Levo Gen 2 Levo 2019 - Cassette and Chainring Replacement Advice

Faicey

Jul 12, 2021
Gloucester, UK
Afternoon all,

I have the original PG1130 11-42 cassette and 32t chainring on my Levo 2019 Comp, both of which are due replacement.

I've found I sat in the lower end of the cassette, so would like to move up a bit to give me scope to put some more leg power down when the time calls for it.

Digging around the forum and the Internet, the Praxis 36t chainring appears to be a frequent recommendation; would combining that chainring with a SunRace CSMS8 11-46 work on the Levo 2019?

As above, I'm keen to move out the lower end of the cassette, but would ideally like to keep the top end where it is currently, thus I am assuming the larger cassette would make up for the shortfall due as a result of adding a larger chainring?

I'm a novice, so very open to recommendations and advice!

Faicey

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Suggest you check the maximum sprocket your derailleur can handle. There is another thread where someone tried a 46t sprocket and the mech could not be adjusted to handle it.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Suggest you check the maximum sprocket your derailleur can handle. There is another thread where someone tried a 46t sprocket and the mech could not be adjusted to handle it.
Yep, the stock derailleur can't handle the huge range of a 46t. A long cage 12 speed derailleur should work or a new cage from Garbaruk

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Yep, the stock derailleur can't handle the huge range of a 46t. A long cage 12 speed derailleur should work or a new cage from Garbaruk
But 12 speed derailleur would need the same ratio (of cable pull to movement) as the 11 speed it is replacing. My advice would be to do nothing, just ride and enjoy for a few months and then see how the OP feels. PS not sure it is the capacity, but the size of the 46t sprocket that is the problem (Captain Pedant signing off)

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
But 12 speed derailleur would need the same ratio (of cable pull to movement) as the 11 speed it is replacing. My advice would be to do nothing, just ride and enjoy for a few months and then see how the OP feels. PS not sure it is the capacity, but the size of the 46t sprocket that is the problem (Captain Pedant signing off)

As you noted, plus the derailleur/shifter appears to be a matched set with regards to ratios. I changed from a 12 speed to 11 on my Levo SL and needed a new shifter *and* derailleur to get it all to work properly.
I was spending most of my time at the smaller end of the cassette and changed to one with closer ratios to use more of the cogs.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Now that I think about it, you guys are probably right about the cable pull to movement ratio .... makes sense actually!
(y)(y)

Dirk74

Jun 6, 2020
Germany
The SRAM 12speed derailleur will work with 11speed shifter and cassette. Indexing is done by the shifter.
I replaced the derailleur on my 2019 Levo Comp with GX Eagle derailleur after I broke the stock one. Running with Sunrace CSM8 11-46 cassette. Works like a charm.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
The SRAM 12speed derailleur will work with 11speed shifter and cassette. Indexing is done by the shifter.
I replaced the derailleur on my 2019 Levo Comp with GX Eagle derailleur after I broke the stock one. Running with Sunrace CSM8 11-46 cassette. Works like a charm.

My experience did not go as well as yours (I wish it had, would have saved $$). When I went from the Eagle NX cassette to a SRAM 11 speed with SRAM 11 speed NX shifter the Eagle NX derailleur would sometimes not shift/sometimes double shift. I checked the two shifters cable pull and they were different (as expected) but the ratio of the derailleur was also different. When I installed the SRAM 11 speed NX derailleur it shifted perfectly.

I wonder if Eagle NX and GX are slightly different?

Last edited:

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Afternoon all,

I have the original PG1130 11-42 cassette and 32t chainring on my Levo 2019 Comp, both of which are due replacement.

I've found I sat in the lower end of the cassette, so would like to move up a bit to give me scope to put some more leg power down when the time calls for it.

Digging around the forum and the Internet, the Praxis 36t chainring appears to be a frequent recommendation; would combining that chainring with a SunRace CSMS8 11-46 work on the Levo 2019?

As above, I'm keen to move out the lower end of the cassette, but would ideally like to keep the top end where it is currently, thus I am assuming the larger cassette would make up for the shortfall due as a result of adding a larger chainring?

I'm a novice, so very open to recommendations and advice!

Faicey

I considered a 36T Praxis replacement but in the end decided I still used the larger cassette sprockets too much and kept with the 32T. I read though that the existing chain guide won't work with a 36T ring. Whilst I was pondering I had already bought a modified chain guide from a guy in the US who does 3D printing. If you go down the 36T route send me a PM and we could sort something out if it is needed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles