• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Kenevo SL wobbly crank arm - repairable or not

joshtammi

Oct 5, 2023
Australia
So I went to go diagnose a pedal being a bit grindy today and realise my actual whole crank is loose on the drive side, such that it wobbles perpendicular to the rotational axis.

I thought maybe the crank came loose but it was tight to 50nm. So I removed it and found the actual bolt with the thread inside the crank is wobbly - is the fix as simple as just tightening that other part of the crank with the cassette tool to hold the bolt in place?

Unfortunately it’s one of the tools I don’t have so I can’t test it, plus it’s a Sunday here and LBS are all closed. I was hoping to go for a ride today :(

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Just out of curiosity, what model year KSL's are having this issue? Looks like a 2022 or 2023 Expert in original post. Earlier was mention of a "batch" of KSL'S the issue affected...would be nice to know the manufacture dates or series of serial numbers potentially affected...imagine yours is out of warranty (like mine) and this happens...then what?

I have no problem accepting and paying for something I've worn out over a long period of time, but a manufacturing error that comes up later out-of-warranty...that is BS. There should be a recall in that case.

joshtammi

Oct 5, 2023
Australia
Just out of curiosity, what model year KSL's are having this issue? Looks like a 2022 or 2023 Expert in original post. Earlier was mention of a "batch" of KSL'S the issue affected...would be nice to know the manufacture dates or series of serial numbers potentially affected...imagine yours is out of warranty (like mine) and this happens...then what?

I have no problem accepting and paying for something I've worn out over a long period of time, but a manufacturing error that comes up later out-of-warranty...that is BS. There should be a recall in that case.
I purchased mine mid 2023. 1.1 KSL Expert.

Can’t get the serial number until the bike comes back for a manufacturer date though sorry.

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA

I can only tell you when I purchased mine. Jan 2023.

Darko138

Apr 1, 2024
Missouri, USA
I have the exact same crank "wobble" issue on my KSL Comp that went through 4 Paris of cranks, a motor replacement and a rear hub in about 320 miles. I am neither a harsh big sender rider nor overly fat for an American (6'-3" and 225lbs. in full kit). Specialized warrantied my frameset and replaced the stock wheels last month. I lucked out and got the S-works frameset and Roval wheels since they didn't have any of the other models in size: S5. So far (60 miles) the carbon cranks have stayed tight. Fingers-crossed they hold.

I would say keep pushing to have the big "S" make it right for you and have your LBS document all warranty claims, how long you have to wait to get parts, etc.

Has anyone tried the FORX's Crank arms?

joshtammi

Oct 5, 2023
Australia
Hey
I have the exact same crank "wobble" issue on my KSL Comp that went through 4 Paris of cranks, a motor replacement and a rear hub in about 320 miles. I am neither a harsh big sender rider nor overly fat for an American (6'-3" and 225lbs. in full kit). Specialized warrantied my frameset and replaced the stock wheels last month. I lucked out and got the S-works frameset and Roval wheels since they didn't have any of the other models in size: S5. So far (60 miles) the carbon cranks have stayed tight. Fingers-crossed they hold.

I would say keep pushing to have the big "S" make it right for you and have your LBS document all warranty claims, how long you have to wait to get parts, etc.

Has anyone tried the FORX's Crank arms?
Hey mate,

Specialized replaced the motor and cranks and that solved the issue, but reading on here and other places that it seems to be a possible recurring problem meant I just sold the bike and bought a Trek Rail instead, which has been mostly flawless.

Darko138

Apr 1, 2024
Missouri, USA
Hey

Hey mate,

Specialized replaced the motor and cranks and that solved the issue, but reading on here and other places that it seems to be a possible recurring problem meant I just sold the bike and bought a Trek Rail instead, which has been mostly flawless.
I ended up selling mine as well soon after it was the frame was replace. I did get a few rides in before and it did feel like the carbon cranks were better than the cheaper alloy version, I just didn't want run the chance of more issues.
On to the next bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles