Battery is 3 years old, 150 cycles, about 2,000 miles

0257A075-057F-4E35-BE2B-8BB584971142.png

Last edited:

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Super unlucky dude. Its very unlikely you broke it.
But offering 50% is more than reasonable.
Never a lender nor a borrower be as my old dad used to say.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
similar thread:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
It's interesting to read different opinions on this question. I can't say that anyone here is wrong. Friendships have been destroyed over simpler problems.

If the clapped out old battery was mine, I'd like to think that I'd just write it off and not accept any payment from my friend. I don't like to think of my friendships as monetary arrangements. If I was the guy who borrowed the battery, and he wasn't flush with cash, maybe I'd offer him a hundred bucks, or maybe invite him over to dinner and serve something nice. But if the dude is adamant that I buy him a new battery, I'd start thinking of him as the kind of friend who is just looking to pick my pockets at every opportunity.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
You gotta ask the borrower what they did when using and charging it , if it was the same as what you do then you can’t make them pay unless you get it in writing before hand if anything breaks you pay !

Edit if I borrowed a dodgy bike that broke I’d ask the lender for
Compensation 🤪

Last edited:

Tim22

Jan 15, 2020
Boise, Id
You gotta ask the borrower what they did when using and charging it , if it was the same as what you do then you can’t make them pay unless you get it in writing before hand if anything breaks you pay !

Edit if I borrowed a dodgy bike that broke I’d ask the lender for
Compensation 🤪
It's all a crap shoot. Waiting on a warranty battery from my new bike. Bought in May and died after 4 charge cycles. Now waiting for 2 mo. 4 motors on my 20 Comp

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Battery is 3 years old, 150 cycles, about 2,000 mile, I borrowed it from a friend , since mine was being shipped by boat, I used it for 5 rides, returned to my friend and now it wont charge, and he says I broke his battery.
Is this terminal? Is there a company that fixes batteries?
I asked him , what did I do to break the battery? To me, it was due to fail anyway, but he is blaming me.
I offered to pay half of the repair cost.

View attachment 144483
That's the reason I don't like to borrow or loan anything with anyone. Sods law it will get damaged.

motmcd

Mar 5, 2019
reading,pa
My approach: when I borrow anything from friends or family I accept responsibility if I break it, damage it, or lose it, that I’m on the hook financially for costs to make the lender whole. Close relationships aren’t worth losing over material items.

In a recent example, while loading our mtn bikes into my truck after a ride, I forgot to install the brake wedge after removing the front wheel from my buddy’s mtb and, of course, I accidentally squeezed the brake lever. Oh shucks!!

My fault, my fix so I paid my local bike shop to service front and rear brakes by draining and replacing brake fluid, install new pads, and adjust everything to spec.

Cheers!!

Last edited:

motmcd

Mar 5, 2019
reading,pa
I understand your point; however he did spin 5 rides using the battery. Assuming he charged it 5 times, or even one time, it only takes one power spike to damage a battery during charging. And many e-bike riders don’t realize the male charging plug is magnetic and will pic up metal debris if left on the floor, etc. An unrecognized metal shaving can arch across terminals causing damage. I am not saying this is what happened; rather presenting scenarios that raise the specter of fault.

Best to all!!

cream

Dec 6, 2021
Romania
What if you don’t bend it but it breaks ? IMO no battery or motor failure can be put down to a 2hr ride !
You can easily kill a battery if metal debris will stick on battery connector or battery charger. Also, if you wash the bike with high pressure water.

ragetty

Nov 20, 2022
Bad Tölz, Germany
Battery is 3 years old, 150 cycles, about 2,000 miles

View attachment 144483

Some clarity required here methinks:

Can you honestly say it worked fine and charged fine, including before you returned it (to all obviously full?) and now it is not charging on his charger? … and also now not on yours?

If was full when you returned it and only after then did it break, then I view your offer as more than fair.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles