Keldy Forest or Sherwood Pines?

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
Has anyone any experience of either Keldy Forest or Sherwood Pines? I'm looking at a winter break in one of the Forest Holiday locations and want a bit of advice which has the best trails for a few days of play please?

RichKenevo

Nov 6, 2019
UK
Plenty of fun to be had at Sherwood, but at this time of the year the sandy/gravel surface turns into a grinding paste that eats brake pads and bearings, no experience of Keldy Forest though, although it looks like it's only a short drive to Dalby forest from there which is supposed to be really good?

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
Thanks Rich, just in the process of booking as the website is showing a black friday deal.

cat1

Aug 9, 2019
United Kingdom
Thanks Rich, just in the process of booking as the website is showing a black friday deal.
I think you would be dissapointed with Sherwood pines if you are travelling. Its ok if you are local and know some of the other stuff but the red is pretty boring and more like a blue.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have zero knowledge of Keldy Forest (never even heard of it before).

@RichKenevo is correct about the "plenty of fun to be had at Sherwood" especially for all the family. There is not just stuff to be done there but lots of stuff within a few miles for the whole family See "Rufford Abbey" for example. Or "Robin Hood".

He is also correct about the "grinding paste" but that should not bother you for just a few days. It only bothers me after a few months, but be prepared to wash the bike after each ride and to lube the chain etc.

I have been riding there frequently, all year round, for 11 years, so I have very good knowledge of what is there and what to avoid. If you stick to the Forest England trails (red, blue, green and the Bike Park) if it has been raining for a while, then yes it can be wet in Winter. Pines is built on sand and it has the ability to soak up huge amounts of rainfall until the trees go into hibernation and stop drinking. Then all of a sudden the water table fills up and it's wet!
Years ago, in my opinion, the place was unrideable from late October to late February, but not now. The forest rangers have done massive amounts of work on armouring, drainage and where all else fails, re-routing. It is now an all year round destination, and the trails are never unrideable, but there will be puddles!

If you want more than the traditional red & blue trails there is a massive amount of off-piste stuff to be had and it's usually not wet! (with one or two small exceptions). It also can be more challenging than the local red, sometime massively so! The problem is that you need to know where it is! :unsure:

If you message me with when you plan to go, If I can make it, I would be happy to guide you around on one day. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles