Kiox bluetooth range

shamrock

Sep 19, 2023
Finland
Does anyone else have issues with the Bluetooth range of the Kiox unit? Often when I have my phone in the pocket of my cargo pants, it will not find the phone. Difficult in the summer if you just want to wear a t-shirt. If I take a break and step more than a meter from my bike, it will lose connection. All my other bluetooth devices work at home for like 5-10 metres, I can leave my phone whereever I like and my Garmin watch will alert, so the problem is not with the phone. The bike is a Canyon Precede:ON 8 CF, carbon fiber frame and cockpit so that should not create any obstacle. And also, this frame really doesn't have a good place for a phone case. I've tried a few but they really don't fit or stay where I would like them to.

No problem if I'm wearing a jacket and the phone is in a chest pocket. The distance is the same, but it looks like the phone has to be above the Kiox unit. And there's also a little hint for an upgrade for Bosch. When the app is running in the phone, and the connection is lost while recording a trip, why doesn't it keep the fucking GPS on? All the data needed would be in the phone, and in the Kiox unit, until they sync again, but for some stupid reason Bosch has designed it so, that the phone has to send all the data real time to the Kiox unit, and then download it back.

shamrock

Sep 19, 2023
Finland
What model is the Kiox? Where is the Kiox mounted? I’m not familiar with your bike's cockpit setup.
My eBike Connect app shows Kiox 1596, but I think it's as BUI330. At least looks similar. This it where it's installed.
Canyon-Precede-On-Review-Display-Gear.jpeg

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
Did you say that it was pushing you to upgrade to a newer release? The product manager in me is betting that they are "incenting" you to upgrade by messing with the Bluetooth radio. Since they have control over the Bluetooth stack, they could easily implement protocols that restrict connections to certain distances under certain conditions (i.e., when a update is available that they want you to install or if you skipped X number of updates). This might not be the case but it's probable if this is a new challenge and you haven't crashed or otherwise damaged the Kiox recently.

shamrock

Sep 19, 2023
Finland
I've had this for a year and a half, and have received no updates during this period. Just checked them a week ago, tells me I have the lastest version. I have had some kind of issues with that from the beginning, but first I thought it was with the app rights on the phone. After I had checked and doubled checked all the background running rights, and found out that it even happens if I have the eBike Connect app literally open, I realized it is about the distance or direction to the Kiox.

At the moment I have a Motorola Edge 30 Neo. But like said, no issues with other bt devices. My Garmin Fenix 7 for example easily works on that 5-10 meter range.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles