LETS SEE YOUR RIDE FOOTAGE

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
What cameras are you guys using? I had a quick look at Go Pro cameras and almost fainted when I saw the price :eek:
go pro hero 9 black here. I love the image stabilisation but it's still a trade off between field of view/resolution and battery life. In terms of stroage space it's not too much of an issue as i have a 256gb memory card in it. And recently bought an extra 2 batteries. Generally i get about 60-90 mins to a battery at 4k/30 with hypersmooth (non boost). 1080p/30 if i side mount it on the helmet for instagram posts.

I played around with a cheap action cam first but as soon as the going got rough the image was unwatchable. The gopro with the right settings can make the rowdiest trail about look like a snooker table.

the insta360 is also very cool if you want to play with the angle you want to show in the final video, especially if you are riding with others.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
What cameras are you guys using? I had a quick look at Go Pro cameras and almost fainted when I saw the price :eek:

GoPro Hero8 here. The image stabilization is very important with mountain biking, can't really get good footage without it. I had Akaso camera before and the Gopro is miles better and imo worth the price if you really wan't to get into filming your rides.

I don't think GoPro hero 8 is that expensive (329€) considering the cost of a modern ebike north of 5000€.

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Here's mine from Yesterday using the GoPro Max in Hero mode. the stabilization and the option to do 360 videos made this the best value camera out there. The only small downside that I've not factored out yet is the wind noise which I can on my normal GoPro's that I use a foam housing around.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Here's a very nice route around Balmacara in the Scottish Highlands. It's just before you get to the Skye Bridge. Very scenic. Enjoy a bit of escapism....

Do you put a camera down, ride down filming yourself then ride back up?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Saturday Session on the Status 160 and discovering new trails and lines.
Funnily enough, I was the only person not on an eebs. Still had fun though ?

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Do you put a camera down, ride down filming yourself then ride back up?

Sometimes yes. It does take a bit of time, but I think it adds to the feel of it all which is what I’m trying to get across. I’ll usually have 3 cameras with me - a GoPro 8 on a chest mount, the drone, and a compact Fuji X100V with a teeny tripod that I can put up a tree or wherever.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
this weekends attempt. building up to bike park wales. almost all the brake squeaking is the leveo behind me ?

At some point when i get the hang of all this editing malarky i'm going to try and get other people to film me going along/have some static cameras just to mix it up a bit. To be honest it mostly started as me just wanting a log of everything i did to look back at.

Last edited:

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Another one from north west Scotland for you. This is a cracking loop from Balmacara to the lovely seaside village of Plockton. It's mainly single track, fairly techie in parts, but otherwise just a gorgeous chilled out cross country tour through beautiful scenery.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Another one from north west Scotland for you. This is a cracking loop from Balmacara to the lovely seaside village of Plockton. It's mainly single track, fairly techie in parts, but otherwise just a gorgeous chilled out cross country tour through beautiful scenery.

what do use to comunicate, that works really well

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
what do use to comunicate, that works really well

I'm using a Rode Wireless Go II mic setup. This is a single receiver that plugs into the GoPro that has the Media Mod installed, and two transmitters. The transmitters clip onto anything, and have a wind muffler ("dead cat") that kills wind noise. The mic batteries last for 7 hours so I just leave them on, so when I press the GoPro shutter button there's nothing else to do.

I'm really pleased with them - it makes for a very nice, simple setup, though there is an occasional slight sync problem that I need to figure out.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
So do you need the media mod or could use the wireless mikes on the MAX (which doesn't have a media mod as far as I'm aware)
I douse a normal GoPro as well but i prefer the MAX.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
So do you need the media mod or could use the wireless mikes on the MAX (which doesn't have a media mod as far as I'm aware)
I douse a normal GoPro as well but i prefer the MAX.

You need to plug the 3.5mm jack cable from the receiver into the GoPro which, for the Hero8, means you need the media mod. Not sure about the Max I'm afraid. There might be a 3rd party option for connecting an external mic.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
You need to plug the 3.5mm jack cable from the receiver into the GoPro which, for the Hero8, means you need the media mod. Not sure about the Max I'm afraid. There might be a 3rd party option for connecting an external mic.
Cheers I'll do some reading.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Bit of a weird one. Go pro angle was all over the place on a bunch of the clips rendering that footage useless (unless you like to watch the ground go by) and i managed to pick up a puncture on the way. Regardless, it's the weekly attempt to play about with editing and try to make something bordering on watchable.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Bit of a weird one. Go pro angle was all over the place on a bunch of the clips rendering that footage useless (unless you like to watch the ground go by) and i managed to pick up a puncture on the way. Regardless, it's the weekly attempt to play about with editing and try to make something bordering on watchable.

what mount are you using and what camera resolution?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles