kiox fault code 503

ohampel

Jan 4, 2021
israel
hey all
a week ago i visited my mechanic shop in order to take care of some noise coming from the chain.
while testing the bike [ORBEA WILD SF] the mechanic took the bike for a ride and applied some brake against pedal.
he came back with this fault code. error 503 - speed sensor fault.
he checked the speed sensor - all ok.
when i took the bike for a test - no faults. he then checked the bike again - brake vs pedal and the error came again.
we ended up with the thought that the error has to do only when you apply hard braking against pedal+engine power.
had a few rides since with no issues.
this morning took the bike for a ride and just as started [no braking] the error 503 appeared. that was when i used the low assistance [econ].
did a reset and at the next assistance level [tour] engine power was a little erratic.
did another reset and since then all was ok.

does that sounds familiar to anyone?

thanks Oran

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Is the speed sensor magnet correctly aligned with the speed sensor?

Theres a section in the bosch manual that tells you how to align the magnet, have a read of it.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I was having speed sensor issues on my bike, so replaced the speed sensor, as they're not expensive. When the mechanic changed it, he said that the motor area was full of water/ mud/ sand/ sludge, which would be more likely to cause the issue. He cleaned it out, and I make sure that I clean it out at lest once a week when the trails are really muddy, so have a look and see if you've got any wet mud or sand in there.

ohampel

Jan 4, 2021
israel
Is the speed sensor magnet correctly aligned with the speed sensor?

Theres a section in the bosch manual that tells you how to align the magnet, have a read of it.

thanks. the speed sensor checked for alignment - ok
the mud / send may be the cause. will check

ohampel

Jan 4, 2021
israel
hello all
so, yesterday I visited my e-bike mechanic.
connecting the Kiox to the bosch software confirmed the error [code 503, speed sensor].
he erased the error and then checked the magnet [against the speed sensor]. that was ok [alignment and distance]
he then opened the engine plastic cover and checked the speed sensor wire connection.
over there all was relatively clean. no water or mud.
he disconnected the wire and cleaned the plug anyway.
no error code at the moment, but that promises nothing..
he ordered from the dealer a new speed sensor.

that's so far

will keep updating

Oran

ohampel

Jan 4, 2021
israel
so
the speed sensor issue still persists
every new ride starts with the error 503 and it takes a few resets to fix it.
the new sensor is on the way..

a week ago i thought that there might be a mechanical issue with the sensor.
so, when the error code appeared i kicked the rear fork a few times and, the error was gone. since than - al ok

for a living i fly a B787.
we use the say that the tech guys fix 50% of the malfunctions with WD40 and the other half with a 5Kg hammer..

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
we use the say that the tech guys fix 50% of the malfunctions with WD40 and the other half with a 5Kg hammer..

If it moves, but its not supposed to then cable ties (or duct tape)are the answer.

If it doesnt move, but it should, then WD40 is the answer.

ohampel

Jan 4, 2021
israel
my thought was that it may be something mechanical within the speed sensor that might got stuck [due moisture..?]

Andrewscube

Jan 9, 2021
Oxfordshire
My sons bosch speed sensor went faulty, every time we got error 503 I hit the sensor with the handle end of a screw drive it would start working so he could ride the bike for that day. New sensor now fitted no fault codes so far.

Stuckthrottle

Jan 24, 2021
San Diego
I'm having the same problem with my 2021 wild FS. Took it to the shop, they did a firmware update, tested it, and called it good. Drove it home and issue is obviously still there. Shop told me they've seen a few of these issues and are waiting to hear back from Orbea for a permanent fix. Anyone here have any tips. I haven't been able to ride it in months now. It's worse than having a deposit on a new bike waiting for delivery, i have the bike here and cat ride it. 🤦‍♂️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles