Levo 2018 or 19?

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
Hey guys. Got the itch for an ebike. Looking at the levo's . Question is would it be worth getting a good deal on a left over 18 comp or go for the 19 and spend the extra money? I haven't rode a 19 yet. I rode my buddys wifes 18 around the yard. Wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks. clay

Az.Coop

Jun 18, 2018
Birmingham
Also have a similar question, my local Specialized store have just done a price drop. They have a 2018 Comp Carbon for 4K..
Would you buy that or go for the 2019 base model for 4K?

What would you say Rob, are the 2019 differences Frame/motor/geometry worth more than going for a 2018 Carbon with better parts? As you will have rode similar model

Decisions Decisions ??

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
Also have a similar question, my local Specialized store have just done a price drop. They have a 2018 Comp Carbon for 4K..
Would you buy that or go for the 2019 base model for 4K?

What would you say Rob, are the 2019 differences Frame/motor/geometry worth more than going for a 2018 Carbon with better parts? As you will have rode similar model

Decisions Decisions ??
Carbon comp for 4k? Dang thats tempting for sure.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Hey guys. Got the itch for an ebike. Looking at the levo's . Question is would it be worth getting a good deal on a left over 18 comp or go for the 19 and spend the extra money? I haven't rode a 19 yet. I rode my buddys wifes 18 around the yard. Wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks. clay

Hey mate I don't have a levo but this forum talks alot about them so have read a fair bit. It seems like if your not too fussed on having the latest bike with an added range the definitely the 18 on sale is the way to go. I've read alot of people saying that if you don't go for a higher end model of the levo 19 (which is crazy money) then the 18s are better equipped and ALOT cheaper.

I'm sure someone who owns one or both will soon come along.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I got the 2018 Expert 3 weeks ago. Its a grin making machine. You should have rode that bike a few miles and it just grow and grows on you. The more familiar you get with it, the bigger your grin gets.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
If you are just getting into ebikes for the first time you will not be disappointed at all with any of the 2018 models.

Freeborn cycles are doing a comp carbon for 3900 and the base model for 2800. Call them or Berkshire cycles as they will match pricing.

You will have to pay in full as no finance is available but the service is great and the Specialized warranty cover is second to none

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
I was going for the basic Levo as I had a budget of 4000€ so was prepared to stretch to 4.2 for the basic model. Then the 2019 price went up to 4.5k and i thought no, not for a basic spec bike with the smaller battery.
Ended up with a second hand 2018 carbon comp for 4k, looks like new, battery and motor health at 100% according to mission control app, couldn't be happier with it.
Minus points, the guarantee might be a problem if anything breaks, but the way I look at it is I have a better bike for 500€ less, and the new carbon comp is 6.8K.

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
Thanks for all the reply's guys.. If i can find an 18 in the states that's what i want. Anyone here know of any dealers in the us that have some left over that would ship? Heck i would even be in for a demo if it was in good shape. I will look more when i get off work today. clay

Az.Coop

Jun 18, 2018
Birmingham
If you are just getting into ebikes for the first time you will not be disappointed at all with any of the 2018 models.

Freeborn cycles are doing a comp carbon for 3900 and the base model for 2800. Call them or Berkshire cycles as they will match pricing.

You will have to pay in full as no finance is available but the service is great and the Specialized warranty cover is second to none

Thanks????
I went to the Leisure Lakes w’end event at Cannock Chase in March where we tested various ebikes including the 2018 Levo..loved the bike but wanted to wait for the 2019.
Also loved the feel of the Cannondale Moterra as it felt a lot more agile than the Levo.
Reading the reviews & comments its seems the 2019 is also a lot more agile than the 2018 so I think it may be best to try a demo bike before taking the plunge
?????

Larsey

Feb 4, 2018
MN
The 2018 Levo Base definitely addressed some of the issues the 2017 had (motor cutting out/stalling on steep climbs, clunky shifting, longer travel fork 140 to 150mm and shorter165mm cranks to cut down on pedal strikes). So the switch from 2017 to 2018 was very noticeable and the 2018 is a very dialed ride (I had both).

That being said my 19 Levo Base came in way early and picked it up yesterday. Going for maiden voyage today and will report back while the 2018 is still fresh in my mind.

Last edited:

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
The 2018 Levo Base definitely addressed some of the issues the 2017 had (motor cutting out/stalling on steep climbs, clunky shifting, longer travel fork 140 to 150mm and shorter165mm cranks to cut down on pedal strikes). So the switch from 2017 to 2018 was very noticeable and the 2018 is a very dialed ride (I had both).

That being said my 19 Levo Base came in way early and picked it up yesterday. Going for maiden voyage today and will report back while the 2018 is still fresh in my mind.
Thanks Larsey. Let us know what you think after the ride.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

Post some photos when you can please?

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Same here (as Mike), 2018 Comp Alu, great bike. New ones look nice but such a huge saving to be had for you, buy a 2018 and upgrade in a few years time, when the bikes will be even better (presumably)!

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Same here (as Mike), 2018 Comp Alu, great bike. New ones look nice but such a huge saving to be had for you, buy a 2018 and upgrade in a few years time, when the bikes will be even better (presumably)!
I bought a 2018 a months ago so would recoup a reasonable price if I upgrade now but I think the 700wh battery will trickle down to the lower models next year so I will wait. Maybe place a wanted add on here and you might get lucky with some thing semi local. With all forums there are a lot of readers who are not members so you might find someone who is just browsing. With a few of the manufacturer going big on batteries Specialized will be under a bit more pressure to be competitive on price and spec.

irinotecan

Sep 24, 2018
New York

When was your original delivery date? Mine is early November, and I would be very happy to get an early delivery.

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
I bought a 2018 a months ago so would recoup a reasonable price if I upgrade now but I think the 700wh battery will trickle down to the lower models next year so I will wait. Maybe place a wanted add on here and you might get lucky with some thing semi local. With all forums there are a lot of readers who are not members so you might find someone who is just browsing. With a few of the manufacturer going big on batteries Specialized will be under a bit more pressure to be competitive on price and spec.
Good info appreciate it , I cant do more than 15 miles in a day anyway haha!

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Rob Hancill, over the next few months a lot of us Levo lovers are going to try and go through this equation, before you sell your other bike can you do a side by side comparison (mostly on distance, someone the same weight) between 2018 and 2019? 2019 was a jump but maybe a 2018 is a better option for some and why this would be so.

Larsey

Feb 4, 2018
MN
As promised a little comparison from my ride yesterday on the new 2019 Levo FSR Base and my prior 2018 Levo FSR Base.

About me 52 years old, 5"7.5" with shorter inseam 29" (171.45 cm/73.66cm for my friends across the pond and up north) 185 lbs (83.91 kg). Not a pro rider by any stretch of the imagination but have rode/raced BMX (years ago), motocross and got my first mountain bike in 1986. I love bikes, either riding or wrenching. I have had 5 surgeries/surgical procedures in the last 4 years. I typically work 50 to 52 hrs a week (so limited riding time) I have jumped on the eBike bandwagon as it allows me to keep up with my riding buddies (who are quite a bit younger).

Both are mediums
18 had 60mm stem
19 has 45mm stem

Both bikes are stock with the exception of my ENVE riser and Lizard Skins Grips. I replaced the Q/R axles with bolt-on axles front and rear (18 had rear bolt-on 19 came with rear Q/R)

Tire Pressure:
2018 Plus PSI 16 Front 18 Rear
2019 29er PSI 26 Front 28 Rear (those will come down on next ride)

The first thing that stands out is on the 2019 you have that "in the bike" feeling. 2018 feels more "on the bike". Very noticeable for me.

Cornering on the 2019 was strange at first as the bike wanted to go to the outside of the berm/corner. I am sure it is the difference from the 27.5 Plus to 29. About 5 miles into the ride I was just weighting the inside grip more and it became very "point and shoot". Eventually I was going faster into the turns and trusting the tires. Never washed out/slide out once.

The bike is a little longer now but is easier to wheelie/manual (but still tricky on any eBike).

The 2019 is the most mountain bike feeling eBike I have ever ridden. It really disguises it's weight well.

The new display on the top tube is awesome. I only used Turbo mode for a short section of trail (just to try it) otherwise the whole ride was in the middle setting.

Waterbottle fits better on the 2019 vs the 2018 (important to me because not a huge fan of backpack hydration). Still tight for the large bottle but an improvement.

This is a biggie for me on the 2018 I would get some really nasty pedal strikes about 6 times a ride (normally up-hill on a rocky section). Riding the 2019 yesterday with same pedals and same trails I had 0.

The cable/brake hose routing on the 2019 is superb. This bike is very dialed in. No clutter on the handlebars. 2018 was also nice compared to the competition but the 19 is next level. No key lock for the battery but where I live they would just take the whole bike anyway.

Now the bad...Front Fork...come'on man. The Sektor 32mm fork is garbage/rubbish. The REBA RL that was on the 2018 was super quiet but a little flexy. This thing is so noisy it will make a huge squish noise if you run over a cigarette butt. I figured it would break-in but not yet. I was running 10 psi less than recommended and only getting half travel. I will take out some bottomless tokens, adjust air and try again.

Now for the motor it has two different noises; one that is kind of a low droning sound and the other noise is where you are spinning and need to click a higher gear (the 2018 had the 2nd noise to a certain extent also). In a different thread I was bragging about how quiet the 2018 was and not so much with the 2019. It is not at the level the Shimano Steps8000 was where it reminded me of the wind-up Evel Knievel toy for the 1970's (I had a Scott eSpark 730 for a short period of time).

Overall the motor in the 2019 is much more responsive and had just a great ride. 1st time I put over 20 miles/32.18 km on any bike in one ride. My average ride is 15 miles/24.14 km whether on eBike or standard. I use Strava on private just to record miles and did 35 segments with 21 achievements (9 PRs). Pretty awesome for a first ride with too much air in the tires and fork not dialed.

It might be new bike honeymoon phase but riding what seems like everything over the years this is a hands-down the funniest eBike and maybe my favorite bike of all-time for fit. The noise in the motor kinda sucks and fork does not belong on a 48 lbs/21.77 kg eBike. I will fiddle with the fork but will probably get a Pike for next spring.

Sorry for the long winded review but other than a couple niggles I think the 2019 is head and shoulders above the 2018. Great job Specialized.

2019 Levo.JPG

2019 Levo 1.jpg

2019 Levo 2.jpg

2019 Levo 3.jpg

Levo 4.jpg

scott-usa-e-spark-730.jpg

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Not the same comparison, but I had a customer come in to pick up his new Kenevo a the shop a couple of days ago and he left with a 2019 Levo. Sure he liked the Kenevo, but after he rode the new Levo he couldn’t get past how much better it felt.
D7F49C76-8E63-49C8-9FA2-632C8F17337E.jpeg

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Wow superb review there Larsey .. almost and I say almost, I was near to the end of the write up and I was contemplating I need to part chop!!!
Good stuff fella (y)

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
Not the same comparison, but I had a customer come in to pick up his new Kenevo a the shop a couple of days ago and he left with a 2019 Levo. Sure he liked the Kenevo, but after he rode the new Levo he couldn’t get past how much better it felt.
View attachment 5624
View attachment 5624
Wow! Sure you dont work for a bike magazine? haha, Thanks for the awesome comparison
As promised a little comparison from my ride yesterday on the new 2019 Levo FSR Base and my prior 2018 Levo FSR Base.

About me 52 years old, 5"7.5" with shorter inseam 29" (171.45 cm/73.66cm for my friends across the pond and up north) 185 lbs (83.91 kg). Not a pro rider by any stretch of the imagination but have rode/raced BMX (years ago), motocross and got my first mountain bike in 1986. I love bikes, either riding or wrenching. I have had 5 surgeries/surgical procedures in the last 4 years. I typically work 50 to 52 hrs a week (so limited riding time) I have jumped on the eBike bandwagon as it allows me to keep up with my riding buddies (who are quite a bit younger).

Both are mediums
18 had 60mm stem
19 has 45mm stem

Both bikes are stock with the exception of my ENVE riser and Lizard Skins Grips. I replaced the Q/R axles with bolt-on axles front and rear (18 had rear bolt-on 19 came with rear Q/R)

Tire Pressure:

The first thing that stands out is on the 2019 you have that "in the bike" feeling. 2018 feels more "on the bike". Very noticeable for me.

Cornering on the 2019 was strange at first as the bike wanted to go to the outside of the berm/corner. I am sure it is the difference from the 27.5 Plus to 29. About 5 miles into the ride I was just weighting the inside grip more and it became very "point and shoot". Eventually I was going faster into the turns and trusting the tires. Never washed out/slide out once.

The bike is a little longer now but is easier to wheelie/manual (but still tricky on any eBike).

The 2019 is the most mountain bike feeling eBike I have ever ridden. It really disguises it's weight well.

The new display on the top tube is awesome. I only used Turbo mode for a short section of trail (just to try it) otherwise the whole ride was in the middle setting.

Waterbottle fits better on the 2019 vs the 2018 (important to me because not a huge fan of backpack hydration). Still tight for the large bottle but an improvement.

This is a biggie for me on the 2018 I would get some really nasty pedal strikes about 6 times a ride (normally up-hill on a rocky section). Riding the 2019 yesterday with same pedals and same trails I had 0.

The cable/brake hose routing on the 2019 is superb. This bike is very dialed in. No clutter on the handlebars. 2018 was also nice compared to the competition but the 19 is next level. No key lock for the battery but where I live they would just take the whole bike anyway.

Now the bad...Front Fork...come'on man. The Sektor 32mm fork is garbage/rubbish. The REBA RL that was on the 2018 was super quiet but a little flexy. This thing is so noisy it will make a huge squish noise if you run over a cigarette butt. I figured it would break-in but not yet. I was running 10 psi less than recommended and only getting half travel. I will take out some bottomless tokens, adjust air and try again.

Now for the motor it has two different noises; one that is kind of a low droning sound and the other noise is where you are spinning and need to click a higher gear (the 2018 had the 2nd noise to a certain extent also). In a different thread I was bragging about how quiet the 2018 was and not so much with the 2019. It is not at the level the Shimano Steps8000 was where it reminded me of the wind-up Evel Knievel toy for the 1970's (I had a Scott eSpark 730 for a short period of time).

Overall the motor in the 2019 is much more responsive and had just a great ride. 1st time I put over 20 miles/32.18 km on any bike in one ride. My average ride is 15 miles/24.14 km whether on eBike or standard. I use Strava on private just to record miles and did 35 segments with 21 achievements (9 PRs). Pretty awesome for a first ride with too much air in the tires and fork not dialed.

It might be new bike honeymoon phase but riding what seems like everything over the years this is a hands-down the funniest eBike and maybe my favorite bike of all-time for fit. The noise in the motor kinda sucks and fork does not belong on a 48 lbs/21.77 kg eBike. I will fiddle with the fork but will probably get a Pike for next spring.

Sorry for the long winded review but other than a couple niggles I think the 2019 is head and shoulders above the 2018. Great job Specialized.

View attachment 5618

View attachment 5619

View attachment 5620

View attachment 5621

View attachment 5622

Stellar write up!!!!!! Damnt now i want a 19 haha. I have a guy calling with a price on a 18 comp and a 19. I"ll report back tomorrow and let everyone know what he said. Thanks again! clay

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia

Both are mediums
18 had 60mm stem
19 has 45mm stem

Tire Pressure:

View attachment 5618

View attachment 5619

Both are mediums
18 had 60mm stem
19 has 45mm stem

Tire Pressure:

View attachment 5618

View attachment 5619

View attachment 5620

View attachment 5621

View attachment 5622

View attachment 5623
Great review !!! Damn't now i want a 19 haha. I have a guy calling me tomorrow with some prices for a 18and 19 comp alum. I'll let yall know what he says. thanks again .clay

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Not long winded at all, Great detailed review and thank you for posting the photos!

That colour is definitely growing on me ?

Did you weigh the bike yourself?

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
Decisions decisions, Alright guys my guy called me back today with some pricing.. 2018 levo comp alum.. $4400 shipped to my door and has been converted to tubeless. Am about to pull the trigger on this one.. What yall think?

Taiga

Sep 6, 2018
Canada
Decisions decisions, Alright guys my guy called me back today with some pricing.. 2018 levo comp alum.. $4400 shipped to my door and has been converted to tubeless. Am about to pull the trigger on this one.. What yall think?
Bought exactly the same a month ago for 5700 Cdn which is about the same. Just love it ,,,,and at this price..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles