Let’s Be Careful Out There - Cannock Chase Mugging

Oct 22, 2020
California
Dudes I don't know why it's like that but I encounter the same thing with motorcycles.

I've been riding sport bikes for over 20 years but the unwritten rule is that you stick with your kind because the die hard Harley clubs/gents don't like "rice rockets". However, I do see that the younger generation are more compliant to change and are mixing Japanese cruisers/sport bikes and American cruisers into their groups.

In short, stick or hang out with your own kind but sadly luckily I prefer the company of my dogs.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Always "interesting" when the description of assailants fails to give anyone any chance of identifying them!! One in a helmet and one with a baseball cap and bandana. Now let me think...why does anyone wear a bandana in the UK??

Whilst many bemoan the 25kph/nomimal 250w classification of pedelecs in Europe it does at least make it clear to all authorities that these E Bikes are bicycles. In the US E bikes were classed as motor vehicles right up to October of last year giving managers of public land every excuse to ban them and in the process encourage what ( from posts above) appears to be an incredibly intolerant club/gang culture.

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
So any explanation on how this actually happened? I wouldnt stop for 2 dodgy looking blokes, in fact i wouldnt stop for anyone so assuming they arent either on bikes themselves or on a motor bike they ain't catching me. Unless there standing directly in front of you and you cant turn around. I dont have insurance as im not paying more to insure my bike than i do my car however i wouldn't hand it over either i would rather get a kick in than do that.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I really dont know what I would do in this situation ..Ive heard all the cliches about better to be a "live coward than a dead hero" ..but Im not someone who backs down easily ...if I was threatened with a weapon that would most probably make my mind up ..if not ..who knows ..?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
This is easy money for the criminals, hang out in an area popular with cyclists, wait for a lone rider to appear, and voila, four thousand pounds (or more) in your pocket when it sells on any popular auction site.
Most bikes are untraceable and the criminals know that the police most likely won't pursue it.
The question is
What do we do about it? l have to admit it worries me as l almost always ride alone, often on trails miles from the nearest human being.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The first rule of self defence is awareness. I am not suggesting a constant state of high alert but it is not uncommon these days for people to be unaware of what is happening around them................head buried in a smart phone, ability to hear neutralised by wearing ear buds, or maybe just a lack of "radar" for something or someone that could pose a threat.

Feb 3, 2021
UK
So any explanation on how this actually happened? I wouldnt stop for 2 dodgy looking blokes, in fact i wouldnt stop for anyone so assuming they arent either on bikes themselves or on a motor bike they ain't catching me. Unless there standing directly in front of you and you cant turn around. I dont have insurance as im not paying more to insure my bike than i do my car however i wouldn't hand it over either i would rather get a kick in than do that.
Not much details, just 2 men stole the mans Cube E bike off him.

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 01-13-56 Facebook.png

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
It’s tricky. I was approached in BandQ car park a few weeks ago. Perfectly innocent request for a jump start. I helped the guy out, he was grateful and I went on my way.
Driving off I was furious with myself. I never even registered it could have been a set up or a diversion tactic.
So yes, awareness is the key.

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
We've started carrying a bottle of lemon juice around with us when walking the dog. - With us having a small dog she is seen by some other dogs as a toy so the idea to squirt it in the eyes of someone is an option. Plus its not a weapon!

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
I really dont know what I would do in this situation ..Ive heard all the cliches about better to be a "live coward than a dead hero" ..but Im not someone who backs down easily ...if I was threatened with a weapon that would most probably make my mind up ..if not ..who knows ..?
You could take a few photos of them?
this sort of thing is going to happen more frequently so forums like this that give people the opportunity to ride with others, even if it’s the first time you’ve met them, is a great idea. The recent Dentdale is a good example.?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It’s tricky. I was approached in BandQ car park a few weeks ago. Perfectly innocent request for a jump start. I helped the guy out, he was grateful and I went on my way.
Driving off I was furious with myself. I never even registered it could have been a set up or a diversion tactic.
So yes, awareness is the key.
Fair enough if you had actually made a judgement. We can all be fooled of course ....no strategy is perfect! The bonus you learned from that experience is that you now have greater awareness which will guide you next time.

I understand people's natural reaction to resort to some sort of weapon to provide security. It should however be a last resort.

If awareness is the first step in self defence, the second is being prepared. ....................and top of the list in terms of defence strategies are avoidance and flight.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
@JetSedgwick In the American movies that we see in the UK, the police always turn out in force for just about anything. Never less than two armed officers for even a noise complaint! In the UK, you can get high definition CCTV evidence of the perpetrators, car number plates etc and all you get is a crime number so that you can lodge a claim with your insurance company. Yet they never seem to be lacking in numbers for "hate crimes" which in this country can be perceived as one, therefore they are one; even if they do not meet the legal definition of an actual crime. It appears that anything "woke" is OK, even violent protests. For example the mob in Bristol that demolished and defaced a statue and tipped it in the river, were not hindered by the police who were in attendance.
oh shut up you old goat ?
Take the BLM protest in London , before the Churchill statue was boxed up for protection and all the papers were says “ it’s a effing disgrace we have to protect statues and they should be jailed for defacing any “. NO statues were defaced !
Chelsea won the football and fans defaced Churchill and not a thing in the papers WTF !
Also defund the police and these things happen !!

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
These are my weapons for: long distance, short range and full contact, in this order:
View attachment 65986
You'd be locked up quicker than the bike thieves just for having that on you. You in fact could have caught the crims. you'd get arrested and their details would have been taken down and let go. (in the area that this was stolen)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So any explanation on how this actually happened? I wouldnt stop for 2 dodgy looking blokes, in fact i wouldnt stop for anyone so assuming they arent either on bikes themselves or on a motor bike they ain't catching me. Unless there standing directly in front of you and you cant turn around.

I dont have insurance as im not paying more to insure my bike than i do my car however i wouldn't hand it over either i would rather get a kick in than do that.
See that’s where guys like you get stabbed one day by thinking you’ll just get a good hiding only…..I don’t agree with @Doomanic about just handing over either, often thieves will pick there fights so if you stand up a little they might piss off….

I mean christ I’m in a knox urban pro top, helmet, knee pads….yeah I’ll have a fight with someone when I’m armoured no probs ???

regarding sprays, there is a dog spray that I think is legal, it’s not a bad one to have with you tbf anyway as some of our canine friends don’t like emtb either from what I gather and also try to mug us!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Proper lol here at the heroes saying they'd have a go :p

Each to there own but not defending yourself is weird to me and why discourage it? Should all emtb guys be these pathetic specimens who just simply hand over 7k bikes, if anything that behaviour will just encourage this more so? I know women who have fought off guys before who gave up because they weren’t going to have an easy time of it……

if your alone you stay vigilant and bypass groups of scrotes etc, sad to say but I screen anyone on foot before I come close to them and I also check they can’t push me over as I pass. Ideally never ride on your own or make yourself vulnerable.

Dooms right though it poses risks but no more then someone like me riding the bike in the first place which probably has a higher risk of killing me than a knife welding scrote?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I was suggesting ways in which you can potentially avoid a confrontation. If however that is unavoidable it becomes a new ball game and "Rambo" is not a good role model.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Each to there own but not defending yourself is weird to me and why discourage it? Should all emtb guys be these pathetic specimens who just simply hand over 7k bikes.

If someone where to try to steal my bike then I cant say 100% how I would react. In the past as I mention I wasn't afraid to stand up for what was mine. But it's important to provide a balanced argument not just willy waving.

I have 3 dependants and don't feel like sh*tting in a bag the rest of my life because some low IQ scrot doesn't value life whether it's there own or yours.
or
Start battering the guy you have to be prepared to take it to conclusion. Suddenly your on the news for clipping some guy who's turned out to be over sized 15yearold with ADHD and all his family holding a photo on him age 9 looking like an angle swearing he couldn't harm a fly.

If you have a knife you have to understand the moment you pull it out your choice whether or not you use it is then determined by the actions of the other guy.

All said and done: Avoidance>Awareness>Judgement>Insurance

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
You'd be locked up quicker than the bike thieves just for having that on you. You in fact could have caught the crims. you'd get arrested and their details would have been taken down and let go. (in the area that this was stolen)
And I agree with this policy, fully hearted, am all against guns.
Those weapons I use only to protect me and my dog from dog attacks, and carry then only when I take the dog because other dogs get more agressive.
I would hand the bike to a thieve without resistance or arguing, though. Even if the criminal does not show a gun I will presume he has someone covering him.
That said, prudence is my defense and I will turn and run whenever I feel there is danger ahead.
Whenever I meet a person or a group that tries to stop me I will keep going as fast as possible and cry its a race and there’s 50 bikers chasing me.
Else, this is also my point of view: Avoidance>Awareness>Judgement>Insurance

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles