Kenevo dilemma..

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
The bike is a 2020 comp, had new motor and a wiring loom under warranty in March24

Forks make a clicky n slightly crunchy noise if i rock bike with front brake on
Probably needs new frame bearings, never been changed
Dropper needs a good service
Drive chain needs attention, original der might need replacing, new cassette too prolly
Bike makes a lot of rattley noises when on the bumpy stuff, kind of annoying and would be nice to fix it!
Brakes maybe need replacements/upgrade

If anyone has the knowledge to go thru this with me and have a think if its worth chucking quite a lot of money at the bike or sell it cheap n save for a newer one, i would really appreciate some professional honest feedback, folks =)

Many thanks in advance =) =)

GeordieKenevo

May 12, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
The bike is a 2020 comp, had new motor and a wiring loom under warranty in March24

Forks make a clicky n slightly crunchy noise if i rock bike with front brake on
Probably needs new frame bearings, never been changed
Dropper needs a good service
Drive chain needs attention, original der might need replacing, new cassette too prolly
Bike makes a lot of rattley noises when on the bumpy stuff, kind of annoying and would be nice to fix it!
Brakes maybe need replacements/upgrade

If anyone has the knowledge to go thru this with me and have a think if its worth chucking quite a lot of money at the bike or sell it cheap n save for a newer one, i would really appreciate some professional honest feedback, folks =)

Many thanks in advance =) =)
Depends what you think cheap is selling it as is but if a potential buyer notices a lot of that I wouldn't expect more than £2500 max.

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Depends what you think cheap is selling it as is but if a potential buyer notices a lot of that I wouldn't expect more than £2500 max.
Ah yea, i know that in poor condition im not to expect more than what you quoted for it, but its probably isnt as bad as ive made out, some of these might be kinda simple fixes, plus i do enjoy the bike so if it wasnt gonna be too expensive to get it back to a sweet and quiet bike id prolly just do that...Not sure on how much it would all cost and ive lost confidence in my LBS as last few times its been in they havent been the best for 50quid an hour imo =/

Im wondering how much it all might cost, i recon no more than £500?

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Can you see the forks flexing, or feel any play in the headset?

DIY maybe, assuming the forks aren’t knackered.
No play in headset or flex, i think its just neglect, maybe need new oil or something? I just spoke with a reputable bike shop who said fork might need to go back to Fox or Raceready sus for a rehaul n could cost £250 (ouch)

Id like to see the bike going nice again and think it may cost more like £700/800 now but thats not too bad to have it all working properly again???????

Im useless at fixing mtb's i wasnt that good at fixing my bmx's lol

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Normally the movement and sound your describing would be headset, have you stripped them to see if their moving freely/not cracked? I actually cracked a lower cup on my levo once and it gave a creak similar to your description.

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Normally the movement and sound your describing would be headset, have you stripped them to see if their moving freely/not cracked? I actually cracked a lower cup on my levo once and it gave a creak similar to your description.
Stripped the forks?

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
sorry i meant stripped the headset got the bearings fully out checked for wear/movement/damage etc.
No I havent stripped it ever but just been out n had a wiggle and you are right there is some noise coming from the headset, a definite creaky cracky sound, so maybe thats just some new headset bearings and not the forks or the front brake....Bmx was oh so simple when compared to the madness that is emtb, no brakes n rigid forks, innertubes n single speed, christ what was i doing when decided to venture into the mtb market =/

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Nope, should just sit

I recently changed my Lads Levo's headset bearings,

Just need to make a note of what comes out in what order and reverse it on fitting

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Neat trick for specialized head set bearings. I use electric tape ( trim off exercise)on the part of the bearings that makes contact with the bearings cups in the frame, this tightens up the tolerances between the frame and the bearings. People try to fill this area with grease but grease moves around.

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Neat trick for specialized head set bearings. I use electric tape ( trim off exercise)on the part of the bearings that makes contact with the bearings cups in the frame, this tightens up the tolerances between the frame and the bearings. People try to fill this area with grease but grease moves around.
that sounds interesting but im not sure i fully get you? can you explain in laymans terms please =)

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Nope, should just sit

I recently changed my Lads Levo's headset bearings,

Just need to make a note of what comes out in what order and reverse it on fitting
Nice1 geez, and yea im terrible for forgetting the way i took stuff out n sometimes end up with spare bits n pieces or terrible fittings n wonky workmanship =P

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Nice1 geez, and yea im terrible for forgetting the way i took stuff out n sometimes end up with spare bits n pieces or terrible fittings n wonky workmanship =P

I was going to suggest you learn to do these things yourself and save a ton of money. But if you can't muster the discipline to be precise in your workmanship, then you'll forever be at the mercy of the Bike Store Boys. Even if you sell the bike and buy a new one, it will require maintenance to keep it in working order.

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
I was going to suggest you learn to do these things yourself and save a ton of money. But if you can't muster the discipline to be precise in your workmanship, then you'll forever be at the mercy of the Bike Store Boys. Even if you sell the bike and buy a new one, it will require maintenance to keep it in working order.
Yes, well, I am useless are gear (i do try) adjustment, fork and shock servicing i wouldnt have a clue or the tools, i struggle with tyres even, havent tried putting the sealant in yet but im sure that would be fun and didnt try brake bleeds yet either, bearings hmmm (we shall see) with the headset, wouldnt try pressing those frame bearings in thou, but i do agree it would be great to save a ton of cash for nicer parts, better tools and a bike stand and a light in the shed as its kinda dark in there =)

Last edited:

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Yes, well, I am useless are gear (i do try) adjustment, fork and shock servicing i wouldnt have a clue or the tools, i struggle with tyres even, havent tried putting the sealant in yet but im sure that would be fun and didnt try brake bleeds yet either, bearings hmmm (we shall see) with the headset, wouldnt try pressing those frame bearings in thou, but i do agree it would be great to save a ton of cash for nicer parts, better tools and a bike stand and a light in the shed as its kinda dark in there =)

Cheap workstand, a decent set of Allen keys, a 1/4” torque wrench kit will run you to about £100

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Cheap workstand, a decent set of Allen keys, a 1/4” torque wrench kit will run you to about £100
I have a 25nm wrench, some allen and torx keys, just need the stand, the knowledge and some extra patience!

Reactions: Dax

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Im just not the best at the techy work, the other day had a puncture, first in a tubeless tyre ever, getting the tyre off was tuff but even with some nice Pedros tyre levers i managed to ruin the rim tape getting the tyre off it was a bit of a wrestling match, its got an innertube in for now but im debating having a go at the sealant, rim tape and inflator job, im sure i will fuck it up and it will get messy but i suppose thats the only way im gonna learn =/

Giox

Aug 4, 2020
Switzerland/Italy
Im just not the best at the techy work, the other day had a puncture, first in a tubeless tyre ever, getting the tyre off was tuff but even with some nice Pedros tyre levers i managed to ruin the rim tape getting the tyre off it was a bit of a wrestling match, its got an innertube in for now but im debating having a go at the sealant, rim tape and inflator job, im sure i will fuck it up and it will get messy but i suppose thats the only way im gonna learn =/
That's how you learn, by making mistakes. Might be a bit more expensive short term as you need either try and try many times, but what you break and end up getting to the bike shop anyway, but with a lot of patience and youtube videos you'll eventually learn and save a lot of money. Tubeless tyres can be temoved pretty painlessly, just push all the borders of the tyre to the center of the rim, when done you should even be able to remove them without levers

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
That's how you learn, by making mistakes. Might be a bit more expensive short term as you need either try and try many times, but what you break and end up getting to the bike shop anyway, but with a lot of patience and youtube videos you'll eventually learn and save a lot of money. Tubeless tyres can be temoved pretty painlessly, just push all the borders of the tyre to the center of the rim, when done you should even be able to remove them without levers
Thank you for the tip, I will try when i put the new tyre on not to fuck it up completely hopefully be able to put the sealant and rim tape in etc and save myself 25quid minimum =)

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I feel your pain, I hate working on bikes, feels like a real faff. But I also hate paying bike shops for crappy work. Luckily I’ve found a LBS with a really decent mechanic, but the £50/hr still bites.

It’s not hard to retape a rim, quite often the factory tape is very fragile. Easier with two people, one holding/turning wheel and another pushing the tape down.

Headset and frame bearings are a job I cba to do.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Try this, sit down with YouTube and start searching, you will find some total crap but there really good info on there.

Mostly total crap to be fair. Idiots desperately stringing out 30s of content out to 20mins so they can get the ad revenue

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
sorry i meant stripped the headset got the bearings fully out checked for wear/movement/damage etc.
I didnt dismantle incase it fell to bits, i found a bit of play in there so just gave it a little tweek and the noise has bloody gone!!!! Mad thanks for that tip, sir!!! I had to actually get down and virtually stick my ear on the headtube while rocking the bike to diagnose, i woulda sworn it was the forks but nope, my bad...Never ask me to fix bikes XD

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles