
will a ‘19 model take a 700 battery ?

Question 2. My biggest fear about coming over to Levo is all the motor issues I’ve read . Are they that common ?

Cheers all ??

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Sure, 2019 will take 700wh battery, but is an expensive upgrade...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Question 2. My biggest fear about coming over to Levo is all the motor issues I’ve read . Are they that common ?

Are you worried you'll get a good one so you won't get to take advantage of the warranty ?? :)

I think the actual real world failure rate is pretty small, from when I did the thread on trying to work this out I spent a lot of time reading and searching for all failures to get a better picture - I didn't include these on the thread as they could skew the results and I'd be accused of being biased if I'd missed some failures of brand x/y/x ..

But basically, with needing to make a lot of assumptions on sales, failure rates were pretty similar whatever brand motor you had. Some of the early 2.1 brose's had issues but were all swapped out and since then the 2.1 has been more reliable than the 1.2 and 1.3 - but dont take that to mean that the 1.2 and 1.3 are unreliable, more that they have continued to refine things.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I've got the 19 Comp and yes it will take the 700 Wh battery - it will cost more as an upgrade, but could be worth it depending on the terrain you are riding (how far and how steep) and your weight and fitness/strength.
As for the motor issues, only Specialized (or any manufacturer) could tell you exactly how many there have been, anything else you hear is anecdotal and riders with an issue are far more likely to post on a forum than those who don't. Number 1 rule is test ride as much as you can, and number 2 is make sure you get on with your dealer - if anything does go wrong they will help you under the Specialized warranty like mine has.

Haedesz

Sep 20, 2019
Belgium
700wh battery is about 1000-1300 euro / gbp / gold doubloons depending on the source.
It's the range of a 500wh battery times 140%.
So this could be a huge deciding factor, depending on your ride duration / style.
Also factor in when buying a 700wh for your '19 you still have a spare 500wh to trade at your shop / sell online or use as a backup.

The math is up to you, since we don't have the numbers on your deal.

For me a 2020 comp wasn't an option since I got the Levo (base model) through work and was stuck with a budget.
I'm envious of a 700wh, but haven't really been in any sort of range trouble for MY type of riding.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
2020 if you can find a deal, motor issues may have been addressed. As the 700 watt battery ages it will eventually be a 500 and the 500 a 400

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Oh dear, that was probably going to be an expensive visit.
Have to say, having looked, touched, sat on , I get the Levo thing !

2019 Levo Comp FSR £3999
2019 Levo Comp Carbon £5400 with a free extra 500 battery.
2020 Levo Comp £5400

It's a tough call, not convinced on the "need" vs "nice to have" 700watt.
Mainly off road riding, but 20-30mls.

Haedesz

Sep 20, 2019
Belgium

This sounds like the best value for money;
- Carbon front triangle.
- Upgraded Fox suspension.
- Upgraded brakes (still suck)
- 2 x 500wh batteries to sell / trade for 1 x 700wh battery (because lets be honest, who is really putting that spare in their backpack).

= "2020" levo comp carbon" for the price of a 2020 levo comp.

But your max budget will probably decide your choice. The 2019 comp is also a decent price point.

SOMEONE DOUBLE CHECK MY MATHS CAUSE I SUCK AT IT. :D

Last edited:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO

2019 Levo Comp FSR £3999
2020 Levo Comp £5400

You may also want to find a better deals for 2020, £5400 for Comp is not really a good deal ;)

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
You may also want to find a better deals for 2020, £5400 for Comp is not really a good deal ;)
That was the standard price , searched the internet, all the usual dealers.
Not finding anywhere less that that ??‍♂️

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
All brands of motors, have issues.
Cut a deal with your LBS, for a 700w battery.

Now all you need to do is, decide if it's carbon or not (y)

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
That was the standard price , searched the internet, all the usual dealers.
Not finding anywhere less that that ??‍♂️
Best deals you will find going to several dealers and ask them about it ...

Dave91

Sep 30, 2019
Birmingham
You should go on the cannock levo expert test day, ride a levo expert .. don't let anyone else ride that one - hog it .. just for you .. be very protective .. then see if you can buy it as an ex-demo from @Dave91 (aftr you've bought him a beer coffee) for the same money as a 2020 carbon comp :)
Damn, don't tell everyone that beer and coffee are my weakness!

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Dave, if my local concept store doesn’t have the bike I want , can one be transferred from other stores in the network ?
@Dave91

Dave91

Sep 30, 2019
Birmingham
Dave, if my local concept store doesn’t have the bike I want , can one be transferred from other stores in the network ?
@Dave91
Unfortunately it's dependent on concept store. They're all franchises so it depends on the link and the willingness of the shop. Mine (Birmingham) is owned by Certini, who also own Bristol and Plymouth. We're usually happy to help other stores (concept and independent) but their are some which have unfortunately burnt a few bridges down the years.

If they can't get the bike but we have, I'm sure we'll be able to help one form or another. I'm available day and night and try to be as proactive as possible on here!

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I ponied up for a 700Wh battery - making my investment far too much ..... but I do not regret it one bit. Well, I regret buying a Speccy and always will. No, that is not true .. I am disgusted I was forced to but a Speccy but it was the only way to get what I wanted at the time.

Once my 2019 Scott eGenius is sold I am going to test the 2020 with the Bosch CX and 625Wh battery. If I like that the Speccy is gone burger.

Chubba

Sep 17, 2019
Cape Town, South Africa

2019 Levo Comp FSR £3999
2020 Levo Comp £5400

I had the same choice, 2019 comp with upgrade battery or 2020 comp.

So a few things, it might not initially make a difference but the 2020 comes with a Lyrik which is a better fork then the Revelation. I have ridden both on the same trails and the Lyrik is more stable and compliant.

The 2020 comes with all the little extras that the 2019 lacked, crap catcher on the rear stay to keep shit out the motor, thru axels both front and back, Lyric and of course, the 700wh battery, which you might not think is a necessity now, but it is longer term.

You also have to calculate the additional 1000 pound cost to get the 700wh battery upgrade, which in my case even with a discounted 2019, took me close to the 2020 price. Also, remember you have a year younger bike if you ever think about selling.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
So, looking to upgrade , hooked on E-biking with my first EMTB.

Been considering all sorts of brands, been watching Rob’s rides and my resistance is now crumbling.

Off to my local Specialized Concept Store today, “for a look” ?

Turbo Levo Comp 2019 deal has attracted me.

The absolute only reason I’d consider a 2020 is bigger battery, I’m not interested in any other advancements or spec 19 vs 20.

Question 1.
will a ‘19 model take a 700 battery ?

Cheers all ??

I have a '19 comp carbon; absolutely lovely bike and can handle the gaps n jumps. I'm 96 kilo's plus kit and the bike is terrific in all conditions- I was wary of the FOX 34's not being sturdy enough for me but they are.
I've recently put Eddy Currents on and also swapped my carbon bars from my Capra over.
I ride in the Surrey Hills with 3 other ebikers all on Levo's plus 1 Kenevo
We love baiting the roadies (when we have to use the road) when we over take them going up-hill whilst having a chat! This alone is worth having an eBike!!!
S

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I have a 2020 Comp and got it for the battery, having said that, I had already had a base model 18 and NEVER out rode the battery. I did get close a couple times so I felt that knowing how much I ride the bike now (I didn't know that when I purchased my first one) and realizing that it's nice to not worry about power, I stepped up to the 2020. As for the motors, I have a bunch of friends who have Levos and most ride REALLY hard...only one person had a motor replaced and it was probably his fault... but Specialized didn't blink and gave him a new motor right away. My theory is to buy a new bike every two years so I'm always in warranty...

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Thats 2x as expensive as buying an engine out of warranty, even when you deduct the resale value :ROFLMAO:

But hey, if you can afford it why not!

No doubt, but it also allows you to keep pretty current technologywise and reduces your downtime for repairs. AND allows you to sell your old bike at a reasonable price. It's a habit I got into with motocross... I used to get a new bike every year, and it always cost me about a grand. That way I always had a fresh bike and the latest tech.. the tough purchase is the first one....

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada

2019 Levo Comp FSR £3999
2020 Levo Comp £5400

this is only if both bikes have equal warranty.
Yes that’s a difficult one, based on those numbers I would go 19 comp fsr for 3999. All goes well in a year you order a new battery or buy someone’s else’s 504 as a back up. I have 18 expert got an extra 504 battery and have only used it twice lol. I ride ifor 3.5 hours 56kms and usually have between 34%. - 25% of the battery left.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles